This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

154 clutch

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
nat
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 27292

154 clutch

Postby nat » Fri Mar 18, 2022 3:18 pm

I was out grooming my gravel drive with my 73 Cub 154. everything was working fine until I was nearly finished and when I depressed the clutch it felt like I was also mashing the brakes. I started back to the shop to check it out and the clutch started slipping so bad that it wouldn't pull itself along. I noticed that when I depressed the clutch it seemed to want to pull itself along. I found that with the clutch depressed about 1/2 way it would pull itself enough to get to the shop. I removed the tunnel cover but saw nothing out of place that I could see. The clutch discs appear to be about 1/4 inch thick and the PO had told me that he had replaced the clutch so it shouldn't be worn out. What is my problem

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: 154 clutch

Postby Eugene » Fri Mar 18, 2022 5:13 pm

There is a bolt holding the pressure plate to the transmission's main shaft. Check to see if the bolt has been sheared.

If that's not the problem, have to disassemble and inspect the clutch disk and drive shaft.

A thought. Something I would try is: engine running, brakes engaged, clutch depressed, transmission in gear, let out the clutch. Visual inspection should tell you where/what is slipping.
I have an excuse. CRS.

nat
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby nat » Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:18 pm

I'll check it tomorrow

nat
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby nat » Sat Mar 19, 2022 11:00 am

Well, I went out again this morning and looked to see what was slipping, The clutch, pressure plate, AND the flywheel are all turning. Depress the clutch, put it in gear , release the clutch and the clutch, pressure plate and the flywheel are all turning again so something must be sheared off where the flywheel connects to the Transmission

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Sat Mar 19, 2022 11:27 am

Eugene wrote:There is a bolt holding the pressure plate to the transmission's main shaft. Check to see if the bolt has been sheared.
Fairly easy fix.
I have an excuse. CRS.

nat
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby nat » Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:59 pm

Thanks f0or the help. It is the flywheel bplt sheared off. I also had to go to town for a new bolt. I had plenty of machine grade bolts but I figured that since you have to take it this far apart to replace a sheared bolt I would put in a good bolt