This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Adding original selector valve to early 154

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Thisoldtruck
Zip Code: 54455

Adding original selector valve to early 154

Postby Thisoldtruck » Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:20 pm

Hello,

I’m new to the forums and this is my first post. I have an early style 154 from 1969 that has a 60” Woods mower deck and what seems to be the original 3 point hitch on the back.

My tractor doesn’t have the selector valve and it doesn’t look like the frame or top cover are punched with the holes to add one. I’m just wondering if there is a template to use to locate these holes in the top cover? I’ll have to figure out where to drill the holes in the frame for the bracket.

The selector valve I have came off a newer model parted out 154 that had the newer style control valve under the dash.

Any help would be great.

Thanks
Andy

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Adding original selector valve to early 154

Postby Eugene » Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:59 pm

I'm assuming you want to lock out the 3-point.

Check your operator's manual for the lock out bar. It's probably not present. It attaches to the 3-point on the right side of the 3-point. The exact location is from memory. Tired and don't feel like looking it up.

Forget the selector valve. If you are going to use the 3-point, there is a lock out screw on the left side of the tractor, in front of the left driver's foot to lock the mower in the elevation position. Again the operator's manual.

Welcome.

One more post and you can print out the manuals for the numbered Cubs.

The service manuals for the tractor has the hydraulic plumbing for the tractor.

Edit. Next morning. You will need the parts manual if you still intend to install a diverter valve. The hydraulic system parts differ, depending on the tractor's serial number.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Thisoldtruck

Postby Thisoldtruck » Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:48 pm

I just don't see how that adjuster screw can be adjusted low enough to keep the mower deck high enough while using the 3 point hitch. In this picture, the mower deck is fully in the upright position, along with the 3 point hitch in the back. Besides that, I'll be using the mower and rake on the 3 point hitch fairly often anyways. So moving that screw just to lock the mower deck all the time just seems silly and not to mention, would eventually strip out from constant adjustments.
Attachments
AdjusterScrew.jpg

Thisoldtruck

Postby Thisoldtruck » Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:55 pm

Here is the selector valve I have. Like I said, it's from a newer tractor. But the parts manual doesn't seem to suggest another version selector valve used for older or newer tractors. It does show different CONTROL valves used under the dash for earlier tractors.
Attachments
Selector Valve Floor extra small.jpg

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Postby outdoors4evr » Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:36 am

Looks like you got the whole setup there. I thought the frame is already drilled. Holes should be on the right side frame rail (lower section)

This pic is from a 184 and I didn't have the hard line. Maybe you can see the mounting idea from this. Plumbing mileage may vary.
HydraulicSelector.JPG

I LOVE not having to use the stupid lockout bar! It is worth installing the valve!
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Postby outdoors4evr » Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:43 am

Mount the selector valve. Paint the top of the valve and mounting bolt near the threads with white-out and then set the tunnel cover on it.
The white-out (or wet paint) will mark the spots you need to drill.
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade