This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Snow plowing questions

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
hoythunter25
Zip Code: 48623

Snow plowing questions

Postby hoythunter25 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:55 am

Hi Gentlemen,
We had our first snow storm in Michigan yesterday and I plowed with my 184 for the first time and she did pretty well (especially for getting caught without my tire chains on). I am using turf tires and an IH 54" front blade. With that being said I have thought of a few questions I am hoping for some thoughts and ideas on.

1. Is there a way to adjust how low the blade goes? Mine didn't seem to get low enough to scrape the ground properly like I would like.
2. What if anything do you guys use for "shoes" for the blade to keep it from digging in too far?
3. Anyway to combat how SLOOOOW the hydraulics drop until half way through plowing when it finally warms up a bit?
4. Has anyone made wings or extensions for this blade? It seems a bit small....(pictures VERY helpful)
5. What are you using for tire chain tensioning? (Pictures or links to buy please).
6. Has anyone switched to the LED headlights? How much brighter are they? (Mine on high seemed just fine but wondering if the LED's are worth the $60).

Thank you for any and all help!! I miss fall already...
received_424403861569610.jpeg
received_424403861569610.jpeg
Attachments
20191111_202902.jpg

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Ojgrsoi
Zip Code: 76087
Tractors Owned: 1973 IH CUB 154 LO BOY
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: @jMark_Randall

Re: Snow plowing questions

Postby Ojgrsoi » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:16 pm

I installed LED headlights this week and they seem somewhat brighter. Additionally I converted for less current draw. My old lights were different brand so the front looked sort of googley-eyed.
It is hard to see with the snow on your blade but do you have the shoes on the back of the moldboard?

Also your setup appears slightly different but would it help if you used the top corner hole on the triangle shaped front pivot? I read in the manual that the hole you are using allows you to lift the blade higher. I don't know if that impacts how much you can lower the blade.
Do you have the red spring shown under the axle? I think it assists with pulling the blade down. It is adjustable.

And quite honestly I have never pushed snow with anything this small. I'm looking forward to snow in Texas. :lol:
Mark

1973 Cub 154 Lo Boy w/3160 Rotary Cutter & 54 Blade
1951 M38

Circle of Safety

mozer71
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 22650

Postby mozer71 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:26 am

Hi. After you read the above info, something to consider. I noticed the 184 blade is packed with snow, even though the blade is angled to the side. This happens to regular snow shovels too and I was fed up with that. There are many products which can be applied to the blade, making it slippery.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:46 am

I never had a 184 so don't know. Is there an adjustable stop on the under-belly rockshaft that limits how far down it goes?

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:30 pm

On the side there’s a verticle bolt and lock nut that limits the rocker shaft movement.
I purchased airport runway lights for headlights. Very bright,
Last edited by BigBill on Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:31 pm

mozer71 wrote:Hi. After you read the above info, something to consider. I noticed the 184 blade is packed with snow, even though the blade is angled to the side. This happens to regular snow shovels too and I was fed up with that. There are many products which can be applied to the blade, making it slippery.

Pam non stick kitchen food spray.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

ajhbike
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 06405
Tractors Owned: 1957 Cub
1951 Super C
1966 IH 504 Hi-Clear
1968 JD 3020
1949 JD B
1949 Ford 8N
1955 Ferguson TO-35

Postby ajhbike » Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:03 pm

I put 6" wings on the side of my plow and they are angled slightly so the snow stays in the plow area...works great

hoythunter25

Postby hoythunter25 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:40 am

Ojgrsoi wrote:I installed LED headlights this week and they seem somewhat brighter. Additionally I converted for less current draw. My old lights were different brand so the front looked sort of googley-eyed.
It is hard to see with the snow on your blade but do you have the shoes on the back of the moldboard?

Also your setup appears slightly different but would it help if you used the top corner hole on the triangle shaped front pivot? I read in the manual that the hole you are using allows you to lift the blade higher. I don't know if that impacts how much you can lower the blade.
Do you have the red spring shown under the axle? I think it assists with pulling the blade down. It is adjustable.

And quite honestly I have never pushed snow with anything this small. I'm looking forward to snow in Texas. :lol:

Mark,

Thanks for the reply, I really appreciate it. I didn't really think about the lower amp draw, but I like that idea and will probably order the LED headlights, where did you get yours?

I do not have the shoes like you have pictured, I will have to try to find some of those that is exactly what I was wondering about.
I do not have the red spring either, I will have to try to track one of those down as well. Any chance you have a picture of where the other end attaches?
I also might try the other hole on the triangular part and see if that makes a difference.

hoythunter25

Postby hoythunter25 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:43 am

mozer71 wrote:Hi. After you read the above info, something to consider. I noticed the 184 blade is packed with snow, even though the blade is angled to the side. This happens to regular snow shovels too and I was fed up with that. There are many products which can be applied to the blade, making it slippery.

Actually the blade is not angled in this picture, it is just the perspective of the picture. Thank you for the suggestion of spraying it with something, I will have to try that. I also think I might try to wire wheel, grind, and paint the blade once I have time so hopefully that helps as well. Thanks for the idea!

hoythunter25

Postby hoythunter25 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:46 am

BigBill wrote:On the side there’s a verticle bolt and lock nut that limits the rocker shaft movement.
I purchased airport runway lights for headlights. Very bright,

I will have to check out and see where that bolt is adjusted on mine, thank you for the suggestion. Do the airport runway lights fit into the grill like the stock lights or did you do modifications? Any pictures?

hoythunter25

Postby hoythunter25 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:50 am

ajhbike wrote:I put 6" wings on the side of my plow and they are angled slightly so the snow stays in the plow area...works great

Did you weld them on? Bolted on? Any chance you could post a picture? It sounds exactly like what I was thinking....

mozer71
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 22650

Postby mozer71 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:16 pm

There is a thread about those "wings" on a plow blade, so there is more info and clever control of them. I think we are mixing, plowing to the side with excavating. I guess it depends on what type blade and how long the snow is going to continue. A berm can only be built so far and then turns to solid ice. Just thinkin' about how cold it already is.

Ojgrsoi
Zip Code: 76087
Tractors Owned: 1973 IH CUB 154 LO BOY
Twitter ID: @jMark_Randall

Postby Ojgrsoi » Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:36 pm

hoythunter25 wrote:
I didn't really think about the lower amp draw, but I like that idea and will probably order the LED headlights, where did you get yours?

I bought them on eBay. They came from Hamiltonbob's. I didn't find these on his web site. I selected them because they work on HI-LOW beam from the switch. This is the current listing on :eBay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-LED-HI-LO-HE ... SwW-1bSRIm

I do not have the shoes like you have pictured, I will have to try to find some of those that is exactly what I was wondering about.

The IH part is:

SHOE, WEARING, IH-651244-R1

There are some listed on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/c/1038551506

@tnestell stated that he purchased some from Barnyard. I don't know what that is but maybe someone will chime in. :help:

I do not have the red spring either, I will have to try to track one of those down as well. Any chance you have a picture of where the other end attaches?

It is hard to get a good photo but here are several. The first shows the original hook on a threaded rod that the spring attaches to. I made a replacement with threaded rod and an "eye" from the doo-dad shelf at tractor supply.
I don't know if the rod is adjusted correctly. I put it together somewhat like I cut the old one off. I have not operated the blade since I installed it. I believe I will need to rearrange the nuts and washers along with making the threaded rod shorter. Another view or two.

If you haven't already looked there is a scanned manual on the 54 blade in the Quick Links at top left. I recently restored my blade and had it all apart. I had to read it quite a few times during installation for it to sink in. :lol: One other thing I did was to install the blade with lynch pins instead of cotter keys.

Mark

1973 Cub 154 Lo Boy w/3160 Rotary Cutter & 54 Blade
1951 M38

Circle of Safety

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Postby outdoors4evr » Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:57 pm

Most of the other guys have tackled a lot of your questions.

1. Is there a way to adjust how low the blade goes? Mine didn't seem to get low enough to scrape the ground properly like I would like.
Adjust the rockshaft stop on the left side of the tractor.
2. What if anything do you guys use for "shoes" for the blade to keep it from digging in too far?
AI bought mine from barnyard and they work great, but mine do keep the blade 1/2" off the ground. I would recommend adding a rubber snowplow cutting edge to get that scraped clean look if you have a paved driveway
3. Anyway to combat how SLOOOOW the hydraulics drop until half way through plowing when it finally warms up a bit?
I don't have the fancy red spring, but will be adding it soon to help! Thanks for the good pics!
4. Has anyone made wings or extensions for this blade? It seems a bit small....(pictures VERY helpful)
Wish I had one wing on the right side. You will need wheel extensions to keep the chains from tearing off your fenders and those make sure your rear tires are running wider than the blade. It could definitely use another 6"
5. What are you using for tire chain tensioning? (Pictures or links to buy please).
I leave mine loose. They work just fine loose. Most people put a rubber strap across the tire to tighten it up.
6. Has anyone switched to the LED headlights? How much brighter are they? (Mine on high seemed just fine but wondering if the LED's are worth the $60).
I have not, but I am intrigued in having more light. A Magnetic 12V light bar is on my Christmas list. The 184 has an alternator with plenty of amperage capacity to feed LOTS of lights! You aren't feeding that PTO clutch while plowing snow
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CG5X7GK/?coliid=I11UVBDSSETXNV&colid=1A6T9K5IYTS20&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MR6WL0M/?coliid=I1K0IFM038KJ9G&colid=1A6T9K5IYTS20&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

ajhbike
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 06405
Tractors Owned: 1957 Cub
1951 Super C
1966 IH 504 Hi-Clear
1968 JD 3020