This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Comet July 2020

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
lyle11
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 44236
Tractors Owned: 48 FCub
55 Lowboy
60 Lowboy
Allis Chalmers B

Comet July 2020

Postby lyle11 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:16 pm

There is a comet called Neowise visible in the northern sky for a few more days. It’s probably not visible in a city or suburb. I saw it last week in rural Wisconsin when it first became visible. I could not see a defined head and tail at that time. It appeared like a streak in the sky. It peaked in brightness on 7/22.

About 1-2 hours after it gets dark, look to the NNW and follow from the horizon up toward the Big Dipper. Skies probably have to be very clear to see it. I have been back in NE Ohio since Sunday but it’s been cloudy or too hazy to see anything here.

lyle11
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 44236
Tractors Owned: 48 FCub
55 Lowboy
60 Lowboy
Allis Chalmers B

Re: Comet July 2020

Postby lyle11 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:05 am

It was clear last night in NE Ohio and I looked for the comet 3 separate times as the sky got darker but I saw nothing. Stars at my rural place in Wisconsin are much more visible than here and the comet wasn’t real bright there, even with no moon. But I saw it there when it first became visible and was a week from its peak brightness. If I was willing to drive an hour away from city lights I bet I would have saw it, but I wasn’t willing to do that.

I did get startled by a skunk 2 feet from me which ambled away slowly. They must only spray if agitated or threatened but it sure made me move fast. My neighbor has cats and I thought it was a cat for about 2 seconds before I realized it was a skunk.

Return to “Off Topic”