This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

184 PTO Clutch Help Needed

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
fordyford
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 37857

184 PTO Clutch Help Needed

Postby fordyford » Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:09 pm

After thrashing for a couple of days R&R-ing a frozen pulley and rear bearing, now the clutch won't activate!! :roll:
Replaced the switch, but same result. Switch has power out to clutch connector plug.

If I connect a 12V jumper to one blade on the clutch plug, does the other blade go to a ground? Clutch should engage, correct?

If some way I messed up the clutch magnet while working on the pulley and bearing, and it has to be replaced, is it attached to the shaft with a hidden nut or just does the shaft just slide in the clutch hub with a keyway? Haven't been in to this before, and I need to K.I.S.S.

Update: Checked the parts manual and it looks like a 5/16 bolt and washer pulls the tapered end of the shaft in to the tapered hub. That taper might be tough to break.

:help:
Last edited by fordyford on Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Some of my ancestors mighta hanged by their necks, but none of them ever hanged by their tails.

mozer71
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 22650

Re: 184 PTO Clutch help

Postby mozer71 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:18 pm

I like your byline. Really it has to be the right blade. Ground is going everywhere, so one part of the coil is more insulated than the other. That's all i can say now. People here will help.

fordyford
10+ Years
10+ Years

Re: 184 PTO Clutch help

Postby fordyford » Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:46 pm

Thanks!
Maybe I can check it through the other plug. Wires are same color going and coming through the loom, so that's no help.

Found the hot terminal in the harness plug. Hooked a jumper to its mate in the clutch's terminal, and the other spade became hot. Does this mean the clutch's coil is closed? Checked the two spades in the terminal for continuity, and there is. :(

Is it toast? :lost:

Thanks in advance!
Some of my ancestors mighta hanged by their necks, but none of them ever hanged by their tails.

mozer71
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 22650

Re: 184 PTO Clutch Help Needed

Postby mozer71 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:41 pm

Seems like it is..fried . You can get all kinds of continuity with shorted coil windings but they don't operate. They appear a dead short to your fuses and generator. There may be some issue with the leads or connector but you can deal with that later. I would spring for a new one or known working one. And PB Blaster while considering this. It's going to come off eventually so let it soak in.

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Postby outdoors4evr » Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:37 am

One side of the coil goes to ground, the other side goes to +12v to engage. It takes a few amps to engage. You should be able to hear the clutch make a clunk sound when power is applied. There is a fuse on the 184 for the PTO. It is located on the dash. Be sure to clean these connections and grease with dielectric grease. The fuse holder is not water tight and it does rust up.

The clutch also won't engage and disengage properly if the clutch bolts are too tight or too loose. (The ones with the springs on them)
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

fordyford
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby fordyford » Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:02 pm

The thing was working just fine until I decided to replace the aggravating noisy rear bearing!
I probably messed up something in the clutch while struggling with the seized rear bearing and pulley. :roll:
Shock transmitting through the shaft and in to the PTO clutch, maybe.
An expensive education! @#!!*-#! :x

Thanks for the responses.