This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Solid-State regulator upgrade

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
toehead
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 01756

Solid-State regulator upgrade

Postby toehead » Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:20 pm

My regulator on the 154 died for the 3rd time, so I set out to find a solid-state upgrade.

I found lots of upgrade that are NLA: most by small companies or individuals who are not around anymore.

The solution I ended up going with is a Bosch part made for air-cooled VWs that use a generator.

This is Bosch PN 30019, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004A ... UTF8&psc=1

One caveat, the case is HOT during operation (Not sure why it was designed this way) . You need to make sure you don't have anything tat can possible hit it during use. It's about the same size as the stock regulator and can easily fit in the same spot.
Bosch.jpg

I took the bracket from the existing regulator, cut the rivets, bent the ears our, and added mounting studs for the Bosch unit.
Bracket.jpg
Bracket1.jpg

Wired it up, and good to go.

mounted.jpg

The charge indicator is much mores stable, no bouncing or pulsing like the points regulator. It also charges at a lower RPM than it did with the points regulator.

I'll report back if I have any issues, but for now it is a good upgrade.

toehead
5+ Years
5+ Years

Re: Solid-State regulator upgrade

Postby toehead » Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:36 am

No issues after a testing phase. Looks like a substantial increase in charging capacity at idle and responsiveness to load

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Tue Jul 06, 2021 3:29 pm

Check your ground wire. I had problems with my first 154 turned out to be not grounded good.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

toehead
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby toehead » Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:45 pm

I've got the starter/regulator grounded by a nice large-gauge wire (you can see it disconnected in the image I posted).

My regulators keep burning out the internal windings, usually the wire that goes to charge the battery. I've also had them foul (needed the points cleaned).

The solid state one was cheaper and will hopefully be more reliable :)

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:56 am

NEVER had problem with the good old point reg's! ---- sounds like you have a wire problem down the line. Check for bad wires/loose wires/bad ground/etc. or other damage. Hidden corroded wires are the worst and hard to trace down and can cause a lot of misery! lol!

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:02 pm

I bought all the terminal ends and wire to retire my 154’s. The orginal wiring is old. It needs to be replaced. I figure to make my own harnesses. I purchased a replacement harness but it was a 154 universal harness it didn’t go well. Too many extra wires.

1. Charging system generator amp gauge
2. Ignition on/off ballast resistor
3. Push button starter switch
4. Lights
5. Oil pressure gauge.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

toehead
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby toehead » Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:05 pm

Yes, i've rewired it as well with my own harness (there are no stock wires left). The issue that precipitated a lot of this was a dead cell in the battery that was taking too much charging current. It's since been replaced but it had already taken out the regulator. It's my fault for being cheap and running a used/crappy car battery.

Even so, this solid state unit is a great upgrade and really what I was trying to get across :) The voltage is much more stable and it can charge at a much lower RPM. It also compensates for load better than the old unit.