This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Dynatrap

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
lyle11
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 44236
Tractors Owned: 48 FCub
55 Lowboy
60 Lowboy
Allis Chalmers B

Dynatrap

Postby lyle11 » Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:13 pm

I’m curious if anybody has used these and has an honest opinion of whether they work to trap and reduce mosquitoes. Last year we bought two. My goal is to significantly reduce mosquitoes near the house.

We bought one and hung it up as directed near the house. It was the 1/2 acre size. I got loads of moths but not much else. I would have returned it to Costco but, using my wife’s logic, we need to buy another one for the other side of the house. So she bought a 1 acre trap and we hung it on the other side of the house. I got some mosquitoes. It becomes kind of a mess of bugs on the bottom of the trap and I wasn’t sure what all was getting trapped.

To be fair, the traps weren’t used as directed, which is to hang them as soon and temperatures are regularly above 45°, typically April in the north. The idea I guess is to kill them as early in the season as possible before they can lay eggs and multiply. The first trap wasn’t up until June and second mid July. Eventually the mosquitoes diminished as the summer went on but that’s normal. Also, one trap came with mosquito lure which definitely helped trap more.

My plan this year is to hang them at the recommended time (when temperatures are regularly over 45°). I also plan to use mosquito lure. So, I was looking for any honest opinion by anybody who has used outdoor Dynatraps. Also, I’m thinking that rather than buy Dynatrap’s mosquito lure, that I haven’t seen in the store and has to be shipped incurring extra cost, I might try citronella or some commonly available product to lure mosquitoes.

On a side note, I found that the indoor type Dynatraps a with a light bulb and sticky paper that you plug into a receptacle worked pretty good. I’d see a fly in the house and usually an hour or two later it would be in the trap.

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Dynatrap

Postby Don McCombs » Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:30 pm

If not mistaken, I think citronella is a repellent, not a lure.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

lyle11
5+ Years
5+ Years
55 Lowboy
60 Lowboy
Allis Chalmers B

Postby lyle11 » Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:54 pm

Thanks Don. I realized that and came back to edit my post to correct my citronella comment. I’ll probably have to buy the Dynatrap lures. I doubt mosquito attracter is gonna be a big seller at the local Walmart. Maybe I can put up one of those bat houses to attract bats to eat the mosquitoes. I see them here in the parks but I have never seen a bat enter or leave one. They are painted black and installed in full sun so bats must like it hot with those narrow openings baking in the sun.

Rick Spivey
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 29518

Postby Rick Spivey » Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:06 pm

I have one Dynatrap that catches mostly gnats. We have had some good luck controlling our mosquitos with a combination of the Dynatrap, planting pots of marigolds on the patio, and then we have loads of dragonflies, and 5-6 purple martins. We also burn citronella torches. We plan to put up purple martin houses this year. to try and lure more of them to hang around.
Rick Spivey
'52 Cub ("Great Personality") 148xxx
'48 Cub with FH ("Gunny Cub") 38xxx
'57 Lambretta (a slow work in progress)
'74 Triumph TR6 (Mama's toy)

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:14 pm

Tree swallows also eat lots of mosquitoes. They are easy to get to nest in a bluebird box.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

lyle11
5+ Years
5+ Years
55 Lowboy
60 Lowboy
Allis Chalmers B

Postby lyle11 » Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:39 pm

We have tree swallows. The bluebirds and tree swallows fight over the 3 bird houses we have up and we always get at least 1 pair of each. My family has owned the place for 52 years and we never had any success getting purple martins. This is farm land with no lake or river within 5 miles. I think that’s why we never attracted purple martins. It also may be that they didn’t like the house we put up, which is the metal octagon style with 2 levels. I have plans for a wood martin house that is supposed to be a design that the birds like. But, I’m thinking with no water nearby I wouldn’t get purple martins.

The house is in the middle of 80 acres and I keep the property clean. I’m not sure how far mosquitoes travel but I don’t know where they hatch on my property. I guess in puddles. Some years we have very few. Last year, we had a lot despite it being relatively dry. I read they breed in stagnant water but the soil there is quite sandy and drains well. So, puddles don’t typically last long.

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:31 am

Octenol is the mosquito attractant and is available from lots of sources so you don't have to go back to the manufacturer of the trap to get it. We have found that treating our lawn for fleas and ticks also significantly reduced our mosquitos. We've used a couple different products, one was Seven granules, I don't recall the other, applied with a broadcast spreader pulled behind our golf cart. (of course you could use a tractor), kinda fun either way.

SamsFarm
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 44410
Tractors Owned: 1968 Cub Fast Hitch
LF-1 Platform Carrier
144 Cultivators
L-F194 Plow(s)
F38 Disk
L-F3 Spring Tooth Harrow
CS Bell No. 60 Grain Mill on a unmodified Fast Hitch Disk hitch prong
Home Made Fast Hitch Potato Plow
54A Blade

Couple 1948 Cubs
172 Runner Planter
53 Fertilizer
Cub-3 Field Cultivator
Cub-189 Two Way Plow
Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower
Mechanical Transplanter with side mount barrel (needs a fast hitch adapter) :)

Misc Belly Mowers

Wish List
International 100 Fast Hitch Blade
Mott Fast Hitch Flail Mower

Wish Wish Wish List
Fast Hitch Rotary Hoe
4E hammer mill

Postby SamsFarm » Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:38 am

My neighbors barn is loaded with bats.
So much so that each year you could probably sweep up a 5 gallon pail of droppings.

In a normal year while my family and friends are getting chewed up at their places, I dont have much trouble!

I think the best way to fight nature is with nature!

I been wanting to build and put up tree swallow houses so they can feast on the flys!
1968 Cub Fast-Hitch

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Postby outdoors4evr » Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:16 am

My neighbors release dragonflies each year in a nearby swamp. They eat mosquito eggs and do a wonderful job at keeping the mosquito population low. I've never lived anywhere that has less mosquitoes than here and this house is near a HUGE swamp.
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

Return to “Off Topic”