This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

154 clutch question.

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Dan Stuckey
10+ Years
10+ Years

154 clutch question.

Postby Dan Stuckey » Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:06 pm

Very familiar with the regular Farmall Cubs, had a 1949 for 20 great years. Know nothing about the numbered list boys. Going to look at one tomorrow. Pics looks pretty nice and is to start and run good according to the seller. Price is 1600 bucks.

My question on the clutch, is it a live clutch or operate like my old cub where if the pto is engaged and I push in the clutch while in gear to stop the tractor, the mower also stops. Does the 154 pto also do the same as you push in the clutch, mower also stops.

Also any Particular things I should look at on the mower? Tks for any insight on this, pretty 154 rookie rt now.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: 154 clutch question.

Postby Eugene » Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:48 pm

The PTO is seperate from the clutch. PTO engaged/disengaged with or without the engine clutch.

Check to see that the hydraulics work. Works independent of clutch and PTO. Also check for diverter valve, located on flat panel between operator's knees.

$1600- sounds about right for a good working 154. My opinion, for $1600- I would purchase another Cub or go towards a bigger tractor.

Check the mower deck spindles and pulley attachment of the spindles over carefully. The numbered Cubs are good mower tractors - not very good at anything else. I own one.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Dan Stuckey
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dan Stuckey » Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:51 pm

Eugene wrote:The PTO is seperate from the clutch. PTO engaged/disengaged with or without the engine clutch.

Check to see that the hydraulics work. Works independent of clutch and PTO. Also check for diverter valve, located on flat panel between operator's knees.

$1600- sounds about right for a good working 154. My opinion, for $1600- I would purchase another Cub or go towards a bigger tractor.

Check the mower deck spindles and pulley attachment of the spindles over carefully. The numbered Cubs are good mower tractors - not very good at anything else. I own one.

I just need a mower for probably one or two years tomorrow our churches picnic grounds. I had a very nice cub I had put a 185 engine into it enjoyed the extra power but unfortunately I sold it as the picnic grounds were to be sold but it’s sort of a messed up deed on the property and I want to keep it in good shape until It is actually sold which could be a year or two.

Just watch does the diverter valve do and also how do I test it. thank you. Try to post some pics.

Dan Stuckey
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dan Stuckey » Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:55 pm

Picture 1.
Attachments
3D464583-D9E6-4231-A202-EA99B46F165B.jpeg

Dan Stuckey
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dan Stuckey » Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:58 pm

Picture 2
Attachments
258A21FE-B965-4955-953C-A1958296E5A4.jpeg

Dan Stuckey
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dan Stuckey » Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:58 pm

Picture 3
Attachments
C65E177C-04CB-4B68-A4CD-2748253991EE.jpeg

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:04 pm

Dan Stuckey wrote:Just what does the diverter valve do and also how do I test it. thank you.
Blocks off the hydraulic fluid to one implement, usually mower, and lets you operate another implement with the a 3-point.

Some numbered Cubs have the diverter valve, some don't. Not a big deal either way. There is a locking bar on left front side of the tractor to hold the mower deck in position while you operate the 3-point.

To operate a diverter valve, pull the top/button up or push down.

In case the tractor has creeper geering, test it. Lever to the left of operators calf with clutch depressed.

Edit. No diverter valve or creeper in the photos.
Edit, again. Choke control on carb? Air cleaner hose? Something to the left of gear shift lever, hole, control? Missing gear shift knob. Radiator cap not original. Implement on front of tractor? Side panel missing on right side of tractor. Hood not fastened down. Lynch pin in carburetor control rod, just behind the radiator?
Edit. Something tells me to carefully check out this tractor before purchasing. If you do decide to purchase, get the price down to $800- to $1000-. You are going to have some things to fix.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:50 pm

Front backets look like snow plow. See if they have the rest of it.
One or two years of some church property? Hire it done!

Dan Stuckey
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dan Stuckey » Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:57 pm

Eugene wrote:
Dan Stuckey wrote:Just what does the diverter valve do and also how do I test it. thank you.
Blocks off the hydraulic fluid to one implement, usually mower, and lets you operate another implement with the a 3-point.

Some numbered Cubs have the diverter valve, some don't. Not a big deal either way. There is a locking bar on left front side of the tractor to hold the mower deck in position while you operate the 3-point.

To operate a diverter valve, pull the top/button up or push down.

In case the tractor has creeper geering, test it. Lever to the left of operators calf with clutch depressed.

Edit. No diverter valve or creeper in the photos.
Edit, again. Choke control on carb? Air cleaner hose? Something to the left of gear shift lever, hole, control? Missing gear shift knob. Radiator cap not original. Implement on front of tractor? Side panel missing on right side of tractor. Hood not fastened down. Lynch pin in carburetor control rod, just behind the radiator?
Edit. Something tells me to carefully check out this tractor before purchasing. If you do decide to purchase, get the price down to $800- to $1000-. You are going to have some things to fix.

I’ll be careful to ck out choke and throttle rods at carb. The lynch pin you speak of. Would that be like a cotter pin to secure rod to carb? And are you suggesting to ck condition of air cleaner hose or did you see a problem in pic. You have some sharp eyes and def giving me good scoop for tomorrow

Dan Stuckey
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dan Stuckey » Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:02 pm

Jim Becker wrote:Front backets look like snow plow. See if they have the rest of it.
One or two years of some church property? Hire it done!

We looked into hiring and cost was 8,000 a year to keep it mowed as well as I’ve been doing it the past 20 years. So sorry I sold my original cub. Was fixed up perfect and I knew it so well. Just a bit reluctant to get another Cub because of the lower hp and having a 59” deck in case the grass gets a bit long. Live and learn. And you’ve given me some great help over the years for my “Ernie”.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:27 pm

Missed the first photo. Chock appears correct, cable controlled.

Lynch pin should be a pin with cotter pin.

Hose from air cleaner to carb should be all black, thus the question.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Dan Stuckey
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dan Stuckey » Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:48 pm

Eugene wrote:Missed the first photo. Chock appears correct, cable controlled.

Lynch pin should be a pin with cotter pin.

Hose from air cleaner to carb should be all black, thus the question.

Tks so much for all your info/help

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:59 pm

Bi-weekly mower church service. The farmers I know have riding lawn mowers to keep the gras around the house in trim.
I have an excuse. CRS.

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Postby outdoors4evr » Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:56 am

These are great mowing machines. Eugene assembled a very good list. It looks like this tractor does not have a creeper or a 3-point hitch. (can't really tell by the pictures) Look in the hole by the left knee for a rod or see if there is a lever with a rod missing behind the tin.
Also, does this tractor have one brake pedal or two? One pedal would indicate an older 154.

I don't know what area you are in, but different areas of the country have higher or lower prices.
Example: Pennsylvania has lower prices than Michigan. In Michigan, this tractor would be $1000 and each implement would add another $250.
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

Dan Stuckey
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dan Stuckey » Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:26 am

outdoors4evr wrote:These are great mowing machines. Eugene assembled a very good list. It looks like this tractor does not have a creeper or a 3-point hitch. (can't really tell by the pictures) Look in the hole by the left knee for a rod or see if there is a lever with a rod missing behind the tin.
Also, does this tractor have one brake pedal or two? One pedal would indicate an older 154.

I don't know what area you are in, but different areas of the country have higher or lower prices.
Example: Pennsylvania has lower prices than Michigan. In Michigan, this tractor would be $1000 and each implement would add another $250.

This must be a older. One pedal.
Attachments
696A3712-337C-438A-B3D7-6C5642302A10.jpeg