Powering a winch on a car trailer?

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
DZG
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 49247

Powering a winch on a car trailer?

Postby DZG » Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:25 am

So hopefully this afternoon im going to pick up a new (to me) 10000gvw 82 wide by 18ft equipment trailer. Ive needed a bigger trailer for a while and im tired of borrowing my buddies lol.

At some point id like to mount a 12,000lb winch on it (better to much then not enough), ive done some research and the winch im looking at pulls 369amps@full load.

Im not good with electric but my question is whats the best way to power this thing? Would a deep cycle marine give me enough ass for a big job? Or would a big regular car battery suffice?

Ive also thought about buying some zero gauge wire and running from my truck battery to the back of the truck with a plug that i can plug the winch into, but im worried about amp drop going through 20+ feet of wire (F250 long bed/extended cab), and i wonder if my charging system would be overtaxed anyways (its a 97 HD with a 460, i think its a 90 or 110 amp alt).

Can anyone point me in a direction here? Lol Thank you.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Powering a winch on a car trailer?

Postby Eugene » Sun Aug 08, 2021 7:13 am

We use a heavy duty/large wire size jumper cables, about 25 feet long, standard automotive battery, engine running.

Plenty of available amps. Over 600 cold cranking amps from the battery plus the amps from the alternator.

There is a limited run time for the winch, so the battery and trucks charging system are not a problem. It probably takes a bit under the 369 amps for the winch to crank over the trucks engine.

Edit: Some other uses for the winch. We have used our winch several times to recover a skid steer. Chain the winch to a large tree and the cable end to the skid steer. Used the skid steer battery and jumper cables to power the winch.

Going to use the winch to pull two each 4" diameter steel clothes line poles.
Last edited by Eugene on Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Steve Butram
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 47906
eBay ID: steveb05
Tractors Owned: 1947 in well used condition
1948 restored
1949 for sale
Nice original 1950 just out of the Demo Range
628 2 wheel Trailer
1950 Demo

Postby Steve Butram » Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:11 am

You have several options
1-Mount a battery box on the trailer and charge it off the trucks electrical system using an in line charger ( have this set up on my open Trailer)
2-Purchase a Heavy Duty Jump box
3-Run the Heavy gauge cables back from the battery

If you purchase a winch with a free spool option. You will not be using up the battery capacity when spooling out the line to hook up

This Jump box a 500Amp CCA reasonably priced. Might be more cost effective than running the cables.And you could use it around the shop.

https://www.centurytool.net/1000_QuickCable_12_Volt_1000_Amp_Booster_Pack_p/604052-001.htm
Be prepared to be unprepared Seth Goden

SamsFarm
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 44410
Tractors Owned: 1968 Cub Fast Hitch
LF-1 Platform Carrier
144 Cultivators
L-F194 Plow(s)
F38 Disk
L-F3 Spring Tooth Harrow
Fast Hitch CS Bell 60 Grain Mill
Home Made Fast Hitch Potato Plow
54A Blade

Couple 1948 Cubs
172 Runner Planter
53 Fertilizer
Cub-3 Field Cultivator
Cub-189 Two Way Plow
Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower
Mechanical Transplanter with side mount barrel (needs a fast hitch adapter) :)

Misc Belly Mowers

Wish List
International 100 Fast Hitch Blade
Mott Fast Hitch Flail Mower

Wish Wish Wish List
Fast Hitch Rotary Hoe
4E hammer mill

Postby SamsFarm » Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:48 am

Remember electric winches have a duty cycle!

X minutes of work

Xx minutes of rest

Chances are the manufacture will have instructions on their recomended hook-up!
1968 Cub fast hitch

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:14 pm

Steve Butram wrote:1-Mount a battery box on the trailer and charge it off the trucks electrical system using an in line charger ( have this set up on my open Trailer)

That is what I plan to do with my newest trailer. I will remove the little battery that came on it with a much heavier version to power my winch and power trailer jack I hope to get soon.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514

Postby tst » Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:55 pm

I have a tool box mounted on the front frame of my trailer with the 10 K winch inside to keep it out of the weather along with a group 31 battery and wired into the truck charging system to keep it up to snuff as I use it a lot, also serves as battery backup for trailer brakes, run it this way for years NP, has remote control for winch

DZG
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby DZG » Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:54 am

Thanks for the advice guys. Sounds like i was overthinking things like usual. I do that cause i worry about spendin a bunch of time and money then not having it work lol.

i didnt think about the duty cycle...so i guess if i got somr big thick cables overloading/heating up/fire shouldnt be an issue. I like the idea best of tying it right into the truck system then i dont have to worry about running out of juice or getting somewhere and realizing i forgot to charge the damn thing (that would be what id do) lol.

thanks!

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Postby outdoors4evr » Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:18 am

Maintaining a battery that is mounted is a pain during the winter. I prefer to bring my RV deep cycle battery inside for the winter.

What about using a jump pack? They are easy to recharge and maybe you could find a couple of different ways to use it.
I'm not sure how many amp hours a winch would require, but recharging a battery is definitely not fun.
https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BK_JS10 ... bk+js1000a
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:49 am

Suggest waiting until you have recieved your purchased winch to make decisions on how to power it.

We have a receiver hitch permanently mounted on the trailer and a removable matching tube on the winch.

Not often do we use the winch with the trailer. Winch is stored inside the shop.

Next question. Will the same truck be towing the trailer every time. We currently have two trucks to tow our trailer.
I have an excuse. CRS.

DZG
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby DZG » Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:06 pm

outdoors4evr wrote:Maintaining a battery that is mounted is a pain during the winter. I prefer to bring my RV deep cycle battery inside for the winter.

What about using a jump pack? They are easy to recharge and maybe you could find a couple of different ways to use it.
I'm not sure how many amp hours a winch would require, but recharging a battery is definitely not fun.
https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BK_JS10 ... bk+js1000a

I thought about a jump pack but ive never really had good luck with any ive ever owned.

DZG
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby DZG » Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:09 pm

Eugene wrote:Suggest waiting until you have recieved your purchased winch to make decisions on how to power it.

We have a receiver hitch permanently mounted on the trailer and a removable matching tube on the winch.

Not often do we use the winch with the trailer. Winch is stored inside the shop.

Next question. Will the same truck be towing the trailer every time. We currently have two trucks to tow our trailer.

Yes, same truck. My 87 Ranger would barely be able to tow it empty much less with anything on it and my 77 F250 isnt plated lol. So yes it would always be my 97 untill i buy a newer truck (pry another couple years.)

I already found the winch i wanna get...its a ZFX (or R) 12k from harbor freight. Brings me to my next question....harbor freight winches are decent arnt they? I know they are no warn but warns are pricy pricy.

One other thing....id like to mount a 2 inch reciever hitch to the trailer as well so i can buy one of those loading cranes yhat fit into a hitch. Any advice on that?

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514

Postby tst » Mon Aug 09, 2021 3:11 pm

I use the HF 10 K winch, I had to in the end take most of the nuts and screws and locktite them, as they were all falling off from the vibration, other than that it has been ok

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Postby outdoors4evr » Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:56 am

Maybe just install a 2" receiver for the winch and put a battery box on the front of the trailer where you could set a battery in it?
Make it easy to remove - possibly just rubber bungee strapped?
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

DZG
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby DZG » Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:33 am

outdoors4evr wrote:Maybe just install a 2" receiver for the winch and put a battery box on the front of the trailer where you could set a battery in it?
Make it easy to remove - possibly just rubber bungee strapped?

I was actually wondering if i coujd come up with a way to mount it (and make it removable) into my pickups 5th wheel rails in the bed....then i could use it with or without the trailer

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:49 am

For the time it sits idle In my jeep tractor I use a larger 12 v solar charger It sits all summer starts up every fall.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.