RockAuto.com

Tools and Reviews to help your fellow Cubber's.
Forum rules
Unwarranted FLAME reviews will be deleted without notice. Members are encouraged to exhaust all arbitration efforts with the companies before posting negative reviews here.

FarmallCub.Com and the moderators are not responsible for member reviews of businesses and attractions.

Send issues regarding reviews to Cub@farmallcub.com.
ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120
Circle of Safety: Y

RockAuto.com

Postby ricky racer » Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:06 pm

My 2wd Ford F350 dually was in need of front tires and I knew the front brakes needed attention. I decided to check things out before winter gets here and I still have my motorcycle to get me back and forth to work. I jacked up the front of the truck, slipped a set of jack stands under it and pulled off the front wheels. While checking things out, I noticed an excessive amount of slop in the ball joints. :evil: I do most of the work to my vehicles but did not want to change the ball joints. After all, it's bow season... :shock:

I called Denny at Denny's Automotive in Buchanan, MI a man and garage I trust to see what the cost would be. Well, for ball joint replacement, turn the rotors, new pads and an alignment, $780. :shock: That wasn't going to happen. Having never replaced ball joints before, I knew I was about to get an education. I started checking prices for ball joints and pads on line at the normal Advance Auto, O'reilly Auto Parts, NAPA and the like. Most were very close in price. I ended up finding what I needed at RockAuto.com for nearly half of the cost of what I could get locally. The ball joints are MOOG and the same part numbers quoted locally. The pads are Raybestos and were a close out special. I placed my order on Wednesday evening. They quoted delivery by the following Wednesday. Two days later, on Friday the ball joints arrived from Texas and the pads from Ohio. Not bad. :wink:

Anyway, I borrowed a ball joint press from a friend and the job went very well. I didn't get to start until Monday evening working outside of my shop since the dually is a tight fit in the shop. The weather has been good but the days are getting short allowing only a little time each evening to work on it. It's back together and I'll be picking up my tires either tomorrow or Saturday morning. I'll mount them Saturday, get an alignment from Denny and we should be good to go... :coffee:
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 06040
Tractors Owned: 77 Cub (red); 74 Cub; 52 Cub; 50 Cub ( post-demo)

Re: RockAuto.com

Postby bob in CT » Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:23 am

I use them quite a bit. The closeout specials are so cheap sometimes, I buy parts to have them in inventory, like wipers, brake rotors and pads. They are about the only place that still sells wiper blade inserts. At $17 for a set of top-tier rotors, it is cheap enough to put them on when doing a pad change! I have a 17 year old car that still is going strong and I fix every little thing on it to keep it that way. Probably costs me less than one "car payment" a year.

Peter Person
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 06076

Postby Peter Person » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:22 am

Rick,
RockAuto is where we get most of our parts too.
Even with shipping they are less than Advanced Auto using the 30% Coupon (TRT30) at checkout. You can grab a 5% Coupon for RockAuto doing a google search.
Aron and I just did the upper control arm/ball joints and lower ball joints on the 2006 Silverado using MOOG parts. I did have to buy new control arm bolts from Advanced Auto once we started the project, so I still use them, but always with the coupon code at checkout. RockAuto bill came to $226 delivered, MOOG Bolts from Advanced - $54. and front end alignment at Firestone - $95. All told we had 22 manhours into the project. Passenger side was a real bear as the bolts were completely siezed inside the bushings. Drivers side came apart quite easy. Had to improvise with installing the lower ball joints as we did not have a ball joint press. Went with the assembled upper control arm/ball joint since it was only about $30 more than just the ball joint by itself.

As long as we can plan on a particular repair ahead of time, it's definitely worth getting the parts from RockAuto.

Peter
1957 Farmall Cub "Emory", Fast-Hitch, L-F194 Plow & Colter, L-38 Disc Harrow, Cub-54A Blade, Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower, IH 100 Blade

Circle of Safety

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Postby ricky racer » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:41 am

Advance Auto quoted me $143 for 1 upper and 1 lower MOOG ball joint and a set of brake pads. RockAuto sent me 2 upper and 2 lower MOOG ball joints and a set of pads delivered to my door for $140.
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

Jackman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12487

Postby Jackman » Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:30 pm

I've done Ford truck ball joints a bunch of times it never gets easy and worth a day off work , at a shop joints and alignment easy 1,200 dollars

Trent M
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 62859

Postby Trent M » Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:08 pm

Yep, I use RockAuto as well. I find they are about half price of what NAPA charges too.
Trent McPeak

Return to “Tool Talk and Reviews”