This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

PTO question

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
1suffolkmare
Zip Code: 29212

PTO question

Postby 1suffolkmare » Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:17 am

I'm new to the 184. My neighbor gave me his old tractor last fall. It did not run. I have it running now that I have replaced the battery, spark plugs, coil, points and condensor, and put on new spark plug wires. It's seems to be running ok.
I have read through the forums some but I still have two questions:

What size is the fan belt for a 1980 184? The one on the tractor looks frayed.

Should the pto belts spin constantly even when the pto is not engaged or does this need some sort of adjustment?

Thanks for the input.

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Re: PTO question

Postby outdoors4evr » Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:43 am

1suffolkmare wrote: What size is the fan belt for a 1980 184? The one on the tractor looks frayed.

Take the fan belt to an auto parts store. (old school place like NAPA is probably best) They can match up the length for a new one. HamiltonBobsCubs (forum sponsor with an advertisement at the bottom) probably has a high quality replacement, but I didn't see one listed so you would have to call them to order the part.

1suffolkmare wrote: Should the pto belts spin constantly even when the pto is not engaged or does this need some sort of adjustment?

The PTO belts on a 184 spin all the time the engine is running.
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

1suffolkmare
Zip Code: 29212

Postby 1suffolkmare » Tue Mar 07, 2023 2:29 pm

Thanks for the replies.

Brynki
Zip Code: 21921
Tractors Owned: Early 70s Cub 154 LoBoy

Postby Brynki » Sun Mar 26, 2023 3:07 pm

New Cub LowBoy owner here, too. I found a bunch of different sizes listed online and bought a couple. None of them worked. I called up HamiltonBob's and talked to them for a few minutes, told them what I was able to surmise from what I had for internet research, they (politely) corrected a couple of my suppositions and then told me what I needed. I went with what they told me and it was correct. Great guys. I looked at Amazon to compare some prices. HamiltonBob's is an Amazon seller and their prices seem to be setting the standard. I'll cut out the middle man, unless I have an Amazon gift card, and order straight from them.

dgrapes59
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45067
Tractors Owned: 1951 Cub, 2-1955 Loboy w FH, a few plows, discs, mowers, blades, carrier & such
Several '61 CC Originals, Cub Cadet 100, several 102's & 122's, 124, various CC options & implements, #1Trailer, 1963 Springfield, JD 770, Ford 8N
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby dgrapes59 » Sun Mar 26, 2023 6:54 pm

Brynki wrote:New Cub LowBoy owner here, too. I found a bunch of different sizes listed online and bought a couple. None of them worked. I called up HamiltonBob's and talked to them for a few minutes, told them what I was able to surmise from what I had for internet research, they (politely) corrected a couple of my suppositions and then told me what I needed. I went with what they told me and it was correct. Great guys. I looked at Amazon to compare some prices. HamiltonBob's is an Amazon seller and their prices seem to be setting the standard. I'll cut out the middle man, unless I have an Amazon gift card, and order straight from them.

Hamilton Bob's is a great resource and a they are a class act, not to mention a site sponsor! We are fortunate to have them part of the Cub community!
David