This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Governor to Carburetor Linkage

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Governor to Carburetor Linkage

Postby outdoors4evr » Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:59 pm

While replacing the throttle cable on my 184, I realized there was a good amount of slop between the actuation of the throttle cable (input to the governor) and the input provided to the carburetor butterfly.
I figured it was time to do the old JB Weld Repair at the governor rockshaft. (can't find the How-To or I'd post a link)

When I pulled the rockshaft, I found the woodruff key just barely stuck up above the shaft. (less than 1/64")
The key appears unworn and was still doing the job - although with minimal contact area.

I think I'll try to find a "taller" woodruff key before applying JB Weld. Perhaps the lack of contact area has significantly worn the governor socket where this key contacts.
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Governor to Carburetor Linkage

Postby Bill Hudson » Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:15 pm

outdoors4evr wrote:… I figured it was time to do the old JB Weld Repair at the governor rockshaft. (can't find the How-To or I'd post a link) ...

This may be the one you're looking for: http://farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=139&t=100217&p=791756&hilit=governor+rockshaft+weld#p791756 Under "Fuel" in the How To forum.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby outdoors4evr » Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:04 am

Thank you for posting the How To. That is exactly the right link.

I failed to find a "taller" woodruff key as to get taller, ya also have to get a larger diameter. I did find another key of the same size at Ace Hardware.
I cleaned the rockshaft thoroughly and then mixed up a small bit of JB Weld. The Epoxy was used to fill in space at the bottom of the keyway. I seated the woodruff key in the slot so that it sticks up higher from the rockshaft (approx 1/8"). Cleaned off all excess epoxy.

When I inserted the shaft into the governor, the key now extended to the top of the keyway and the slop I had noted before was gone. Mounted the rockshaft and attached the carburetor link. Checked for play in the shaft and found it to be acceptable (very little).

Started up the tractor and gave it a little throttle. The governor opened the throttle plate with a yank and almost instantly pulled it right back to a medium throttle setting. This is looking good! Pulled it back to an idle and within an instant it was idling nice and low. :{_}:
- Used to need to goose it (throttle up, then down) to get it to a low idle.

At this point, the tractor itself is ready for another mowing season. Now to start working on the mower deck.
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Gary Dotson » Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:07 am

That is good observation, on your part. I haven't fooled with one of these, for a while, but wonder if that isn't often the real problem. I like your approach to fix it, too. I'll keep this one in mind!

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:07 pm

I have used Loctite on several of them. Never saw ones condition like you described
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:10 pm

Is the key way worn in the shaft or lever? Either way I prefer making a step key from a larger key. I file will make it fit. Even the key slot can be filed to clean it up. Keep it orginal as much as possibly even replace the worn parts with used parts.

Being a machine repair man in a manufacturing company I replaced many nails used as cotter pins in my first week on the job. The punch press operators would pull the nails so they didn’t work. I bent that bigger cotter pin good. I was like the Maytag man after that. I had many different jobs in my lifetime? I wore many hats.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby outdoors4evr » Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:05 am

The woodruff key wasn't worn much and was identical in size with its replacement. My best guess is that the key should have been the next size bigger in diameter without changing the thickness. I failed to find such a size as the only ones found were a larger diameter and a larger thickness.
I think the slop was due to the low engagement surface area. (The key only stuck up above the shaft a slight bit) I think the socket wore rather than the key.
I backfilled the keyway slot in the shaft with epoxy which forced the woodruff key to stick up higher. This engaged unworn metal in the socket and the slop is now gone.
I rolled the back yard this weekend. Was able to just idle along in 3rd gear and the governor responded quickly to the changes in load. I've never had a fast reacting governor before! Loving it!
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”