This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Different starter/generator setups on 154s

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Different starter/generator setups on 154s

Postby Eugene » Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:27 pm

garmarnarnar wrote:I can't turn it off without just letting it run out of gas. It was wired up with a separate switch that connects the alternator to the battery for some reason, and switching both that and the ignition off doesn't actually stop it from firing.
The switch is used to activate/initiate the alternator. Once the alternator starts charging the switch is turned off.

You have a wiring problem, the alternator is back feeding the ignition circuit.
I have an excuse. CRS.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

garmarnarnar
Zip Code: 000000
Tractors Owned: 68 Lo-Boy 154
72 Lo-Boy 154 with alternator/starter mod

Postby garmarnarnar » Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:57 pm

Either way, I want to completely gut and rewire this correctly since there are a lot of ugly patches in the wiring harness. I'm just not sure what the correct wiring should be.

This diagram is what I pieced together, but I'm not 100% sure. I also don't have a keyed ignition switch so I'm just going to use a toggle switch and button for now.
Attachments
154Wiring.png

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:43 am

Your diagram looks pretty good except there would not normally be a fuse in the alternator wire. If you choose to put one there, it will need to be about a 60 amp fuse.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:35 am

You need to identify the alternator. The wiring is different for a 3 wire alternator. Single wire alternator - good.

Fuse should go immidiately to the right side of the ignition switch. Then you would only need a 15 or 20 amp fuse.
I have an excuse. CRS.

garmarnarnar
Zip Code: 000000
Tractors Owned: 68 Lo-Boy 154
72 Lo-Boy 154 with alternator/starter mod

Postby garmarnarnar » Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:50 am

Gary Dotson wrote:Your diagram looks pretty good except there would not normally be a fuse in the alternator wire. If you choose to put one there, it will need to be about a 60 amp fuse.

I just put the fuse there because there was one there when I got the tractor. Its actually a 25A breaker, but same thing in effect. If it serves no actual purpose I'll just use that for my lighting circuit instead.

Eugene wrote:You need to identify the alternator. The wiring is different for a 3 wire alternator. Single wire alternator - good.

Fuse should go immidiately to the right side of the ignition switch. Then you would only need a 15 or 20 amp fuse.

This is a single wire, which is good because they are so much simpler.

With any luck I'll get this wired up today and take a few laps around the property just to show off.

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”