This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Glass Battery Box

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y

Glass Battery Box

Postby Bob McCarty » Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:54 pm

I have a "Delco-Light Exide" KXG-7 glass battery box. I don't have a lid but am curious as to how the lid attached to the bottom. Some pictures seem to show a gasket/sealant, but no clips or other fasteners. I think these were used in the 1940's.
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Re: Glass Battery Box

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:12 pm

I think the lids may have had some kind of acid proof gasket, but not sure. they were not intended to be jostled around once in service. You might try this sight if you have not already found it. Lids may have just been a tight fit, I have never seen one complete, they were mainly used in the 1920s, A LITLE BEFORE MY TIME, THOUGH NOT A WHOLE LOT BEFORE. DAng csps lock!!!
http://delcolight.com/13.html
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Postby outdoors4evr » Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:07 am

Love the idea of being able to see the water line!
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

Lt.Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 07727
Tractors Owned: 1 -'58 International Cub Lo-Boy
2 - '46 International A's
2 - '52 Farmall Cubs
1 - '53 Farmall Super A
1 - ‘41 Ford 9N with a ‘49 8N Engine
1 - ‘48 (5641) Allis Chalmers G

Postby Lt.Mike » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:34 am

We’ve had one of those for years. Use it as a magazine rack in the family room.
Quote by Gary Pickeral I like
"If it can cast a shadow, it can be restored"

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:42 pm

outdoors4evr wrote:Love the idea of being able to see the water line!
Having spent 20+ years as a switching technician for the local phone company I do not think being able to see the acid level in a battery is that thrilling to me.

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Gary Dotson » Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:47 am

A friend, in northern Ohio, has a few of those, he uses them in conjunction with his Delco light plants for demonstration at his local show. I don't have contact info for him, though, or I'd pose your question to him.
John, watching the acid in your battery would be akin to watching paint dry, I assume.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:20 pm

Gary Dotson wrote:John, watching the acid in your battery would be akin to watching paint dry, I assume.
You pretty much have an accurate description. We had routines (PMPs) that had to be done, some weekly, some monthly, some yearly. However, if you walked by and saw a puddle under one of those batteries it really got your attention. One of our yearly routines was to disconnect each battery and clean the terminals, apply fresh terminal grease to them and reconnect. on the old steppers (relay type) offices that was nt a problem, the office would run on the rectifiers only, but the newer digital offices needed the additional filtering the batteries provided, and with out it they would crash. One of our less than bright engineers came up with the idea the office could run with one of the 24 batteries out of the string, which was correct, but his idea was to put a jumper from the battery before we were working on to the one after, then disconnect that battery, clean it and the hardware and reconnect it and do the next one. In the main office we were talking about 24 batteries each one rated at 2.2 volts and 1200 amps. I asked him if he realized that when he put that jumper from the batteries on each side of the one to be serviced he realized he was putting a dead short across that 1200 amp battery. He sat down and drew the diagram then his face turned white when he realized what he had recommended. They solved the problem by contracting a battery company to come in with a truck mounted battery string to connect and doing the job all in one night and putting it all back to normal.