This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

First 154 running into issues

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
cplatte
Zip Code: 48881

First 154 running into issues

Postby cplatte » Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:54 pm

Hi all, just bought a lo-boy 154 (my first tractor) and I'm running into a few issues. Previous owner replaced sparked plugs, cleaned the carb and it was running great when I picked it up a week ago. Noticing that it feels underpowered and is stalling while going at a slight incline, even in 1st without attachments. Another issue is fuel leaking from multiple places on the carburetor. I know this is a common problem with these and it looks like someone previously replaced gaskets, not sure how urgently this needs to be fixed. Newest issue is a rattling/clanging under the seat. After taking the cover I see the clutch brake bolt is being hit by the spinning clutch. I am also having issues with the clutch sticking/not releasing at all when the clutch pedalnos pressed. The whole clutch brake and bolt apparatus seems loose as well. In the manual there are two springs on this bolt but I only see a front one on mine. Could this be part of the issue or is there more going on here/how could I address it? Thank you in advance!

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: First 154 running into issues

Postby Eugene » Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:37 am

Welcome. So far no big issue.

Rattle under the seat is most likely the flywheel brake being loose or out of adjustment. Flywheel brake puck parts can be purchased from HamiltonBobs, advertiser, bottom of this page.

Engine clutch release, clutch return spring is probably missing/broken.

Under powered. Compression tests. The C-60 engine tends to stick valves if it sits for very long. Also check ignition timing.

Carb flooding. Use an IH carb kit from one of this site's advertisers.

One more post and you can down load free manuals, Quick Links, upper left on this page.
I have an excuse. CRS.

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:47 pm

Its gonna feel under powered cause you only have 9 hp when it was new! First off check the compression to see if it has any,---- then set the valves to specs. IF still no compression -----motor rebuild time.

rednax
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1977 International 184
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby rednax » Wed Feb 15, 2023 1:37 pm

If it's leaking gas from around the gasket, the carburetor could be warped from over tightening it.
http://farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=100213
Circle of Safety

ibdilbert
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 43015
Tractors Owned: Cub Lo Boy 154
Cub Lo Boy 185

Postby ibdilbert » Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:40 pm

The secret to these engines is not the HP, its the torque. The 154's only have 14hp from the factory, but you would never guess it when they are tuned and running properly. I can mow up hill with mine and it doesn't even struggle, but it took some work to get it there.

If you are low on power, start by fixing the leaky carb. They are easy to rebuild even with little experience. I also suggest you check your points, if it hasn't been converted to electronic ignition. Worn points will rob power when it is needed!

As for the clutch issues, comb through YouTube, there are some decent videos regarding how to repair and rebuild them.