This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Small Chainsaws

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Small Chainsaws

Postby Eugene » Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:35 pm

Picked up two small chain saws for trimming trees. These are replacements.

1) Remington RM1035P 10 In. Electric Pole Saw. 120V, Extendable to 15 feet. Works well, no complaints. Only problem is that it's a heavy (leverage) when extended out to 15 feet. Nice thing is that it is easy to brake down into a hand held chainsaw.

2) Dewalt DCCS620B 20V MAX XR. 12" bar. Replacement for an ancient Stihl, parts no longer available. Light weight, easy to handle, pretty easy on batteries. Quite a bit slower than a gas powered chainsaw especially when bucking logs 6" in diameter or more. I really like this saw.

Wife and I are currently trimming up black walnut trees and branches overhanging the mowing areas along the fence line, pasture and the drive way.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Re: Small Chainsaws

Postby Don McCombs » Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:37 pm

I got one of the Dewalt saws about a month ago. I like it, too. So does my wife. Doesn't replace a real chainsaw for the bigger jobs, though.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:32 pm

I just started collecting older 80’s chainsaws I once logged with. I have Swedish Husqvarna’s of all sizes from 40 cc to 100cc. The 100cc 2100 is one I used for decades. I have 28” , 32”, 36”, & 42” bars forbthe 2100. I have a Poulan pro pole saw gas powered. It’s a discontinued husky model. I also collect the Swedish partner chainsaws too. I mainly collect Swedish saws but I have some mccullochs and one italian bender Castor chainsaw, in the past I cut some big trees some gave me seven cords of firewood? I once cleaned up storm damage near where Thomas Jefferson had his horse shoes. Monster 100 yo + maple tree in the 80’s after Gloria took it down.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:23 pm

I have the 20” bar /chain, 24” bar / chain, 28” bar / chain, 32” bar / chain 36” bar and chain and the 42” bar and chain. All the bars use .404” / .063” gage chain on the 100 cc 2100 husky power head. I’m a spaghetti bender but I love my Swedish chainsaws. They supported my family for many decades throughout the recessions. I need a saw mill attachment next I have a giant ash tree to take down soon for a new kitchen set.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:30 pm

I have a small Stihl chainsaw, but hardly ever use it. I have found that my Dewalt battery powered reciprocal saw is much lighter and easier to handle, and with the good quality pruning blades will cut almost as fast as a small chainsaw. In addition, the batteries last a long time.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:14 pm

I just lost 128# I’m 275# now I don’t run saws anymore my sons run them.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:31 pm

My first Husqvarna 2100 ported 100 cc saw is about to leave the assembly bench to be started up for the first time. She’s a beast stock. With power to spare. With porting she shows no mercy to the trees.

Sharpening the saw chain is an art. Make sure you do the gullet for chip clearance first before you do the upper edge.

Papa's Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 31553
Tractors Owned: 1966 Int'l Cub, C-2 mower 2005 Farm-Trac, 7ft Harrows and Box blade 1976 Int'l Cub, Woods 59 mower, Turn Plow, Full set of cultivators, Harrows, 174 Planter & Fertilizer unit 1953 Farmall Cub,full set of spring cultivators, wheel weights,
PTO belt pulley, snow plow and misc parts.

Postby Papa's Cub » Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:06 pm

A big Thank You for all of the responses. After a little research and looking at several options I chose to purchase a Kobalt 40 Volt pole saw w/ a 30" extension and a 5 year limited warranty. I was looking at pole saws in Lowe's and commented to another customer that I liked the weight and feel of the saw ,but, was concerned about the downtime I'd sacrifice having to constantly recharge the battery. He said he purchased the same saw a couple of years back and advised me that at our age that would not become an issue, stating if I had the stamina to use the saw continuously to use up the battery that I would welcome the break. So far, I agree with his assessment as I've only used three of the four bars of the battery life indicator one time of several sessions of tree liming. Wish I'd have made this purchase long ago.
If you always do what you've always done -- you'll always get what you've always got!

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:18 pm

Tru value had the Stihl 170 chainsaw for $159. If not now check around the holidays.

Lt.Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 07727
Tractors Owned: 1 -'58 International Cub Lo-Boy
2 - '46 International A's
2 - '52 Farmall Cubs
1 - '53 Farmall Super A
1 - ‘41 Ford 9N with a ‘49 8N Engine
1 - ‘48 (5641) Allis Chalmers G

Postby Lt.Mike » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:47 am

I have a very big Stihl MS310 saw and the smaller Stihl 170. The big saw is very heavy but powerful blowing through the big stuff but the 170 is my go to for everything else. Much lighter and doesn’t kill my back. I’ve had the 310 for 15 years now and it’s an impressive very durable saw.
I once had a scanner antenna on the roof of my house off the chimney. It had 3 horizontal rods which would get bent down by the damned squirrels that would jump to it from a nearby branch. I borrowed a polesaw from my neighbor to remove that branch. Standing on a step ladder leaning on the chimney (yes I know, not good) reaching up and out, I tried cutting that branch and got the saw stuck when the branch pinched the bar. :roll: I got it loose but not without a lot of cussing.
So trim careful with that polesaw and be aware of the pinch possibility. If it pinches way up out of your reach it’s a royal PITA!
Quote by Gary Pickeral I like
"If it can cast a shadow, it can be restored"