This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

"New" Ford 8N

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
T-Mo
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 63628
Tractors Owned: '40 H
'44 B
'47 Cub
'49 C
54A Blade
42 Woods Mower
Henderson Loader
Cultivators
No. 8 Little Genius 2-12 Plow
IH Running Gear
Circle of Safety: Y

"New" Ford 8N

Postby T-Mo » Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:53 am

I picked this up over the last weekend. Drove down to near Metropolis, Illinois (Brookport, to be exact). It sort of a Frankenstein tractor, especially the engine. It appears to be, from certain features, an early 1948. Holes in the grill for the "Ferguson System" badge that were on the 9Ns and 2Ns tractor, and Ford did not remove the holes until later in 1948 (though Ford did not put the badge on the 8Ns at all). Steering knuckle is from an earlier 8N. Oil filler tube is on the forward part of the engine as the earlier 8Ns had front mount distributors and the generator on the right. In 1950, Ford changed the engine to mount a side distributor on the right side, moved the generator to the left side, and move the oil filler tube back and down on the left side to allow for the mounting of the generator. The engine on this 8N seems to have been modified with a side distributor, which means the timing cover and cam had to be changed out. Since the block is from an earlier 8N which had the oil filler tube on the forward left side of the block, they just smashed the filler tube against the block, which means the cap is almost touching the underside of the fuel tank. I can get the cap off and I believe I can add oil with a flexible hose. The filler tube is smashed to allow the alternator to be mounted on the left side (yes, this has been converted to 12V). The hood was painted to cover rust spots that if you get closer to the tractor, the rust spots are clearly visible.

In addition to the images, I'm attaching a short video of it running that the previous owner made.

Attachments
Ford 8N trailer left.jpeg
Ford 8N trailer right front.jpeg
Ford 8N trailer left front.jpeg

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Re: "New" Ford 8N

Postby Stanton » Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:07 am

Nice looking 8N, Terry. Got any plans for it? Are you going to fix some of those issues you mentioned?

Thanks for sharing... :hattip:
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

T-Mo
5+ Years
5+ Years
'44 B
'47 Cub
'49 C
54A Blade
42 Woods Mower
Henderson Loader
Cultivators
IH Running Gear

Postby T-Mo » Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:31 am

I have some 3 point attachments and want to add more. These attachments will go on this tractor and my 2N.

As for the issues mentioned, I may see if I can find a shorter filler tube. The side distributor is working and is easier to get to for maintenance than a front mount one, so that will stay. I may change out the grille, but that isn't a top priority right now. I want to do a fluid change, spark plug change, etc. and maybe tune up the timing a bit. It needs a knob for the choke rod, so I'll buy one of those. A good cleaning is in order. I already painted the radiator cap, as it's supposed to be black. While I was that, I took the aftermarket tool box off the fender and painted it black also. I got the rear light working (paint covering the ground contact). I may go through the wiring later. Right now all the lights work and it the wiring that's on it is working.

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:19 am

Nice toy.

T-Mo
5+ Years
5+ Years
'44 B
'47 Cub
'49 C
54A Blade
42 Woods Mower
Henderson Loader
Cultivators
IH Running Gear

Postby T-Mo » Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:49 am

Here are my two N-series Ford tractors. One is a 1944 2N (the painted greyish-beige one). I figured out that the other one is a 1947 8N with some modifications, i.e. side distributor instead of the front mount distributor. And this 8N, someone replaced the original 8N engine with a late 2N engine. The serial number on the block was hard to read, but I was able to deciphered it enough to find out it was a 2N engine. Luckily I found another serial number stamped on the transmission that makes it a early 1947 8N, which from the other features on the tractor corresponds to it being an early '47 8N.
Attachments
IMG_2115 copy.jpeg
IMG_2114 copy.jpeg
IMG_2113 copy.jpeg

Eskimotom
Zip Code: 56368

Postby Eskimotom » Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:43 am

That's a nice looking pair. I've got a 48 with a Dearborn Loader which I'm rewiring now. Came back from the shop after a clutch replacement in a mess.
Richmond/Cold Spring, MN

T-Mo
5+ Years
5+ Years
'44 B
'47 Cub
'49 C
54A Blade
42 Woods Mower
Henderson Loader
Cultivators
IH Running Gear

Postby T-Mo » Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:06 am

Right now I have the hood off the 8N to make some engine repairs. If I had the right parts, I'll convert this back to a front mount distributor tractor. I also am looking at picking up a parts 8N, if the guy will come off his price a bit more.