This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Farming then and now

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
v w
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49053
Circle of Safety: Y

Farming then and now

Postby v w » Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:52 pm

SamsFarm wrote:
v w wrote:
I have cut hay at 8 am and baled it at 4 pm. Vern

Care to tell more about that!

Was you making haylage?

No. Baled hay. This is getting too far off the subject. Follow me over to Off Topic. Farming then and now.
Vern

I will get back into the mower/conditioner. This was made by Brillion circa 1953 and was built on an international semi-mounted mower. The mower was a triangle shaped frame with a single castor wheel in the rear. this was a nice mower and made square turning corners easy. Just as the tractor, dad had an it mounted on an H, reached the end of the field the tractor could be turned to the right, the brake applied and the bar would move rearward and out leaving a couple feet of uncut hay which was then cut as the tractor moved after the turn. Brillion removed the wheel, placed a pickup and conditioner rolls under and rearward and added two castor wheels. The conditioner rollers were smooth steel about 8 to 10 inches in diameter and seven feet long and as I recall were kept under pressure by large springs. The rear wheels were about as far from the rear axle of the tractor as the front wheels were forward and the whole thing was quite heavy. This made turning very interesting, most mowing being done in third gear. After my first turn I was almost turned completely around. Experience soon overcame that problem. This setup would crush the entire stem. Drying time was quite reduced. I've never seen another conditioner like it. The drawbacks were the weight and the tendency to plug the steel rolls.

The day I was able to cut and bale would have been about 1956. That was quite a while ago and I can only remember having done it. The exact hours of cut to bale are guesses. The hay would have been second or third cutting alfalfa. The one thing I can remember was dads reaction when he saw what I had done. I was on the home farm and he spent the day on the other farm. A neighbor helped me bale. Dad could not believe it would have been dry enough to bale and quite frankly if anyone told me it could be done I would say wow and think yeah, right! He then said lets put the wagons in the shed for now. They were left there for several days. I think he was worried about burning the barn down. After sticking his arm in each day he decided we might as well put it in the barn. It was beautiful hay.

Today what were farms are now one field or a subdivision. We live on 14.7 acres of what was the home farm. This is the largest piece. Everything is housing and zoned residential. There is 8 acres which the farmer on another street uses as it touches him. I have seen pictures of my first "job" making hay. I rode the horse which was pulling the fork to lift loose hay into the mow. This kept me out of the way and the horse was quite capable of doing it without me. I was too young to remember but have seen pictures. For those too young to know loose hay was lifted off the wagon by a fork suspended from the top of the barn and then moved sideways on a trolley into the mow where the operator pulled a rope releasing the hay. The horse would then return as the operator pulled the trolley by the trip rope back for another load. The first I can actually remember was when I was about 9. My uncle had a Case baler that used wire to tie the bale. Two men rode the baler inserting a divider between each bale as it passed thru. The first bale was tied and the wires for the next bale were sent thru. The divider was then removed and when the next bale was ready the process was repeated. Hot and very dirty work. The bales were dropped and I drove the H while dad loaded the bales. Uncle went to chopped hay and dad bought the baler and converted it to twine. Mowers today are different and now I don't fully understand. The neighbors mower is small by todays standards cutting only about 16 feet. He has both the larger round baler or the large square baler. He does not have animals and sells the hay. Several times he sold the first cutting to a local milk producer who cut my postage size field while cutting that of the neighbor. The large zero turn mower cut the 8 acres in 27 minutes. A large rake arrived the next day and unfolded to rake large swaths. Then came a 50 foot gather and rolled from two sides into one. Then a chopper which I'm told was 675 hp, two semi trucks and one straight truck and in a short time nothing but stubble. I believe the hay was for immediate feed. When making fully dry hay the windrows are so large they take longer to dry and farmers 65 years ago took less time.

Feel free to add your own old timer tales and not just hay either. I don't care where this post goes. If you are still here you probably need a hobby. Questions also. :D Vern

staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1 is for parts), (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (2)154 Number Series Loboys, (1 is for parts), '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '47 & '49 Avery V, '53 MM BG (offset), '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76? Yanmar 2TR15 1500 & Bush Hog SQ42S-2 mower, '78? FORD Dexta, '86 FORD LGT14D & 48" Mower, (2)Cub Cadets & Mowers (MTD), (4) Sears Surburban's, other MTD mowers, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"

Re: Farming then and now

Postby staninlowerAL » Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:32 am

Enjoyed your story, I have memories from about 70 years ago of wind rowing cut hay with a converted, horse drawn "dump" rake, then pulling a baler along side and tossing the hay into the baler with a hay pitch fork. The hay bales were hand tied with wire. The hay was cut with a converted horse drawn sickle mower that was ground driven. I'll soon be 78.
Stan in LA (lower AL)
USAF & Reserves, Reg ARMY, ARMY NG (AL)

SamsFarm
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 44410
Tractors Owned: 1968 Cub Fast Hitch
LF-1 Platform Carrier
144 Cultivators
L-F194 Plow(s)
F38 Disk
L-F3 Spring Tooth Harrow
CS Bell No. 60 Grain Mill on a unmodified Fast Hitch Disk hitch prong
Home Made Fast Hitch Potato Plow
54A Blade

Couple 1948 Cubs
172 Runner Planter
53 Fertilizer
Cub-3 Field Cultivator
Cub-189 Two Way Plow
Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower
Mechanical Transplanter with side mount barrel (needs a fast hitch adapter) :)

Misc Belly Mowers

Wish List
International 100 Fast Hitch Blade
Mott Fast Hitch Flail Mower

Wish Wish Wish List
Fast Hitch Rotary Hoe
4E hammer mill

Postby SamsFarm » Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:04 pm

Having never grown up on a farm, I dont have any memories of baling hay as a youth.

I did grow up with a field behind our house that the local dairy farmer leased.

When ever I would hear the tractors I would run to watch and maybe, if I was really lucky that day, get a ride.

One year it was hay time, and I managed to be able to get a ride on the hay wagon while they baled.

Baler was a 336 with a pan thrower and flat deck wagons with backs.
Two kids working the wagon with me sitting on the edge.

Two times that day they was turning and I took a bale to the back and got blasted off the wagon, each time eager to say "Yea, I am alright!" and climb back on!

And my Sisters husbands family baled hay, wile my brothers would go and help, I was too young.
If by chance I went, I would just ride along, wander the field, etc.....

By the time I was old enough, they went to round bales, and that was that!

A lot of time went by, and around 2005 a friend bought a place with maybe 8 acres of field and neighbors with the same. He was mowing his with a tc30 and a finish mower.

I had a couple cubs then. A cub-22 sickle mower, and a 12 foot hay wagon.

I said my neighbor has a Ford 503 hay rake sitting there, and a guy I worked with had a New Holland 68 (I think) he was wanting to sell.

Well, in a short time we was in the hay business! I bought the rake, and my friend bought the baler
The following year I bought a New Holland 450 sickle mower 7 foot cut and a 16 foot wagon. He bought a 16 foot wagon.

2008 was our last hay year. We had different ideas of what we exepected from doing hay together. I wanted to make a profit, he just wanted it gone!

I already had 33 acres, but it was 30 years of overgrown trees in the old dairy pasture. I had a lot of work clearing!

It would not be till 2015 that I would be back at the hay.
That year I found me a Deere 336 baler, with the pan thrower, just like the one that blasted me off the wagon as a youth!

I use a Deere 4520 (compact they call it), NH450 sickle mower, 503 Ford rake, and now 3 flat deck wagons with backs. Both the sickle mower and rake been modified for quick hitch use!

I picked up a NH 404 crusher last year that can be hooked to the 450 sickle bar mower, and need to experiment with that. It was super cheap!

Hoping to get a 2 basket tedder soon, and to convert to using cage wagons, so I can bale by myself if need be!

I like doing hay! :)
1968 Cub Fast-Hitch

Dusty B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61736
Tractors Owned: '45 SC Case

Postby Dusty B » Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:27 pm

Spent many hours on a baler “poking wires “!
Grandpa's '41 B
'56,,'57,'59, Cu'b
'45 C
'55 Case S
Dad's DB garden tractor
'48 DeSoto
'31 "A Coup
'79 Lincoln TC
God looks out for those of us who don't know how to look out for ourselves!

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:37 pm

Dusty B wrote:Spent many hours on a baler “poking wires “!
Not many on here that can claim to be that old. Or at least will not admit to it. :x
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Return to “Off Topic”