This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

flow chart

How do I.... ?
John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

flow chart

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:25 pm

Could someone that is better with computers than I am take these instructions and make them into a flow chart that could be saved on the forum? I am tired of typing them and afraid I will make a mistakes as many times as I have done it. Might need to expand it ot start with good spark from coil high tension lead yes or no.

Ignition switch on, check + side of coil (side going to switch) It should have voltage anytime switch is on. If no voltage work back toward switch and beyond it to find why no voltage.

If voltage at + side of coil move to negative side. Engine stops most of time with points closed, which provides a ground for coil, so no voltage there would be normal. As engine is cranked over the voltage should be on when points open and off when points close so the light flashing or meter jumping would be normal.

If no voltage at - side of coil at anytime, disconnect wire from coil to distributor. If still no voltage at - side, replace coil. If voltage at - side when wire removed, check distributor for short, either points stuck, condenser shorted, or insulator or wires shorted.

If voltage at - side of coil all the time engine is cranking, most likely burned points, but could also be bad wire between distributor and coil, or bad connection. Could even be points out of adjustment. I have seen points that had rusted and the spring broken, causing an open, and contacts that have fallen off of points.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: flow chart

Postby Don McCombs » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:50 pm

John, does this look like what you want?
EJP Flow Chart New.pdf
(30.37 KiB) Downloaded 604 times
What would you like to call the flow chart?
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1 is for parts), (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (2)154 Number Series Loboys, (1 is for parts), '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '47 & '49 Avery V, '53 MM BG (offset), '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76? Yanmar 2TR15 1500 & Bush Hog SQ42S-2 mower, '78? FORD Dexta, '86 FORD LGT14D & 48" Mower, (2)Cub Cadets & Mowers (MTD), (4) Sears Surburban's, other MTD mowers, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"

Postby staninlowerAL » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:24 pm

I like it. Thanks John and Don.
Stan in LA (lower AL)
USAF & Reserves, Reg ARMY, ARMY NG (AL)

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:43 am

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:Could someone that is better with computers than I am take these instructions and make them into a flow chart that could be saved on the forum? I am tired of typing them and afraid I will make a mistakes as many times as I have done it. Might need to expand it ot start with good spark from coil high tension lead yes or no.

Ignition switch on, check + side of coil (side going to switch) It should have voltage anytime switch is on. If no voltage work back toward switch and beyond it to find why no voltage.

If voltage at + side of coil move to negative side. Engine stops most of time with points closed, which provides a ground for coil, so no voltage there would be normal. As engine is cranked over the voltage should be on when points open and off when points close so the light flashing or meter jumping would be normal.

If no voltage at - side of coil at anytime, disconnect wire from coil to distributor. If still no voltage at - side, replace coil. If voltage at - side when wire removed, check distributor for short, either points stuck, condenser shorted, or insulator or wires shorted.

If voltage at - side of coil all the time engine is cranking, most likely burned points, but could also be bad wire between distributor and coil, or bad connection. Could even be points out of adjustment. I have seen points that had rusted and the spring broken, causing an open, and contacts that have fallen off of points.

Don McCombs wrote:John, does this look like what you want?
EJP Flow Chart New.pdf
What would you like to call the flow chart?

Probably should have "Distributor" somewhere in the title, since this is not for those with magnetos. Correct?
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

Urbish
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48158
Tractors Owned: ~
1958 International Cub LoBoy
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B
2022 Massey Ferguson GC1723E Subcompact

Cub Loboy L-54 Leveling and Grader Blade

Postby Urbish » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:35 am

How about this one? Let me know if there needs to be any changes or if the wording should be more specific.
Attachments
Distributor Ignition - Diagnosing Weak or No Spark.pdf
(103.27 KiB) Downloaded 568 times
Jim

Circle of Safety

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:06 pm

Stanton wrote:......

Probably should have "Distributor" somewhere in the title, since this is not for those with magnetos. Correct?
You are correct.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:10 pm

Urbish, it is much better than I coudl even think about doing, but the first step, rather than rejoice, needs to point to rotor, cap, wires, plugs as possible problems.

Urbish
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48158
Tractors Owned: ~
1958 International Cub LoBoy
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B
2022 Massey Ferguson GC1723E Subcompact

Cub Loboy L-54 Leveling and Grader Blade

Postby Urbish » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:48 pm

Revision A attached:
Attachments
Distributor Ignition - Diagnosing Weak or No Spark - Rev A.pdf
(105.18 KiB) Downloaded 581 times
Jim

Circle of Safety

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:19 pm

Looks pretty good to me, but needs note: For 12 volt negative ground, for 6 volt positive ground the + and - of the coil would be reversed. Or might be ahead to reverse the + and - on the drawing to make the chart for 6 volt systems since there are a lot more of them than 12 volt, and include note that 12 volt would have + and - of coil reversed. Wonder if might be ahead to include a copy of Farmall Bob's 6 volt distributor wiring diagram with a note it is his drawing as part of the how to thread.

Return to “Message Board & Computer Questions”