This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Leaking bad from final drive…need help

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Ephillips2582
Zip Code: 37354

Leaking bad from final drive…need help

Postby Ephillips2582 » Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:39 pm

Hi y’all, I’ve got a 184 that has begun leaking bad from the final drive. I’d say a 2’ x 2’ spot in the matter of two days. I’m not educated enough to tell you exactly where it is leaking by name. But it’s dripping directly in the center of the final, and towards the front. It looks like there are two gaskets? Each appear to be leaking. I attempted to attach photos, but was told they were to large. Both by adding from my photos and by taking the photo. No luck either way. I’ve had no leak spots on my garage floor, so never climb under it to look. Apparently it’s been leaking a long while, but never left spots. Weird, I know.

My issue is, I’m confident I can do the repairs/replacements, but I just don’t know the procedure. Where do I start? What order does it need to be done in? What time frame can I expect? What parts will I need? What parts should I also replace while I’m at it?

This is my first lo-boy. I’ve had it about a year. Mows great. And it’s my only mower. Have a 2 acre yard. I reeeaaaalllly don’t want to push mow it again. 7 miles of walking! So need it fixed stat!

Thanks y’all!

-Evan

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Leaking bad from final drive…need help

Postby Gary Dotson » Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:57 am

By the term “final drive” we are generally referring to the gear case at each rear wheel. When say “center of the final drive” it leads me to think you are actually referring to the transmission/ differential. If you get under there and look, you’ll see a 1/2” pipe nipple that is screwed into the bottom of the housing, facing the front of the tractor. It has the hydraulic suction hose attached to it. I’ve seen more than 1 of those nipples crack and the leak is exactly as you have described. It’s simple hardware store item and the worst part of the job is the you have to drain and refill the system. It drains at that nipple. This is a good time to replace the fluid and filter.

Ephillips2582

Postby Ephillips2582 » Sun Jun 27, 2021 4:16 pm

Thanks. I’ll crawl under it hopefully this week and see what you’re talking about. I’m gone for work 12 hours a day mon-fri. I’ve got the service manual. And looking at the diagram for the transmission, could it be leaking from the countershaft nut? Shaft oil seal?

Could you post a picture of the 1/2” pipe nipple? I’ve got a pipe coming from the left side of the tractor (if you’re sitting on it) then 90ing and running to the back? This is strictly based off the pictures I took. I didn’t take a picture of where that pipe comes from or goes to though. I’ll look at then when I can climb under it again.

Thanks for the info so far!

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Sun Jun 27, 2021 4:54 pm

No, I have no pic. of it but it’s a simple pipe nipple, about 6” long. I’d be surprised if those other locations would leak so much so suddenly.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:13 pm

Parts manual, free down load, upper left Quick Links, them the manuals section.

Parts manual will show where each individual part goes.
I have an excuse. CRS.

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Postby outdoors4evr » Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:54 am

Most likely, the transmission is overfilled and the oil is flowing out of the brake holes. The oil travels down the transmission or final drive case till it finds a low point, then drips off.
Over time, water accumulates in the transmission due to condensation or time spent outside in the weather.
I would start by draining the transmission and each final drive and refilling with the right amount of clean fresh Hytran oil.
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

Ephillips2582

Postby Ephillips2582 » Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:56 pm

Update. I crawled underneath, cleaned the bottom of the transmission as well as the 1/2” pipe. After a day of sitting post cleaning, it is still dripping from two areas, maybe an inch apart, that appear to be seals or gaskets, towards the front of the transmission. This is above the 1/2” pipe. I do have a 3 point as well as creeper gear. I believe it’s the gasket between the creeper and the transmission?

Side note, anyone know where the drain plug is for the transmission? It is not directly underneath on that 3” smooth spot, which was suggested on another post.

Thanks for the help so far!

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:14 pm

That pipe nipple I mentioned is your trans drain.

Ephillips2582

Postby Ephillips2582 » Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:33 pm

Great! Thanks. I’ve spoken to others that had an actual drain nipple on the very bottom, pointing downwards, on that 3” flat spot