Farmer Fixes

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Farmer Fixes

Postby Eugene » Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:45 pm

Getting a John Deere model 52 plow ready for spring. Model 52 came out in 1934.

Greasing the coulters, one zerk wouldn't take grease. Started to remove the coulter axle and discovered that there was a multiple strands of copper wire used as a washer. Checked the other coulter and found a large nut used as a washer. Fixed the zerk/grease situation. Went to my stash of nuts and bolts, found a large nut and used it instead of the copper wire as a washer.

Plasma cutter used to cut the bolts holding the entire bottom and moldboard from the bottom. Plasma cutter to cut a matching piece from another similar moldboard. Welded up the moldboard.

Plow bolts holding the moldboard to the frame. Only plow bolts that came close were from the local hardware store. Put everything back together and took a grinder to smooth out the plow bolts with the moldboard.

Searching for bolts, hardware store owner asked me what I was looking for told him I had everything but plow bolts. Store owner walked between the racks of bolt and nut bins pointing at the shelf above the bins. Stopped, pointed at 6 or 8 boxes of plow bolts. The boxes containing the plow bolts were labeled 65 cents each, that's what the store owner charged me.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Rick Spivey
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 29518
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Farmer Fixes

Postby Rick Spivey » Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:29 pm

Great find, and good buy!
Rick Spivey
'52 Cub ("Great Personality") 148xxx
'48 Cub with FH ("Gunny Cub") 38xxx