This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

154 random frequent misfire

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Duner
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Re: 154 random frequent misfire

Postby Duner » Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:11 pm

Coil has been on tractor for years and is the same as when I purchased the tractor.
I can't find any labels on the coil. I thought all 154.185 and 184 came from factory with true 12 volt coil with no external resister needed. I have spare coils and will try one or three to see what happens.

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Gary Dotson » Tue Apr 04, 2023 7:32 am

Just measure across the two post with an ohm meter. Internal resister coil will measure in the 3 ohm range, non internal resister will measure approx. 1.5 ohm,

Duner
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Duner » Tue Apr 04, 2023 4:37 pm

The coil on tractor is 3 ohm.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Tue Apr 04, 2023 5:25 pm

I've been following this thread, but not had any useful suggestions. There are only two things I can think of that a running alternator could produce that causes the problem: 1) voltage too high for some component. 2) some weird (possibly) FR noise that causes a component to misbehave. I guess you could do some experiments to try to prove one or the other. You could try temporarily adding a ballast resistor to the circuit (even though the coil doesn't call for one). If it makes the problem go away, voltage is the problem. Of course, that still won't tell you which component is the problem. The other diagnostic trick that comes to mind would be to add a choke to the output line of the alternator, something like a ferrite ring. If I was to try that, I wouldn't be sure I had actually done anything. Again, if it worked you still wouldn't know what component was the problem.

It seems the condenser is the part most likely to be sensitive to either of these. You have replaced it. But have you only done that once? New condensers these days don't seem to have much quality control. There is a significant chance that you replaced an old bad condenser with a new bad condenser. Try another one, preferably one you can temporarily rob out of something that is working.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Tue Apr 04, 2023 8:06 pm

Jim Becker wrote:I've been following this thread, but not had any useful suggestions. There are only two things I can think of that a running alternator could produce that causes the problem: 1) voltage too high for some component.
Duner wrote:Disconnect Delco 10si alternator, miss goes away. Install Delco 12si . Still misses.
Voltage check at battery.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Duner
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Duner » Wed Apr 12, 2023 8:18 pm

Voltage was OK. 14.2 when I first started it and 13.6 volts a bit later.
I will post back when I get it figured out. You can bet it will be really simple or stupid .
Thanks!

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”