This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Identification/New Owner

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
TienBien
Zip Code: 46160

Identification/New Owner

Postby TienBien » Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:58 pm

I've been browsing the farmallcub website for a few days now and decided to join and be a part of the community. I purchased a Cub Lo Boy 154 over memorial day weekend for $500. Had a bad battery but cranks right up now and runs, drives, shifts, etc. great.

I know/assume its a 154 as it has the hood with decals and is a match for the 154 pictures posted here. What I don't know is the year as my tag is heavily worn and all I can make out is the actual numbers stamped into it. I originally thought the serial number was 028530 which is clear as day on the tag as whoever stamped it was on point that day. But reading the forum I see that the serial numbers shouldn't start with a 0 and that it is likely the model number. Maybe this doesn't matter as the differences in production years are slim?

My interest in knowing what I have exactly is that it came with no mow deck or attachments and I'd like to use it for mowing my 15 acres, plowing the driveway in winter, and working a vegetable garden. The previous owner welded a 2" hitch to the rail on the back below the PTO and put a 3 point hitch into that with an electric raise/lower cylinder... My feeling is that this isn't optimal and I also realize the 154 is somewhat flimsy compared to the modern subcompact tractors but I don't have $30k+ to drop on a new one with FEL, backhoe, brush hog, belly mower...

Any help or suggestions on production year and where to scrounge up a plow, belly mower, proper 3 point hitch... would be greatly appreciated

Tyler

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Identification/New Owner

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:56 pm

Ignore the leading zero. It is a '73. Year doesn't matter much. There are some parts that only apply to certain ranges of serial number.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:24 pm

One more post and you can down load the manuals related to Numbered-Cubs. Upper left, Quick Links.

Mower decks suitable for the Numbered-Cubs are relatively available.

Other implements are much harder to find and expensive.

As an owner of a 154, it's a great mower tractor. Not much more than that.

Parts are readily available.

Before you purchase any implements or tractor parts, study the manuals for the tractor and the desired implement.
I have an excuse. CRS.

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Postby outdoors4evr » Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:37 am

Would love to see the 3-point contraption built. The numbered series have a 3-point option that is fairly capable.
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

TienBien
Zip Code: 46160

Postby TienBien » Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:04 am

Thanks everyone for the advice. I've found some things on facebook marketplace that look promising. Pretty sure I can get a functional belly mower but not sure on which one; Woods 59 vs 3260 vs 3160A vs whatever else might work. Would like whatever is closest to a finish mower as I don't really have any rough areas that are grass. As I open the land up a little I might need a brush hog but that's a next season problem.

I found a model 54 plow in decent shape for sale close by but I also read alot of complaints on here about it being too narrow once you angle it. I haven't found anything else on here that's recommended as a snow plow.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:57 am

Any of the mowers you listed will do a good job as a lawn mower. Make sure the mower fits your tractor and that you have all of the parts required to mount the mower on your tractor. Take the manual for the mower with you when you check it out. Missing parts can be an expensive problem.

Brush hogging. I have pasture to mow. My 154 with the 3260 mower isn't capable of mowing 3 foot tall fescue. I use a bigger tractor.

Again. Spend time getting acquainted with the tractor and it's capabilities before purchasing any equipment. For some tasks, the 154 is not suitable.
I have an excuse. CRS.

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Postby outdoors4evr » Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:06 am

As Eugene stated, any of those mowers are suitable as a finish mower. All still have plenty of parts available.
Regarding the 54 plow, it is wide enough to clear the front tires, but will only clear the rear tires without wheel spacers (wheel spacers are required for chains).

For next year, I would suggest renting a tractor with brushhog or hiring the bush hogging to clear land.
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade