This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Toro Workmaster

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Toro Workmaster

Postby Stanton » Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:04 am

ScottyD'sdad wrote:...Not even unloaded from the trailer. It's about 5th on the list, for getting fixed. Ed

Does this mean you've got the other four (higher priority) items done on your list? :lol:

Seriously, now that you can attach photos, give us some updates along the way. We'd like to see what you're doing... :coffee:
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02769
Tractors Owned: 6"F" cubs
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
1 IH model B corn grinder
3 power units
cub demonstrator

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:39 am

That photo was copied from the Craigs List ad. I can't attach my photos. I'm electronically challenged.
2 projects in the garage, mostly done. Too cold out there to work, so I'm in the basement, where I can work with one arm, hug the wood stove with the other.
Ed
Member of Chapter 18, and National
Circle of Safety

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
3 power units
cub demonstrator

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:56 am

Toro update..... Trying to start the engine, just bypassing the wiring and fuel system, using carb cleaner or starting fluid, to see if I can get even a 2 minute run, out of it. Has good compression. Wasn't getting a spark. Changed the coil, points and condenser, and now get a good spark. Acts like it's out oif time. Only timing adjustment, is point gap. Adjusting them, doesn't make much difference. Someone suggested flywheel key. It's hydrostatic, so I doubt that the engine received enough stress to bend the flywheel key. 14 HP Kohler engine, 1970's era. Any suggestions would be welcome. It's stressing my limited sanity!

Ed
Circle of Safety

Indy4570
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 65608
Tractors Owned: 49 F cub, donor
50 Farmall Cub bugeyes(dead)
55 Farmall Cub Clementine
55 International loboy
62 140 Industrial The Beast
50s Allis Chalmers B
50 Ferguson TO20 Huppster
49 Ferguson TE20 Fergie
JD 790 4x4 w/backhoe
hinomoto diesel 4x4, early to mid 80s 20HP
73 Pasquali 4x4 diesel 33HP
74 Toro golf course tractor
Gilson 18HP

Postby Indy4570 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:23 pm

well have you checked the spark timing while the engine is on the compression stroke? like you know, plug out and your finger in the hole? one thing that has been an issue for me before is just a chunk of carbon, blocked valve from closing, so no compression. I would pull the head n inspect things.

been working on my Toro ParkMaster. got a replacement transmission and got it to fire but carb is still messed up, wish you luck with your Toro, hope to see it running around soon!
Circle of Safety
better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it...( YES this includes CUBS! )

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
3 power units
cub demonstrator

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:39 pm

Seems to be a compression release issue.. Head is off, valves open and close properly. No exhaust valve movement, to release compression. I think the compression release has a broken tab. Have another camshaft on order. Didn't want to get that far into the engine, but, it won't run the way it is. My guess is that it wouldn't start, and was given up for dead.

Ed
Circle of Safety

hideztractor
Zip Code: 92371

Postby hideztractor » Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:42 am

Hi, I'm new to the site. I've been trying to ID my Toro, & then I came across your pictures. I have the same one, except minus the rust. First of all I can tell you how to start your engine. I have the same one. I took the carb apart & cleaned it out. Very simple carb. Didn't have to use a rebuild kit. Ok now the idle air/fuel mix screw on the right side turn it in all the way & back it out 2 1/2 turns. Your main air/fuel mix screw center on the top turn in all the way in & back it out 3 1/4 turns. The governor spring connect it to the long gov arn 3rd hole from the bottom & first hole on the top on the throttle arm so that the spring looks level. Don't take the governor arm off or loosen it. & don't turn the sensitivity screw on it. Squart some gas or starter fluid in it & put chock plate on. I had to jump mine so hot wire from battery to the coil & jump solenoid. The chock will probably have to stay on for a bit. Oh adjust points at .020. Mine would not start until I did all that. I hope it starts for ya. Now I have a couple questions. I am not able to find an ID tag on it. You mentioned that you found one. I only have found engine ID so far. Is it a 1973 or so? Also the throttle cable & the forward & reverse cable. There is an arm at the steering column that just goes up & down. I thought it was for the throttle, but now I think it's for forward & reverse. The thing is I can't find out where the cable for the forward & reverse hooks to. I looked around the rear diff thinking I would see a lever or something for it to hook to. Also the gas peddle is not a gas peddle. I guess it's to engage the power like a clutch except in the opposite way. I'm going to run it today for the first time I would like to know how to get it into reverse. Wow, looks like I wrote a book.

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
3 power units
cub demonstrator

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:53 pm

ID plate is on the triangular plate in front of the left fender, below the argo box.
Engine compression release seems to be the issue, but I haven't had time to touch it for a while. I believe mine is a 71. That lever is for forward and reverse. Do you have the manual for it?
Ed
Circle of Safety

tjvickery
Zip Code: 00000

Postby tjvickery » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:52 pm

I have an old toro workmaster 3 wheel utility cart I'm working on. Can't find the ID plate. It has the K321 Engine year 1984. Anyone know what type fluid goes in the hydrostatic drive? It does have a large Wix filter 51553

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:59 pm

This is probably much more recent, but the fluid recommendation may be the same.
https://media.toro.com/servicemanuals/02107sl.pdf

tjvickery

Postby tjvickery » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:16 pm

Yes PDF file is for the late model units.
I removed the Filter and it was about 1/2 full, appears to be a heavy oil or hydraulic oil and definitely not a transmission fluid.
Thanks for the reply,
TJ

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:46 pm

tjvickery wrote:I removed the Filter and it was about 1/2 full, appears to be a heavy oil or hydraulic oil and definitely not a transmission fluid.
Most hydraulic oil, including ATF and power steering is 10W.

What someone installed, hard to tell. Early hydraulic systems called for 10 weight non-detergent engine oil.

See if you can find the lubrication specifications for your machine.

If you determine who manufactured the hydrostatic transmission you can determinine the type of fluid.

If the oil filter is horizontally installed, it will retain oil.
I have an excuse. CRS.

tjvickery

Postby tjvickery » Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:47 am

Thanks

john2189
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44657

Postby john2189 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:09 am

You could ask on the red square wheel horse forum.
'49 Cub (Vince)
'41 allis B with Woods L59 mower
656 Wheel Horse with 42” sickle mower
C-165 Wheel Horse
Simplicity 20 HP Sunstar
Honda 48” walk behind mower

spartantoro
Zip Code: 49506

Postby spartantoro » Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:37 pm

I'm late to the thread, but congratulations on your Toro Workmaster. I'd worked for Toro and know these models well. They were made from around 1973 through the early 1980s. Were early predecessors to the later Toro Workman - as well as other units like John Deere Gator and Kawasaki Mule, etc. Are very well-built and use the virtually bulletproof Kohler 14hp engine - which Toro also used extensively on all their Greens Master riding greens mowers for use on golf courses.

I recently purchased a 1976 model a few years ago. Most of the main consumable parts (e.g., filters, wheels, tires, etc.) can still be purchased through your local Toro distributor. While ours is still in original unrestored condition, it runs like a top and is a very useful and fun machine to use.

Nez4Prez

Postby Nez4Prez » Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:09 pm

Hey guys, I'm new to this site, but what I've been reading here, there is some great information!
I'm currently in the middle of doing a complete restoration on my Toro Workmaster. It was given to me by my Grandmother who recently passed away. It belonged to my Grandpa back in the day, and I remember very well the fun we had with it growing up. This machine means a lot to me, and I can't wait to share it with my children, and my nieces.
What I'm wondering, is if anyone know, or has any spare parts, or where they may be found. I'm looking mainly for a steering wheel, and the plastic cover for the dash that covers the hole for the speedometer. Also, wondering if anyone know how to read the serial tag? I'm curious to know the year of my machine.

Serial number 08300-50790

Thanks for any help! And thanks for all the material so far! I'd like to see this thread keep going! You just don't see these old work masters anywhere! I'll try to post some pictures of my project also.