This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Hydraulic cylinder rebuild

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
seahaul
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28538
Tractors Owned: LoBoy 185 with Woods mower
LoBoy 184 with Woods mower and 3-pt
LoBoy 184 with RM59-LB mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Hydraulic cylinder rebuild

Postby seahaul » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:09 pm

I have a LoBoy 154 with 3-pt hitch that leaks down. Trying to rebuild the cylinder but cannot figure out how to remove the end cap in order to get to the o-rings inside. The end looks like just a seal without any holes to insert a tool to unscrew it. There is nothing on the outside that holds the cap in place.
Has anyone taken this cylinder apart and can tell me how to remove the end cap?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Re: Hydraulic cylinder rebuild

Postby Bob McCarty » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:38 pm

I haven't worked on one before, but here's a page from the parts manual: http://www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/Number ... e%2009.jpg
It looks like you might be able to just pull it apart (?).

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:47 pm

Is the cylinder leaking hydraulic fluid to the outside/external? If there is no external hydraulic fluid leak, the diverter valve is the probable source of the leak down.
I have an excuse. CRS.

seahaul
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby seahaul » Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:43 am

No fluid is leaking to the outside. Wasn't sure whether the problem was with the cylinder or diverter so I thought I'd fix both just to be sure. I'll do the diverter first and see if that fixes the problem.
Thanks for your help. The parts diagram helps greatly too.
Charlie

gitractorman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14072
eBay ID: toysforjake
Tractors Owned: Lots of Cub Cadets!
1951 Farmall Cub
1977 IH Cub
1966 IH Cub
1965 IH Lo Boy
1964 IH Lo Boy
1949 Farmall Cub
Several IH 154 Lo Boys
1979 IH 184 Lo Boy
Simplicity 4416 Sovereign
Simplicity Conquest
Simplicity Legacy 4x4 Diesel
Mitsubishi MT180D 4x4 Diesel

Postby gitractorman » Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:59 pm

What do you mean about the hydraulics leaking down? If you mean that the hitch eventually lowers to the ground when you've parked the tractor overnight, that's common. When they engine is shut down the hydraulics release and allow everything to drop. There's nothing you can do to fix it.

Now, if while the engine is running, the hitch gradually drops, then you have a leak in the system somewhere, and it would almost have to be a leak to the open, not internally, meaning you should have hydraulic fluid loss and laying somewhere. There isn't anywhere for the system to lose pressure without the system losing oil. Meaning, you would have to top off the hydraulic oil all the time. If this isn't the case, then I'd say you don't have a problem.
Cub Cadets 682, 1811, 1864, Simplicity Legacy XL 4x4 Diesel with FEL, 60" mower, 50" Tiller

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:11 pm

gitractorman wrote:If you mean that the hitch eventually lowers to the ground when you've parked the tractor overnight, that's common. When they engine is shut down the hydraulics release and allow everything to drop.
The hydraulic system on my 154 does not leak down when the engine is shut off.

I don't know how your hydraulic system in plumbed. My 154 has two diverter valves.

One other location of check for the hydraulic leak down is the control valve.

Edit: The service manual has diagrams of some of the different hydraulic systems installed on numbered Cub Low-Boys.
I have an excuse. CRS.

seahaul
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby seahaul » Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:17 am

My 3-pt will "leak down" while the engine is running, but there is no loss of fluid to the outside anywhere. I suppose there can be one (or more) causes: lift cylinder, control valve (mounted under the gas tank to lift up/down), or the selector valve (mounted on the tunnel cover,to choose use of 3-pt or belly mower lift).
This appears to be a pretty common problem as I have three LoBoys and they all do this. One of these does not have the selector valve (mounted on the tunnel cover) so I've ruled out that possibility, at least for that tractor.
Since I still have not found a way to take the lift cylinder apart, I will concentrate on rebuilding the control valve for now. Will let you know what works.
Charlie

seahaul
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby seahaul » Sat Aug 08, 2015 4:36 pm

I found the answer to my original question, "how to take the cylinder apart?" After disconnecting the hydraulic hose, you can look through the hole and see the end of the piston rod. It has a "stop pin" inserted through the rod that prevents the rod from being pushed all the way out of the cylinder. With a magnet, I was able to remove that stop pin and then the rod pulled right out.
There is a rubber o-ring (wiper?) on the piston rod that can be replaced. Hopefully this will stop the 3-pt from leaking down.
Charlie

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:56 pm

If your not seeing any oil leaking on the outside then there is a leak down within the system.

You have a selector or diverter valve that selects the rear 3pt hitch or the center lift for the mower. The selector valve could be leaking down. It takes 9/16” square o rings. My int154 #1 has the same problem.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

tmays
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39154
Tractors Owned: 1969 Farmall Cub
1952 Cub
1942 Farmall H

Postby tmays » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:18 pm

I have the same problem, but no 3 point. Just a belly mower. Leaks down rather quickly while running. Curious to know what the problem was when you find it
Thomas

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:49 pm

BigBill wrote:If your not seeing any oil leaking on the outside then there is a leak down within the system.

You have a selector or diverter valve that selects the rear 3pt hitch or the center lift for the mower. The selector valve could be leaking down. It takes 9/16” square o rings.
Selector valve if your tractor has no diverter valve.
I have an excuse. CRS.

jlogan
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 37122

Postby jlogan » Wed May 22, 2019 12:38 pm

Did anyone figure out the problem? I’m having the same problem and don’t know where to start. I don’t have a valve to select between the mower deck and 3 point. I’m not losing any fluid but the system isn’t holding pressure and the deck and 3 point drop down pretty quickly.

Ronnie
Zip Code: 21117

Postby Ronnie » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:19 am

I messed with my cylinders which are also drifting down for hours and after hours of research I finally found how to take them apart. The end “cap” does NOT come off. To get the cylinder rod out you have to look into the bottom valve where you would attach the hose. Rotate the rod within the cylinder until you see a metal pin. Line up this pin and the valve hole and the pin will literally fall out of the cylinder allowing you to completely remove the rod. To put the pin back in just line up the holes again and drop it in! It’s that easy. Good luck

seahaul
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby seahaul » Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:56 am

response to jlogan:
My problem turned out to be the selector valve. It needed new o-rings installed.
Charlie

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”