This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Safety: True or False

Have a safety tip you want to share? Did you or a friend learn it the hard way? Help someone else by posting your tips on tractor, farm, shop, lawn, garden, kitchen, etc., safety.
Forum rules
Safety is an important and often overlooked topic. Make safety a part of your everyday life and let others know how much you care by making their lives safer too. Let the next generation of tractor enthusiasts benefit from your experience, and maybe save a life or appendages.
PA Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15017

Safety: True or False

Postby PA Cub » Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:52 pm

Hello,
I took the “Cub Circle of Safety Badge” “Tractor Safety Quiz.” The quiz will not let me pass because it marks my answer for question number 17 as incorrect. Question 17 states:

17. United States Federal law requires tractors over 5,400 pounds to be secured at all four corners when hauling.
True
False

My answer to this question is “false.” My answer is based on Code of Federal Regulations CFR 49 393.128 and CFR 49 393.130.

Can anyone tell me what United States Federal law makes the answer to question 17 “true?”

Dennis
Site Admin
Zip Code: 64075
Tractors Owned: 1947 Farmall Cub
104 Cub Cadet
Cub Cadet Original
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Safety: True or False

Postby Dennis » Sat Nov 12, 2016 11:33 pm

The test was written several years ago and information was researched from several sources. That particular question may have been accurate at the time, but I'm not sure.

The code you reference is:

393.126 - Intermodal Containers
The requirements for intermodal containers cover the transportation of these containers on container chassis and other types of vehicles. Intermodal containers are freight containers designed and constructed to permit them to be used interchangeably in two or more modes of transportation. Cargo contained within intermodal containers must be secured in accordance with the general cargo securement rules or, if applicable, the commodity-specific rules.

393.128 - Automobiles, Light Trucks and Vans
This portion of the new standards applies to the transportation of automobiles, light trucks, and vans which individually weight 4,536 kg (10,000 lbs) or less. Vehicles which individually are heavier than 4,536 kg (10,000 lbs) must be secured in the same manner as heavy vehicles, equipment and machinery (see the rules under /393.126).

393.130 - Heavy Vehicles, Equipment and Machinery
These requirements are applicable to the transportation of heavy vehicles, equipment and machinery which operate on wheels or tracks, such as front end loaders, bulldozers, tractors and power shovels and which individually weigh 4,536 kg (10,000 lbs) or more. Vehicles, equipment and machinery which is lighter than 4,536 kg (10,000 lbs) may be secured in accordance with these rules, the rules for automobiles, light trucks and vans, or the general freight requirements.

Honestly, I would think a person would want to secure a 5,000+ pound tractor at all four corners (and more) if they were hauling it on the highway. But that is just me thinking about meeting that driver on the roadway ;)

Should I delete or rewrite the question?
Image Proud Member
Are you a member? Copy this code below and paste it in your signature to display it proudly!

Code: Select all

[url=http://nationalihcollectors.com/index.html][img]http://farmallcub.com/images/ihcc.jpg[/img][/url]

Circle of Safety Passed the "Circle of Safety" test? Add your signature badge using

[cos][/cos]
What is the Circle of Safety

PA Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15017

Postby PA Cub » Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:54 am

Thank you for your response.
Maybe just refer to the government standards mentioned above:

https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2015-title49-vol5/pdf/CFR-2015-title49-vol5-sec393-130.pdf

I learned a lot reading them while looking for the answer to the question. I thought the question was simply a typo where lbs. had been mistaken for kg. I also learned valuable new information from the "Securing the Load" brochure at the website link below. I would suggest it to anyone transporting heavy objects.

https://www.extension.purdue.edu/extmedia/PPP/PPP-75.pdf

Mike in Louisiana
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 71023

Postby Mike in Louisiana » Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:33 am

[quote="PA Cub"]

I learned a lot reading them while looking for the answer to the question.

That is what makes this test so good. Makes you stop and think.
1975 cub (LouAnn) serial # 245946, 1941 John Deere Model H

Good judgment comes from experience,
and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. Will Rogers

Dennis
Site Admin
104 Cub Cadet
Cub Cadet Original

Postby Dennis » Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:06 pm

OK, did a little more digging and found expanded information on the tie downs:

§393.128 What are the rules for securing automobiles, light trucks and vans?

(a) Applicability. The rules in this section apply to the transportation of automobiles, light trucks, and vans which individually weigh 4,536 kg. (10,000 lb) or less. Vehicles which individually are heavier than 4,536 kg (10,000 lb) must be secured in accordance with the provisions of §393.130 of this part.

(b) Securement of automobiles, light trucks, and vans. (1) Automobiles, light trucks, and vans must be restrained at both the front and rear to prevent lateral, forward, rearward, and vertical movement using a minimum of two tiedowns.
(2) Tiedowns that are designed to be affixed to the structure of the automobile, light truck, or van must use the mounting points on those vehicles that have been specifically designed for that purpose.
(3) Tiedowns that are designed to fit over or around the wheels of an automobile, light truck, or van must provide restraint in the lateral, longitudinal and vertical directions.
(4) Edge protectors are not required for synthetic webbing at points where the webbing comes in contact with the tires.
return arrow Back to Top

§393.130 What are the rules for securing heavy vehicles, equipment and machinery?

(a) Applicability. The rules in this section apply to the transportation of heavy vehicles, equipment and machinery which operate on wheels or tracks, such as front end loaders, bulldozers, tractors, and power shovels and which individually weigh 4,536 kg (10,000 lb.) or more. Vehicles, equipment and machinery which is lighter than 4,536 kg (10,000 lb.) may also be secured in accordance with the provisions of this section, with §393.128, or in accordance with the provisions of §§393.100 through 393.114.
(b) Preparation of equipment being transported. (1) Accessory equipment, such as hydraulic shovels, must be completely lowered and secured to the vehicle.
(2) Articulated vehicles shall be restrained in a manner that prevents articulation while in transit.
(c) Securement of heavy vehicles, equipment or machinery with crawler tracks or wheels. (1) In addition to the requirements of paragraph (b) of this section, heavy equipment or machinery with crawler tracks or wheels must be restrained against movement in the lateral, forward, rearward, and vertical direction using a minimum of four tiedowns.
(2) Each of the tiedowns must be affixed as close as practicable to the front and rear of the vehicle, or mounting points on the vehicle that have been specifically designed for that purpose.

If I'm reading this correctly, over 10,000 lbs requires a minimum of 4 tie downs and less than 10,000 lbs a minimum of 2 tie downs, provided they prevent forward/backward and lateral movement.

Does that sound like a correct statement (based on the current DOT laws listed above)?
Image Proud Member
Are you a member? Copy this code below and paste it in your signature to display it proudly!

[url=http://nationalihcollectors.com/index.html][img]http://farmallcub.com/images/ihcc.jpg[/img][/url]

Circle of Safety Passed the "Circle of Safety" test? Add your signature badge using

[cos][/cos]

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:35 pm

I believe your interpretation is correct. Tractors generally fall into the category with heavy machinery which require a minimum of 4 tie downs. But there is an exception for tractors under 10,000# that can be tied down as is allowed for automobiles with 2 tie downs. Tractors under 10,000 can also be secured as general freight, which requires a minimum of one tie down per 5 feet. One per 5 still requires 2 tie downs for a Cub.

For what it is worth, I normally use 2 tie downs. I often add another as called out in 393.130 (b) (1) depending on what attached implement I may have.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Jim Becker » Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:51 pm

Previous discussion:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=88303

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:08 pm

Maybe that question should be removed just so it does not create future confusion.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Jim Becker » Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:13 pm

Looks to me just changing the weight in the question to 10,000 fixes it.

Dennis
Site Admin
104 Cub Cadet
Cub Cadet Original

Postby Dennis » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:31 am

Jim Becker wrote:Looks to me just changing the weight in the question to 10,000 fixes it.

I can agree with that. I'll rephrase the question. It's too important to leave off the test.
Image Proud Member

[cos][/cos]

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:48 am

Dennis wrote: It's too important to leave off the test.

Never thought of it that way. Sounds like a good plan.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Bbhzx12
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 03865
Tractors Owned: '59 Cub

Postby Bbhzx12 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:22 am

Just a thought, why have a question pertaining to equipment 10k and up be on the test? The Cub even with implements isn't even close. If this is a Cub safety quiz it should pertain to the Cub, I would think. I suggest correcting the question/answer to reflect actual requirements more closely related to the Cub.
If it don't go, chrome it.

Dennis
Site Admin
104 Cub Cadet
Cub Cadet Original

Postby Dennis » Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:29 am

Sorry, but the quiz is not Cub specific. All tractors and their operators are capable of injuring or worse.

The hauling question is important (for any equipment) and can be extremely dangerous to all drivers regardless of the cargo.
The question has already been updated and is now:

United States Federal DOT law requires tractors over 10,000 lbs. be held with a minimum of 4 tie downs and less than 10,000 lbs a minimum of 2 tie downs, provided they prevent forward/backward and lateral movement.
True or False.

Thanks for the feedback,
Dennis
Image Proud Member

[cos][/cos]

Winfield Dave
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 17953
Tractors Owned: ......Almost enough.
N3NIK

Postby Winfield Dave » Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:49 am

...and less than 10,000 lbs a minimum of 2 tie downs, provided they prevent forward/backward and lateral movement
It appears that to prevent the movement outlined they could require 4 tie downs anyway. (BTW - I always use at least 4.)
Dave
"More gold has been mined from the thoughts of men than has been taken from the earth." -- Napoleon Hill

Dennis
Site Admin
104 Cub Cadet
Cub Cadet Original

Postby Dennis » Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:05 pm

Winfield Dave wrote:It appears that to prevent the movement outlined they could require 4 tie downs anyway. (BTW - I always use at least 4.)

I think that makes the most sense to me, even if the DOT doesn't require it.
Image Proud Member

[cos][/cos]