This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:17 pm

Got started on the 185 again today---gotta take a bunch of parts off the other 185 to get this one going again.

20200407_182221.jpg

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Spike83
Zip Code: 61756
Tractors Owned: 1976 Cub Lo-Boy 185
Cub Lo-Boy 154
Cub Cadet 147
Cub Cadet 127 x4

Re: 185

Postby Spike83 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:04 pm

Sonny,
If you need help with something heavy contact me. Seriously. I’m not that far away.

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Postby outdoors4evr » Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:49 am

What parts will be swapped to get her going? She looks fairly complete.
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby SONNY » Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:12 pm

Key switch rusted out, throttle cable broke, oil light quit working, front tire wont hold air, throw-out bearing 99% gone,generator section not charging, engine not in the best condition, gas bowl leak that I cant stop.---Thats just a few of the things I have to fix on it. switch and throttle cable good on the other one so have them off. The ammeter was some morph that was on it when I got it, fits loose in hole and hard to read, the other dash panel is better so will switch them, also oil light worked on it so will take sender unit also. I have a tube for the front tire,---they are a bear to get in, thats why I kinda like tubeless tires in a way but they can be a pain also. might switch gas tanks as the other one had a good bowl under it. IF at that point the engine still runs, I will try to limp thru another season with it.---If it blows up,-- then I will have to use the other engine at that time. The throw-out bearing in this one is non-grease type so I just dump oil on it every few hours to keep it from going completely out. Clutch peddle return spring is broke so will take one off the other unit.
I wouldn't mess with this one cept it has the creeper gear in it and the other one dont. Without creeper gear they are useless for my type use. (bush-hoggin big weeds) and mowing the roadsides in front of the house. The creeper gear in first with the fat tires hold the steep bank like a magnet. The sunstar has diffy lock and does great but rear end does slide downhill when both wheels spin, 185 stays straight as I ride the right brake and steer uphill with it.
I been trying for 2 years to find parts for this one and finally decided to use my other 185 to keep this one running. The parts unit has tall skinny tires on it and never worked on the ditch mowing very good. I didn't want to use the 154 as a parts unit just yet but if it came down to it that is another option.

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby outdoors4evr » Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:13 am

Oh Sonny, that baby needs a little lovin.
Front tire - I'd probably swap that with the other tractor or get a rear tire from a lawn tractor junkyard.
I'm wondering if the bowl can be fixed with a little teflon tape.
Oil Pressure light - sure the bulb isn't just burned out? I think I'd prioritize this fairly low on the list, though this is a $20 fix to replace everything.
https://hamiltonbobs.com/cart/product/d ... lo-boy-mm4

I think the worst news is the throwout bearing. This job is probably the most difficult to solve on the list. This is almost more difficult than just moving the creeper, driveshaft, and tires to the other tractor.
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby SONNY » Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:39 am

Tires a re the wrong size on the parts guy, but I might get away with just putting a tube in this one ------depending on the cost of tubes! ---ran into that one before!
Got the switch in, the other dash on, key starts and runs the motor, oil light works, throttle cable on but not sure it's set right, shutoff still leaks a bit but will try Johns idea of string in it.
Put a couple quarts of gas in the tank, turned valve on and poured some gas in the intake manifold above the carb. ( take out the pipe plug and pour gas in there), hit it with 400 amp boost and after a few seconds it did start. I ran it for a half hour, couldn't drive it as I just had a big battery sitting on the ground and big jumper cables hooked to the tractor. ( tractor battery dead, will need a new one).
The only way I have ever been able to start this motor is by putting gas in the pipe plug hole ---- I know the motor has always been weak, that's why I need to put the motor from the parts unit in this one.
Did try the clutch and it did release, ( kinda shocked me, after sitting 2 years), mower clutch still works like it did, so I am getting closer to mowing with it again,--well til the motor blows up! lol!

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby outdoors4evr » Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:24 am

Great Progress! Keep up the good work and she'll be in good mowing condition!
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby SONNY » Wed May 13, 2020 9:56 am

Got the blades sharpened, everything greased, put string in the gas shutoff as John suggested and it worked. still need new battery, also generator section not charging. Anyway I used the jumper box on it and got the motor started again and went out to bushog a big weed patch. Ran o.k. for 4 hours then died,--it got tired and so was I so I let it set for the night. Ole motor is really weak, still has enough oil pressure to turn the light off when its running.
Hit a big bunch of weeds and the governor opens, but nothing there to pick up on so it dies like turning the key off. ---I know the motor is weak. It dont use much oil, maybe a pint in 8 or 10 hours non stop run time which aint bad. It has a little blowby, ( bout normal amount) and never smokes out the muffler so I keep mowing for now!
I like it for the areas that are a bit ruff for the sunstar and not bad enough to need using the C-80 on the WD-45.
In L-1 it will crawl thru just about anything that I usually need to mow. GOTTA love creeper gear in these guys!---Makes them a real mower!

popeye2347
Zip Code: 42066

Postby popeye2347 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:54 pm

re Generator. Have you flashed the field?

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby SONNY » Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:20 am

Been sick/down ---- cancer makes me weak all of the time. Internet here is off more than on, so I cant post much. Garden was a struggle but we processed a lot of stuff for winter, so good in that department.
I got new battery and had everything working good, mowed a LOT with it this year before the starter went out. starter on the parts tractor is also dead. Before I can go any further----will have to have one of the starters rebuilt for next year. old motor still rattles and runs, dont use oil or smoke so I kept using it.
Got a 154 with a funky front blade on it and 3-pt. that was s'posed to run---dont know for sure but the trucker said he started it and drove it up on his truck. --- He stopped for fuel and lunch somewhere along the way and when he got here the battery was gone! He was PO'D to say the least! anyway the new battery I put on the 185 will work for now when I can get energy enough to put it in the 154.

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”