Lincoln 140 Weld Pak Mig

Tools and Reviews to help your fellow Cubber's.
Forum rules
Unwarranted FLAME reviews will be deleted without notice. Members are encouraged to exhaust all arbitration efforts with the companies before posting negative reviews here.

FarmallCub.Com and the moderators are not responsible for member reviews of businesses and attractions.

Send issues regarding reviews to Cub@farmallcub.com.
BIGHOSS
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37087
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub S/N 9216
w/ C-22 Mower

1974 Cub S/N 244814
w/59 Woods Mower

Ford 3000 Gas S/N C375091 w/Bushhog QT2345 Loader & 6' Squealer Bushhog
and a Palomino Mare named GIGI
Circle of Safety: Y

Lincoln 140 Weld Pak Mig

Postby BIGHOSS » Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:13 am

Looking to add a MIG welder to my toys(oops tools). Been to three estate auctions in the past 6 weeks that had good Millermatics. They sold for $1,000-2,200 which is way out of my price range.
My local pawn shop, that I have purchased some good small tools over the years, has a brand new Lincoln 140 Weld Pak 110 volt. Found out online that there are apparently some differences in the 140s. Such as HD, X S etc. Did not look close enough to see exactly what this one is.

But, here is the main concern. I have a old stick welder that is bulletproof for my heavy welding , if I still wanted to use it. Never thought that I would consider a 110 volt vs a 220, but the price is surely tempting. I can buy this one at the pawn shop for about 1/2 of Lowes price. So, what is the possibility of using the Lincoln for light work (up to1/8" mig and 5/16 flux) and the old stick for heavy work? Or am I wasting my money?

By the way, a large welder repair shop in Nashville says run from the Lincoln. Circuit boards (didn't know it had one) are prone to fail and are pricey.

Your input is welcome.
Thanks
Ron
"Courage is being scared to death-but saddling up anyway".......John Wayne

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Re: Lincoln 140 Weld Pak Mig

Postby Bill Hudson » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:20 pm

Ron,

I have a Lincoln SP-135 Plus that I purchased (from a large welding supply company, no Big Box Store) probably 15+ years ago. I have had no problems with it, period. I can't say that you could expect the same with a 140 since I have no base for comparison.

Let me say that, in the hands of an experienced welder (meaning not me but my next door neighbor) that machine works well. As an example he butt welded a 4" wide 3/4" plate and it did a super job. He needed to preheat the pieces a bit to get the penetration he wanted. The pieces were then easily welded together with just the heat from the welder keeping the piece warm enough to maintain penetration. Multiple passes were needed to fill the vee. He followed that up with a similar butt weld on a 1/2" thick piece. He passed on using my 220 volt stick welder to do the job.

In the interest of full disclosure, he is a certified welder and works for Lincoln.

Hope this helps.

Bill (I'd be on my way to the pawn shop) Hudson

EDIT: My neighbor got home a few minutes ago and I went over and asked about the circuit board problems ---- Yes, the circuit board problems are real. Lincoln changed vendors and the newest 140s have inferior circuit boards which are causing problems. My 135 is "tried and true" and a reliable machine.

I'm sorry to have jumped the gun. :oops: :oops:

Bill (not on my way to the pawn shop) Hudson
"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

BIGHOSS
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37087
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub S/N 9216
w/ C-22 Mower

1974 Cub S/N 244814
w/59 Woods Mower

Ford 3000 Gas S/N C375091 w/Bushhog QT2345 Loader & 6' Squealer Bushhog
and a Palomino Mare named GIGI

Postby BIGHOSS » Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:21 pm

Thanks Bill..........Good input. The pawn shop welder is in fact a 140 HD (whatever that means).
"Courage is being scared to death-but saddling up anyway".......John Wayne

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:55 pm

Glad to be of help.

Bill
"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

Rodney51Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 62995
Tractors Owned: 1951 Farmall Cub
1950 John Deere A
1950 Case VAI
1944 Farmall H
1943 Farmall H
1940 Farmall H

Postby Rodney51Cub » Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:20 am

I own a 140 HD. Have had it maybe 4 years. Probably use a roll of wire a year. I use flux core wire. I am very happy with the welder.

Rodney 8)