This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

LoBoy 154 coughs, but won’t start

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
elmrfudd
Zip Code: 43413

Re: LoBoy 154 coughs, but won’t start

Postby elmrfudd » Sat Apr 08, 2023 8:30 pm

OK, thanks Stan! I also found a service manual earlier today at:
http://manuals.mtdproducts.com/mtd/Safe ... ction4.pdf

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Gary Dotson » Sun Apr 09, 2023 8:08 am

Your drive clutch problem might be the clutch disc stuck to either the flywheel or pressure plate. That sometimes happens when they are parked for an extended period of time. That can usually be resolved by holding the pedal down and work it loose with a screwdriver or such. They will sometimes work themselves loose by driving it with the pedal depressed.
Now the other problem, the pto has it’s own independent clutch and drives directly from the engine flywheel. I don’t know how it would engaged full time but I wanted you to know the 2 are separate problems.

elmrfudd

Postby elmrfudd » Sun Apr 09, 2023 11:06 am

Thanks Gary! I guess I have to address each issue separately, and yes, this tractor has sat idle for a few years. I’m sure this whole clutch issue put extra strain on the battery because when I cranked the engine to try starting it, EVERYTHING was turning from front to rear, including the deck blades. Do you think that getting the drive clutch freed could, in turn solve the PTO problem. With the tractor running, I didn’t see anything different going on whether I engaged the PTO or not. Thanks in advance for any further input! And HAPPY EASTER to everyone here!

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sun Apr 09, 2023 12:00 pm

elmrfudd wrote:Do you think that getting the drive clutch freed could, in turn solve the PTO problem.
No. Read Gary Dotson's post, directly above. The PTO uses a seperate drive shaft and the engine to transmission is another drive shaft.

Engine clutch problem. Also the 154 uses the same throw out bearing as the standard Cubs. It's a graphic type puck. It needs greased frequently and could be worn out.

To start the tractor with the engine and PTO clutch problems. Tractor out of gear and remove the mower deck belt.
I have an excuse. CRS.

elmrfudd

Postby elmrfudd » Sun Apr 09, 2023 3:09 pm

I took a 20 second video of the tractor running, and everything turning, but not sure if I can post a video attachment on here or not. I looked for a way to do that on this site, but couldn't find one.
And Gary, I do start the tractor in neutral all each time, otherwise the wheels start turning when I crank the engine. Naturally I can't shift gears with the transmission spinning. And I will try and take Gary's advice and see if I can drive it with the pedal depressed. Have to start it already in gear, though. Could be interesting!

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Sun Apr 09, 2023 3:13 pm

elmrfudd wrote:I will try and take Gary's advice and see if I can drive it with the pedal depressed.
With the cover between operators knees off, depress the clutch pedal and see if the throw out bearing depresses the pressure plate fingers and the pressure plate opens. Also check the condition of the throw out bearing, they wear out.
I have an excuse. CRS.

elmrfudd

Postby elmrfudd » Sun Apr 09, 2023 3:27 pm

Yes, Eugene, the throwout bearing does depress the pressure plate fingers when depressing the clutch pedal, maybe 1/8", tops. But the bearing and fingers are pretty much all that moves. Something is binding or stuck tight, and this is the first time I've seen this type of clutch, so I'm just trying to feel my way through it with the help of all you guys. I'm extremely grateful that y'all are taking the time to help me through this frustration!

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Sun Apr 09, 2023 7:01 pm

Internet putter crash. Apparently my last post didn't get posted.

Might try this. It worked has worked for me before. Loosen the 6 bolts holding the flywheel to the pressure plate. I used longer bolts to get more space to get a 3/8" or so gap. Tie the clutch pedel down. Wiggle/pry the pressure plate from the flywheel. Once sepearated, work on the clutch disk.
I have an excuse. CRS.

elmrfudd

Postby elmrfudd » Sun Apr 09, 2023 7:43 pm

Thanks, Eugene! I’ll give it a try in the next couple of days, as I have family home for the holiday now. I’ll check back in two or three days for a progress report. I’m trusting that if it worked for you, it’s likely to work for me! Thanks for the tip!

elmrfudd

Postby elmrfudd » Sun Apr 09, 2023 11:19 pm

Eugene wrote:Wiggle/pry the pressure plate from the flywheel. Once sepearated, work on the clutch disk.

When you said to work on the clutch disk, I’m not sure exactly what you meant. Does that mean there’s something I can do to the clutch disk to prevent the problem from happening again? Or does that mean it would need cleaned, repaired or replaced?

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Mon Apr 10, 2023 7:53 am

Eugene is saying that with a little extra space, it will be easier to get the disc pryed loose from whichever part it is stuck on. Eugene has a lot more experience, than I, on the number series tractors so he knows the parts layout better than I.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Mon Apr 10, 2023 9:31 am

elmrfudd wrote:
Eugene wrote:Wiggle/pry the pressure plate from the flywheel. Once sepearated, work on the clutch disk.
When you said to work on the clutch disk, I’m not sure exactly what you meant. Does that mean there’s something I can do to the clutch disk to prevent the problem from happening again? Or does that mean it would need cleaned, repaired or replaced?
Meaning to free up the clutch disk. Using the tractor frequently should keep the clutch disk from getting stuck.

You may have to move or remove the clutch puck brake mechanism.

The 154's engine clutch mechanism is easy to get to and pretty simple. My opinion, pretty floppy.

Check the various coupling parts for wear, bends, and farmer fixes. Check the throwout bearing face, should be flat or close to flat, and grease it.
I have an excuse. CRS.

elmrfudd

Postby elmrfudd » Mon Apr 10, 2023 3:06 pm

Thanks guys! I’ll keep you posted……

elmrfudd

Postby elmrfudd » Tue Apr 11, 2023 3:52 pm

Okay, I was finally able to shift the tractor into gear and drive it around the yard at will, in all gears, after using half a can of penetrant on every part of the clutch I could see to spray. And thanks to everyone for all the great tips! That’s a huge relief, but I still have the issue of the deck belt/blades running full time, with the PTO lever still in the DOWN/OFF position. I’m guessing there are probably no “easy fixes” for this issue, and that’s okay. Again, it’s probably caused from not being used for several years. Any pointers are greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Wed Apr 12, 2023 7:47 am

One down and one to go! I’m glad you were able to get the drive clutch freed, which process worked for? Others may need to know. I’ve only been in to 1 of these pto clutches so I’ll let others advise you on that. You’ll do well to look over that section in the repair manual.