This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

184 rebuild completed

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Landreo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 29130
Tractors Owned: fcub(5)
tricycle cub
154 (4)
Earthmaster (2)
JD 40T, JD 420 crawler-loader, JD MT
JD Unstyled A, Styled A, Unstyled AR
JD H
Centaur Tractor
AC Model C, G
Cub Cadets (9)
Gibson D
Red-E
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: 184 rebuild completed

Postby Landreo » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:11 pm

The first leaky seal I replaced was in the mid 1990s before Farmallcub.com. I had a steel seal from somewhere where which fit only finger tight in the retainer. So I used some high temp RTV to hold the seal in the retainer. Still leak free although that cub is no longer used much.

Gluing may actually be a good option. Body panels are glued in place both during auto construction and for auto body repair. For a seal glue I would want a glue that could bond to the seal and retainer, resist hot oil, and have some flexibility or ductility. Urethane glue may be a good choice. 2 part urethane is inexpensive and may hold the seal in place even with the expected metal creep and thermal expansion cycles.

Landreo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 29130
Tractors Owned: fcub(5)
tricycle cub
154 (4)
Earthmaster (2)
JD 40T, JD 420 crawler-loader, JD MT
JD Unstyled A, Styled A, Unstyled AR
JD H
Centaur Tractor
AC Model C, G
Cub Cadets (9)
Gibson D
Red-E
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: 184 rebuild completed

Postby Landreo » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:55 pm

Rick Prentice wrote:This question is for Landreo. I have some retainers that I gathered over the years and had left over from when I turned the fix over to Phil. I brought all of them in the house and let them warm up to room temp 71 degrees. Can you give any advice on what seal number to purchase and from what company. If seals can be found that will correctly press in, I'll order them and we can see how they hold up.
retainer 1 is an R2 with a bore of 3.888
retainer 2 is an R1 with a bore of 3.889
retainer 3 is an R1 with a bore of 3.887
retainer 4 is an R1 with a bore of 3.894
retainer 5 is an R1 with a bore of 3.884
retainer 6 is an R1 with a bore of 3.887
retainer 7 is an R1 with a bore of 3.880
retainer 8 is an R2 with a bore of 3.882
retainer 9 is an R2 with a bore of 3.881

Thanks, Rick

If the ID of the reworked bore is 4.00 inches the there is a rubber cased seal available that should fit.

For the diameters listed above, I am waiting for a FEDEX delivery and will do some basic data collection using the stuff from FEDEX and the one old seal retainer I have. It is around 3.900 or so. I think I have a good solution and inexpensive solution. I know coming from me this is heresy but it involves a steel cased seal! May not work but I think it will. If it does work you may want to test on your remaining retainers.