This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

FIREFIGHTERS FOE: TOXIC GEAR

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120
Circle of Safety: Y

FIREFIGHTERS FOE: TOXIC GEAR

Postby ricky racer » Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:56 pm

This is way off of topic from anything that you normally see on this site but I thought it was interesting. This is from an email that Jerry Wigutow of Wiggy's (https://www.wiggys.com/) sent out this week. I'm sure we have more than a few Firefighters as members here and felt that this was good information to review. The fact that he also mentions fire retardant materials used by tent manufacturers and in previous articles he's mentioned that most manufacturers of sleeping bags also use fire retardant materials, it does tend to possibly involve others here that may read this. Our local TV News reported just today that our local Firefighters are experiencing a higher rate of cancer the the general population so I thought I would post this. I hope it can be a help to others.

"The above title for this article is the headline of an article that appeared in the N.Y Times and picked up by the Baltimore Sun in their January 31 edition.

The fire fighter gear today and for the past 30 years has been made from fabrics that are flame retardant treated. We know that the flame retardant chemicals give off fumes and these fumes are cancer causing.

The nature of the article gives in depth information about how the fire fighters are exposed to these fumes and that they have a higher rate of cancer than the rest of the population. The numbers quoted in the article are as follows; 9 % higher risk of getting cancer and a 14% higher risk of dying from the disease than the general U.S. population. Firefighters are most at risk for testicular cancer [the spokesman for the Nantucket fire department with whom I spoke told me he has a friend 38 years of age and a fire fighter with testicular cancer];. They list other cancers and the rates have not declined.

I have written in the past about REI in conjunction with Duke University doing a study of flame retardant chemicals applied to fabrics used to make tents. The study explains that one should wear gloves when setting up their tent because the fire retardant chemical will get on you hands. Of course, once inside the tent you are subject to breathing the fumes. I believe all of this information is published on the REI web site. You go camping to get away from the city and expose yourself to cancer causing agents in your camping equipment. REI has not taken these tents out of their stores since the study was done, and that was 8 years ago I believe. I think it is really unthinkable that a company with all of the information as rei has on the danger of selling tents with fire retardant treatments as rei is doing. I think it is reprehensible that a retailer sell products that are harmful to their customers. Keep in mind that ALL of the stores, small independent retailers as well as the giants like ****’s, Moosejaw, Bass Pro, Cabela's, and so many others also sell the same tents as rei that are flame retardant treated. These guys make it good for the motel trade.

I have also written about the fact that I make all of my products from fabrics that have a pure finish. After the fabrics are dyed no chemicals such as water repellents and certainly not fire retardants are applied to them. The number of people who have called asking about chemicals is very significant because they are chemically sensitive. Also, they do not want to subject their children to chemicals. Most of the callers are women.

We are not born with chemical sensitivity we develop it because we are exposed to so many chemicals. As an example, in the article, they reference a chemical acronym PFAS with no explanation. It stands for PER-and POLYFLUORALKYL substances are a group of man made chemicals that includes PFOA, PFSA, GENX and many other chemicals. These chemicals have been manufactured and used in a variety of products around the world including the US since the 1940’s.PFOA and PFOS have been the most extensively produced and studied of these chemicals. Both chemicals are very persistent in the environment and in the human body-meaning they don’t breakdown and they can accumulate over time. There is evidence that exposure to PFAS can lead to adverse human health effects. [Why don’t they say cancer because it doesn’t lead to broken limbs or high blood pressure?]; This information comes from the EPA web site.

A professor Graham Peaselee, of The University of Notre Dame is head of a research project of these chemicals and found significant quantities of similar chemicals in fire fighters’ protective clothing, applied to keep the cloths water resistant. [it is a mistake to keep the clothing water resistant because fabric that is wet will take a lot more heat to cause it to burn, so you want the fabric to absorb the water.]; When I spoke with him, he told me his staff doing the testing of the fabrics started to wear gloves and when the gloves were tested, they found the chemicals on the gloves as did the researchers at Duke University who tested the tents.

Professor Peaselee also noted that, and I quote, “firefighters aren’t told about this [the dangers of the chemicals in their clothing];. So, they’re wearing it, they’re lounging in it when they’re between calls. That’s chronic exposure, and that’s not good.”

Having spoken with Professor Peaselee I found him to have significant and I mean significant knowledge of the subject and could write his own in depth article on the subject. One thing he told me was a company supplying these fireman’s clothing has actually found a fire retardant fabric that does not utilize the chemicals and offers it as an alternative to the items sold today with the chemicals. But they will not phase out the chemically treated garments.

There is much more to the article as NY Times article are, so I am stopping here. the emphasis is that firefighters may very well die from the clothing they wear, it obviously takes time but it happens.

If you are a fire fighter you may want to review what we make for the oil industry workers in Alaska, no chemicals. Look at the video I made demonstrating that the fabrics I use are not combustible."
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

Steve Butram
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 47906
eBay ID: steveb05
Tractors Owned: 1947 in well used condition
1948 restored
Nice original 1950 just out of the Demo Range
628 2 wheel Trailer
1950 Demo
Tryke
Rat Cub

Re: FIREFIGHTERS FOE: TOXIC GEAR

Postby Steve Butram » Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:48 am

Interesting Article. The Fire Service has been hyper vigilant about the Carcinogens in the smoke that we are exposed to on a daily basis. We require that the Fire Gear be washed after every fire.

We have never have discussed the possibilities of the Fire Retardant applied to the gear being a contributor to work place exposures.
Be prepared to be unprepared Seth Goden

Jeff Silvey
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 46055
Tractors Owned: -
1950 Demo,1956 w/ FH, 1959 w 59" mower,
Cub L-54 Blade,152 Plow
189 plow, LF 194 Plow, Woods 42" Mower,
Choremaster Garden tractors & Implements
Antique Gas engines

Postby Jeff Silvey » Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:15 am

Steve Butram wrote:Interesting Article. The Fire Service has been hyper vigilant about the Carcinogens in the smoke that we are exposed to on a daily basis. We require that the Fire Gear be washed after every fire.

We have never have discussed the possibilities of the Fire Retardant applied to the gear being a contributor to work place exposures.

I agree with Steve. There are I think 10+ cancers that are high with firefighter.

Cancers associated with PFAS include:

Kidney (renal) cancer
Testicular cancer
Pancreatic cancer
Bladder cancer
Leukemia
Lymphoma
Neuroendocrine tumors
Prostate cancer
Liver cancer
Breast cancer
Colorectal cancer (colon and/or rectal cancer)
The highly durable nature of PFAS means they do not break down over time. Because of this, it may remain in the body for years.
Last edited by Jeff Silvey on Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
In my line of work
" EVERYBODY GOES HOME THE NEXT MORNING"

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:29 am

Fire fighting is inherently a pretty dangerous thing to be doing. The challenge is to balance the hazards to minimize the total risk. That balancing act is distorted when there are hidden risks that one is unknowingly leaving out of the balance.

Here is another closely related example:
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/chemical-b ... n-couches/

Bill V in Md
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21228
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
LT1045 Cub Cadet

Postby Bill V in Md » Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:49 am

Very interesting information, Ricky. It looks like the original Duke study and a subsequent research paper by a Duke g raduate student is having an impact. They have prompted Mountain Hardwear to now provide tents that are free of flame retardants. The results, the company says, even make way for stronger and longer-lasting tents. In September, REI also announced plans to transition away from flame-retardant finishes starting in fall 2020.

On a semi-related subject there is an excellent movie called "Dark Waters" that is based on the decades long battle to force Dupont to remove PFOA (also known as C-8) from production of Teflon. The Dupont plant was in Parkersburg, WV.
Bill VanHooser
Cub 54 Blade, Cub 193 Moldboard Plow, Cub 28A Disc Harrow
Circle of Safety

SamsFarm
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 44410
Tractors Owned: 1968 Cub Fast Hitch
LF-1 Platform Carrier
144 Cultivators
L-F194 Plow(s)
F38 Disk
L-F3 Spring Tooth Harrow
CS Bell No. 60 Grain Mill on a unmodified Fast Hitch Disk hitch prong
Home Made Fast Hitch Potato Plow
54A Blade

Couple 1948 Cubs
172 Runner Planter
53 Fertilizer
Cub-3 Field Cultivator
Cub-189 Two Way Plow
Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower
Mechanical Transplanter with side mount barrel (needs a fast hitch adapter) :)

Misc Belly Mowers

Wish List
International 100 Fast Hitch Blade
Mott Fast Hitch Flail Mower

Wish Wish Wish List
Fast Hitch Rotary Hoe
4E hammer mill

Postby SamsFarm » Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:36 pm

Well, I am not a fire fighter (but I have peed on a few fires)!

I firmly believe that the government (gubbermitt) needs to get out of the business of "mandating" what they "think" is best for everyone! :mad:

Our bodies was never made to ingest or absorb all these chemicals that are "supposed to protect us"!

Lets face it they (grubbermitt) have no right saying whether your clothes have chemical fire retardants in them!

And what about mattresses, furniture, children's sleep ware just to name a few!!!

Dont forget about all the chemicals in your food! Read the labels!

I am a cancer survivor, had it before my 19th birthday!
Lost a brother to leukemia when I was 7, He was just 16!
1968 Cub Fast-Hitch

Return to “Off Topic”