This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Dell computers

Tools and Reviews to help your fellow Cubber's.
Forum rules
Unwarranted FLAME reviews will be deleted without notice. Members are encouraged to exhaust all arbitration efforts with the companies before posting negative reviews here.

FarmallCub.Com and the moderators are not responsible for member reviews of businesses and attractions.

Send issues regarding reviews to Cub@farmallcub.com.
John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Re: Dell computers

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:41 am

Jason, I do see a dialog box similar to that, and can change printer preferences such as turning on duplexer, etc. there, but only for that print job. It will not retain them for the next one, nor can I change the default printer there.

Maybe I should have prefaced all of this by stating that I am not exactly a novice to computers. I bought my first one around 25 or more years ago, even wrote a few programs in CoCoBasic (telling my age), and kept up seriously until about 10 or 12 years ago. I never did much with networking, but on individual computers I knew as much or more about them than some of the IT people we had working for our company. Unfortunately, sometimes that did not take a whole lot.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Jim Becker » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:56 am

John,
When you get to the dialog box Jason pointed out, try RIGHT click on the slected printer. One of the choices in that menu should be "Set as Default Printer".

Going in the same way to "Properties" then "Preferences" gets you to a place for various settings. There should be a box on the first tab that says "Always Print with Current Settings". That may get you to where you want to end up.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:00 pm

when I get the print dialogue box in the print menu I can do the right click, etc. but cannot make the setting changes permanent, or make the printer default from there.

Gary (technician at store where it is right now), called me and said that apparently the problem is with any parallel port printer. Anything using an LPT port has the same problem. He has a brother that has both ports, and it will show with the USB, but not if he sets it up with parallel.

ToddW
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 54911
Tractors Owned: -
1951 F-Cub
1960 Yellow Loboy
Despeeder, FH Rototiller, / FH York Rake, FH plow, 152 Disk plow, Woods brush mower, Wagner Loader, Grader Blades, 23-A Disc Harrow. Spike tooth harrow
FORD JUBILEE with Sherman 12-speed
1953 Ford F-100 Jubilee
Cadet 108 with mower and snow thrower -Cadet 1650 with deck and thrower

Postby ToddW » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:28 pm

Just get an Apple. The time frustration you then save can be spent on cubs instead

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:43 pm

Todd W wrote:Just get an Apple. The time frustration you then save can be spent on cubs instead
I have given them serious consideration, however I would have to sell a cub to afford it, even after I get a refund on the Dell.

ToddW
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1951 F-Cub
1960 Yellow Loboy
Despeeder, FH Rototiller, / FH York Rake, FH plow, 152 Disk plow, Woods brush mower, Wagner Loader, Grader Blades, 23-A Disc Harrow. Spike tooth harrow
1953 Ford F-100 Jubilee

Postby ToddW » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:57 pm

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/s ... TQzMDMxODY

I'm not an expert on the detail comparison between Dell and this, but I do know the keyboard, mouse, monitor from you old computer should work on this.

My apple is 6 years old and is still working fine for everyday use. Sometimes factoring in the amount of years you get out of a computer helps to offset initial cost spent upfront

Bill E Bob
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 74070

Postby Bill E Bob » Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:31 pm

Todd W wrote:http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_mac/family/mac_mini?mco=MTQzMDMxODY

I'm not an expert on the detail comparison between Dell and this, but I do know the keyboard, mouse, monitor from you old computer should work on this.

My apple is 6 years old and is still working fine for everyday use. Sometimes factoring in the amount of years you get out of a computer helps to offset initial cost spent upfront

AND, considering the money saved on Norton/McAffee yearly protection, it can add up :D

aftermac
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48174
Tractors Owned: 1950 Farmall Cub (iCub)

Postby aftermac » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:02 pm

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:
Todd W wrote:Just get an Apple. The time frustration you then save can be spent on cubs instead
I have given them serious consideration, however I would have to sell a cub to afford it, even after I get a refund on the Dell.

Yeah, but you'll save the money in time and frustration dealing with a Windows PC. ;) If the problem is specifically with a parallel port printer, they sell Parallel to USB adapters and also Parallel print servers to plug them into your router. My 21 year old Apple LaserWriter 360 is on my network using a print server.
Jason

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:43 pm

John:

If it seems to be a port wide problem when you are trying to access the LPT ports.. then there is an IRQ conflict. Probably not enough IRQ's left to utilize. Windows 7 like XP SP3 much prefers to see a printer on a USB port. This makes sense as you can chain up to 256 devices on one single USB Bus. Most new computers have at least 2 USB Busses as in the case of LapTops and Desktops usually have 4 USB Busses. If you are going to dedicated an LPT port for the printer you will have to physically tell Windows that is what you want to do and assign/let windows 7 assign the appropriate IRQ. That should solve the problem.

As far as Apples go -- had an Apple IIe, couple MacIntoshes and a couple Apples in the 90's. Didn't do what I wanted, I like a dos environment and I like to be able to play with my puters. Apples don't like that. Therefore I don't buy Apples. Now an Orange - that be a different ball of wax :lol:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:00 pm

Problem solved. Using a Rosewill LPT card, and drivers installed from disk that came with card. When computer rebooted each time it would update that driver with a different one, which is what was causing the trouble. different LPT card and all is well.

ToddW
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1951 F-Cub
1960 Yellow Loboy
1953 Ford F-100 Jubilee

Postby ToddW » Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:26 am

]

With this bad economy and umemployment, it's a good thing this is so many of you PC fans out there!

After all, we need to keep all those IT guys employed fixing all the software problems that come from PC and windows :lol: 8)

aftermac
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48174
Tractors Owned: 1950 Farmall Cub (iCub)

Postby aftermac » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:30 am

Rudi wrote:As far as Apples go -- had an Apple IIe, couple MacIntoshes and a couple Apples in the 90's. Didn't do what I wanted, I like a dos environment and I like to be able to play with my puters. Apples don't like that. Therefore I don't buy Apples. Now an Orange - that be a different ball of wax :lol:

Rudi, I can understand the want for a command shell, but Mac's have changed quite a bit the last 11 years... you can do a whole lot of playing with UNIX. :)
Jason

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:40 am

Jason:

I am a huge fan of Unix .. that is one language that is actually useful and still compact. Unlike Windows and Microsoft's fascination with Visual Basic and layer upon layer upon layer of these cute little VB Boxes which is why the Windows OS is huge. With Unix, it is base code and you can do so much with it. Must be otherwise Linus Torvald would never have come up with Linux for the PC user :{_}: One down side to that is that it takes quite a while to learn Linux or Unix and it is probably beyond the average PC/Apple user. Just the nerds I guess -- and quirky techs like me :lol:

Now to kinda get back on topic. Dell nor any other computer company really likes to handle software issues, but since they purchase bulk licenses from Microsoft, they have no choice but to maintain the software that comes ready to install with OEM specific run routines. Each manufacturer is different and their install routines are model specific and not interchangeable even within their product lines. For example a Dell Lattitude C-600 install routine would not work in the next gen of the C series or any other. Therefore they are responsible. Microsoft even states this on their website software support areas. Very important.

Nice thing I have learned over the last 20 years as a tech on PC's -- there are really very few problems that I get after I showed my customers what to do with a PC such as running maintenance programs and how to file data. The biggest problem I found was family computers where the kids think they are technical geniuses and install not 1 but 2 or more anti-virus programs on top of the one I install and recommend. Automatic conflicts which really mess it up. Once the kids are told a number of times it eventually gets into their heads and problems solved.

Apples like PC's have hardware issues -- many hardware issues and I suspect they are about equal. The warranty centre I have to take my laptops to also do warranty on Apples - that was their primary focus before become factory approved for Dell, Toshiba, IBM, Acer etc.... Been told many times that when a hardware problem arises on an Apple it is a major issue and majorly expensive. Nope, not my bag.

Nice thing about a PC, ifn you get an on-board malfunction you can usually toggle it to disable/off either physically or in the BIOS/Post menus and then simply add on a new PCI/AGP card to the buss and away you go. Rather simple.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:12 pm

Rudi wrote:...........
Now to kinda get back on topic. Dell nor any other computer company really likes to handle software issues, but since they purchase bulk licenses from Microsoft, they have no choice but to maintain the software that comes ready to install with OEM specific run routines. Each manufacturer is different and their install routines are model specific and not interchangeable even within their product lines. For example a Dell Lattitude C-600 install routine would not work in the next gen of the C series or any other. Therefore they are responsible. Microsoft even states this on their website software support areas. Very important........-
My reason for starting this thread was to get people to realize that Dell, and I later learned
Sony also do not include the Software support for Windows as part of the warranty, you have to pay extra for it. HP and Apple do include it.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:34 pm

John:

Yup you are correct. I understand that Dell apparently doesn't want to support it unless you pay for it.

Microsoft states in their Windows Operating System Product Support Lifecycle FAQ

2. How do I know who provides support for my Windows desktop operating system?

If you obtained a retail (packaged product) copy of a Windows desktop operating system you are eligible for support from Microsoft, subject to the Support Lifecycle policy and to the support terms and conditions that were in place at the time of purchase. If you acquired your Windows desktop operating system through a Microsoft Volume Licensing program or from an Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM), Microsoft offers access to a wealth of online self-help support content in addition to paid support offerings. If you acquired your Windows desktop operating system through an OEM, contact your OEM for more information about the support offerings for Windows desktop operating systems from that OEM.

It just doesn't say that it would be free. Looks like some major changes in the support categories.

Your posting about Dell requiring payment to support Windows 7 is apropos and a word of warning to the wise shopper. Take what John says into consideration when shopping for a new laptop or desktop computer. I think Dell is making a major error here as customers may not appreciate that. Sony should know better after the Beta fiasco :big give up: Caveat Emptor :!:

Return to “Tool Talk and Reviews”