This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

154 PTO belt replacement option

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Bomar
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 30281
Tractors Owned: '74 154 Cub Lo-Boy

154 PTO belt replacement option

Postby Bomar » Sun May 19, 2019 7:28 pm

Hey y'all. I wanted to share a success, :tractor: and had a question.

Last fall I burnt up my 2pto belts and I wasn't looking forward to pulling the drive shaft to install them so I tried a set of the linkable belts. It's the 3/8" belt so I did have to order them off eBay , about $40 for 5ft length. Here's an example of why I got ( just sharing Incase someone could use it, I have no connection/gain from this Amazon link) https://www.amazon.com/Jason-Industrial ... Adjustable

I put them on last fall and I've cut my field (1 acre) 6 times with them since, and it's working great, now at least. I run into a couple issues before it was working well enough to brag on it.

First of all there's allot of stretch in these belts. I had to put them on a tight as I could link them with the pull adjusted all the way in and I tightened several times before I was about to remove 2 more links in each belt. I got the belts back on, again starting with the adjustment all the way in. I tightened them up and it's been cutting great since.

The other thing is partly my own lack of thinking. I originally put the belts running in the wrong direction. If anyone is aware they are directional, the tabs on the inside of the belt should be laid down in the direction the pulley spins. They still worked but I think they slipped more because of this. When I took it the 2 more links out I ran them in the right direction.

With them shortened and final torque they have been working great. I have one section of the field that is always wet and grows double the rest. It will still slip just a little if I don't slow down in the thickest area.

I would really recommend these as a quick back up and maybe a long term solution.

For those still with me, my question: has anyone done, or know of a conversion to replace the PTO belts with a chain? I'm thinking someone must have, maybe just wishful thinking. It would be nice to know if I do get into to I'll only have to do it once.

I'm only running because of help I've had from this forum, I hope this helps some one. Thanks guys :hattip:

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

ibdilbert
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 43015
Tractors Owned: Cub Lo Boy 154
Cub Lo Boy 185

Re: 154 PTO belt replacement option

Postby ibdilbert » Sun May 19, 2019 8:22 pm

Thanks for the info and your experience is greatly appreciated! I couldn't get the link to work, but I think this link may be the same link?

https://amzn.to/2Yytac4

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Postby outdoors4evr » Mon May 20, 2019 12:26 pm

The belts from the dealer are very stiff (not flexible and not stretchy). They are also sold in matched pairs.
HamiltonBobsCubs recommends installing one set and then purchasing another set and tie wrapping them off to the side for future use.
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

Bomar
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Bomar » Wed May 22, 2019 2:27 pm

Ibdilbert. Yep that's the one, it was a quick fix that's now working on its second summer.

Outdoors4ever. I know the factory ones would be best and will probably go that route. But not right now when in relying on the mower every week. I got the 154 after sitting in an open field for 3 years where it broke down. So every time I take one thing off another brakes or is so close that I can't leave it, hence my hesitation to swap the belts. I also don't like belts, not that they're bad, but I would rather have a machinical connection of possible. That's why I all of anyone had ever done a swap/adapter for a chain.

mozer71
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 22650

Postby mozer71 » Wed May 22, 2019 4:03 pm

When I was replacing specific deck and pto to deck belt, I went to the IHC dealership in Winchester. A little pricey at the time but very good belts. I had experience with other belts with smaller tractors. The deal is; belts slip and when they slip, they generate a lot of heat. Before you smell burning rubber, heat has worn the faces of arbor shafts' pulley. So you need a belt with grip and the original type work well. My deck doesn't have cast iron pulleys so I can only reface them so much. The terrible times with smaller tractors had cheap welded discs which would deform with heat. That means it changed the contact surface of a belt, which means it was burning the new belt too.
That said, believe me, Anything to get it done. I have some rolls of Link belting but I knew it was the wrong profile. And yes, thanks for mentioning how it stretches. We can skip to chain. Good belts are a trigger to know when it is dang too high or wet. I don't need to kill the 154 today.. maybe tomorrow when its drier. There has to be a weak link somewhere and if it is at the deck, good. Heck. If I run over a stump or abandoned lawn ornament, I Don't want that to destroy my PTO.

Bomar
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Bomar » Thu May 23, 2019 9:39 pm

Mozer71. Thanks for the input, I'm sure I'll end up putting the belts back on and I will definitely go "oem". And I do agree you need a weak link not to blow the PTO, when you do find that stump. I don't know if it's standard but my PTO out put is a v belt. It runs the belly mower. And I figure it's the weak point that would save the drive train.

I'm pretty good at over thinking things so I need to drop the chain idea, and trust the original engineering.

You mentioned refacing pullies. . I replaced the output belt for the mower last year and have noticed the face it's worn already and was wondering if the pully might be or if shape and wearing the belt. They all look fine but I don't know for sure. Some are cast and welded

Is there a way to check and possibly reface them myself (without a lathe or machining equipment)

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Thu May 23, 2019 10:50 pm

I was thinking about replacing the belts then tie wrap two extra belts so when they wear out just cut the older ones off and untie the new belt.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

Bomar
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Bomar » Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:35 pm

Sorry it's been awhile but that's a great idea! All it would take is a quick adjustment to get the new set on

mozer71
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby mozer71 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:16 pm

Great advise. I have owned 154 over 10 years and every time I look at those matched pair, they are tight and good. The weak link is the "king" or master pulley. It has to give when hitting a hidden branch or really tall grass etc. It is the weak link and before that, it is sloppy. Sloppy because there is one key and compression to hold it. I could go on about making a new shaft and welding the first one. I like the Browning design of dual pulley. These are so cool as they grip tight around the shaft/arbor in addition to the key. Also, there is enough metal to them as to be refaced-if needed.
I've been thinking about some way to add metal into our worn steel inside surfaces.

mozer71
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby mozer71 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:37 pm

Sorry. Getting back to the dual PTO belts, You can bet I will wish that I ordered a length of it just like you did. You already provided info and have experience to back that up. Thanks !

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:52 pm

You do not want chains on the pto! --Trust me on that! lol!! --- The pulleys are high speed and need the cushion of the belts to run smooth. Chains would run dry, kink up, and destroy something. also vibrate bad. I been around combine chains and have seen some nasty damage when one gives away! thanks; sonny

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”