This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

My other child, the very interesting perkins.

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Shadow_storm56
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: B4V6X7

My other child, the very interesting perkins.

Postby Shadow_storm56 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:00 pm

So one of my other older engines is a perkins t6.3544 that is moderately modified and around 38 years old I think. I posted alot about it on another fourm but just found another interesting thing about it that may explain other issues.

So this engine runs a water pump that loads it down alot at higher rev, runs it no problem with plenty of power and it cools itself just fine. Some hot to stand by on a hot day when it's blasting off heat lol. So now to the issue that it has and had even after new valve guides were put in, it likes to burn oil at higher rpm... usually once you cross 2000 rpm. Fun fact now that I have a synthetic high temp oil in it the amount of oil it burns is very tiny. Like almost nothing really and this engine runs really long days. So now to what I realized which is if I keep the oil level at just the tip of the dipstick, well below the full or low mark it burns basically like.... a cup oil in 20 hours. If I fill it to full it would burn down to the tip of the dipstick in that amount of time. I noticed long ago that the dipstick tube had been broken and welded back on so the tip may actually be the original position of the full mark so that's interesting. Oil pressure runs steady at 60 with the synthetic and sump temps are well within normal range.

So now to another really odd thing it does, if I start reving to the 22-2400 range which is max rpm for the pump it will randomly building sump pressure and pop out the dipstick and squirt out oil. But the crank vent is not plugged and not roaring out gasses at this point, some say maybe one of the rings starts to not be able to hold the pressure at this point and some of the gases blast down and displace the oil. I have not needed to rev it past 2100 this year yet to see if the oil level helps that too.

This is a really long post but I know some people would find this interesting, especially since this engine was turbo charged from new but when we got it the engine had been converted to naturally aspirated. This works fine unless I overload it and the my stack starts to glow, this only happened once when I was finding the engines limits. So people have said that my issues point to possible major engine issues like a cracked ring. Funny thing is theres no colored smoke, no reduction in power, it starts easy, runs clean and cool (unless I load it too much)

The last thing I wondered is my pump actually had to be put on upside down for the situation which is fine except it's a graphite seal that by design always drips. This water runs down by the fly wheel and the fly wheel sprays the water out the side, so it could be not burning oil at all and have a little rear main leak which the water washes it away without notice.

Literally this engine has 1 problem that has many possible causes and otherwise it sounds great and purrs like a kitten. So that's the story of another one of my machines, what do you think?

Urbish
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48158
Tractors Owned: ~
1958 International Cub LoBoy
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B
2022 Massey Ferguson GC1723E Subcompact

Cub Loboy L-54 Leveling and Grader Blade
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: My other child, the very interesting perkins.

Postby Urbish » Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:26 am

Can we assume you have performed hot/cold and wet/dry compression tests on this engine?
Jim

Circle of Safety

Shadow_storm56
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby Shadow_storm56 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:53 am

I haven't but they did compression tests when they redid the valve guides a few years ago. It has good compression, it starts easy nomatter the weather or temp. Well I haven't tried it in the dead of winter but no diesel stars easy then

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Jim Becker » Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:41 am

Shadow_storm56 wrote:. . . I noticed long ago that the dipstick tube had been broken and welded back on so the tip may actually be the original position of the full mark so that's interesting. . .

Drain the oil out then refill with a measured amount as spec'ed for wet capacity. See where the level ends up.

Shadow_storm56
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby Shadow_storm56 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:41 am

Not sure what the rated capacity actually is.

Shadow_storm56
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby Shadow_storm56 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:52 pm

Jim Becker wrote:
Shadow_storm56 wrote:. . . I noticed long ago that the dipstick tube had been broken and welded back on so the tip may actually be the original position of the full mark so that's interesting. . .

Drain the oil out then refill with a measured amount as spec'ed for wet capacity. See where the level ends up.

I will say with the conventional oil the oil pressure would drop to around 45 when the oil got lower. With the synthetic it stays at 58-60 for oil pressure even when it gets lower. Problem is I found info for thaat engine saying it can hold anywhere from like 2 gallons of oil to like 6 depending on the pan setup. I mean if it maintains oul pressure does it matter if the oil level is up to full?

Return to “Other Tractors and Machinery”