Engine life vs rpm? Diesel engine

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Shadow_storm56
Cub Star
Cub Star
Posts: 84
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:26 pm
Zip Code: B4V6X7

Engine life vs rpm? Diesel engine

Postby Shadow_storm56 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:53 pm

How much does RPM effect an engines lifespan? The engines running my two main irrigation pumps (perkins diesel and international diesel) run at around 2000-2300rpm when running irrigation reels and guns. Usually not past 2200 but have pushed them to 2400 before. The engine may run for 14 hour periods at a time sitting at these rpms with only small breaks before going again. Oil pressure on both engines is 60-65. I know diesels are not huge fans of high rpm but still, it just has me curious how this effects the engines life span. Also all temps and fluids are good in these engines

User avatar
Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Posts: 5036
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2004 10:53 am
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "The Paperweight"
Cub powered IH 52R combine
Grandfather's 1948 Super A
White demo Super A-"Ol Whitey"
1950 Super A "Old Ugly"
1954 Super A-1
856
Buncha other junk
Circle of Safety: Y
Location: NC, Jacksonville area

Re: Engine life vs rpm? Diesel engine

Postby Super A » Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:16 pm

I expect there's a spec on each engine. Most IH diesels I'm familiar with ran pretty high RPMs. For example the later model 1066 with the DT-414 I believe ran around 2600 full load. Most JDs ran around 2200.

If you do good maintenance and keep it in spec as far as RPM and load it should run a long time.

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
"It ain't a !@*% A. It's a SUPER A!"

Shadow_storm56
Cub Star
Cub Star
Posts: 84
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:26 pm
Zip Code: B4V6X7

Re: Engine life vs rpm? Diesel engine

Postby Shadow_storm56 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:01 pm

Sofar all I notice is they get much louder at high rpms.... Obviously this is expected and they both burn a bit more oil at high rpm. Both are pretty Similar, burn no oil at low rpm and some at high rpm. Both have safety kills so oil pressure and engine temp cannot go outside of safe ranges since it just shuts the engine off at that point. For the number of hours they run and the age of the engines the oil burning is not excessive and one I still think leaks it out very slowly and it's hidden by the water leaked by the pumps graphite shaft seal, other one is a bit smokey so likely is burning oil some. Glad to hear that the increased rpm won't hurt my engine life, were in a drought here so these pump engines only get breaks long enough to move pipes around and back to work they go. Both engines have relatively low hours (3-4k) but both are quite old.

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Posts: 2459
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:44 pm
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184
Location: Oxford, MI

Re: Engine life vs rpm? Diesel engine

Postby outdoors4evr » Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:44 am

Constant running is the best case scenerio for an engine. Cold startups are the worst things for an engine as the oil pressure builds after the start.
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Posts: 4438
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2006 6:20 am
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D
Circle of Safety: Y
Location: OH West Mansfield

Re: Engine life vs rpm? Diesel engine

Postby Gary Dotson » Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:59 am

I think that as long as everything is running in harmony, higher RPM will not shorten the life expectancy and may extend it. Lugging them down is the most damaging on any engine, gas or diesel. In the past 30 - 40 years, farm equipment has transitioned to more powerful engines that get the job down with a power surplus, no more lugging, like we did our H's and M's.

Shadow_storm56
Cub Star
Cub Star
Posts: 84
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:26 pm
Zip Code: B4V6X7

Re: Engine life vs rpm? Diesel engine

Postby Shadow_storm56 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:06 am

outdoors4evr wrote:Constant running is the best case scenerio for an engine. Cold startups are the worst things for an engine as the oil pressure builds after the start.



It only runs during the growing season so they never get the cold winter startups.

Shadow_storm56
Cub Star
Cub Star
Posts: 84
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:26 pm
Zip Code: B4V6X7

Re: Engine life vs rpm? Diesel engine

Postby Shadow_storm56 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:09 am

Gary Dotson wrote:I think that as long as everything is running in harmony, higher RPM will not shorten the life expectancy and may extend it. Lugging them down is the most damaging on any engine, gas or diesel. In the past 30 - 40 years, farm equipment has transitioned to more powerful engines that get the job down with a power surplus, no more lugging, like we did our H's and M's.


Everything runs in Harmony except a small amount of oil gets in places it shouldn't and ends up as exhaust. Also was told though by many people and service techs that with the new enginees and their weird exhaust systems they do not want to be too underloaded or the system messes up. Not an issue for these old things though haha.

User avatar
tmays
10+ Years
10+ Years
Posts: 3041
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 8:59 pm
Zip Code: 39154
Tractors Owned: 1948 Allis Chalmers G
1947 Cub
1952 Cub
1940 Farmall H
154 Cub LoBoy
Location: Vicksburg, MS

Re: Engine life vs rpm? Diesel engine

Postby tmays » Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:21 pm

I used to construct irrigation systems(center pivot) years ago. Number one cause of total engine failure was not changing oil. Across all makes. JD, Cat, and Deutz and Cummins were the main choices for most farmers. The guys who did maintenance had no major problems.
Thomas

Shadow_storm56
Cub Star
Cub Star
Posts: 84
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:26 pm
Zip Code: B4V6X7

Re: Engine life vs rpm? Diesel engine

Postby Shadow_storm56 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:24 pm

tmays wrote:I used to construct irrigation systems(center pivot) years ago. Number one cause of total engine failure was not changing oil. Across all makes. JD, Cat, and Deutz and Cummins were the main choices for most farmers. The guys who did maintenance had no major problems.


I do matinance on everything, I can see why some really busy farmers could have trouble finding time because it can take a while to do your yearly matinance but still.

Heres my riddle that one engine gives me, "my oil goes away, but clear exhaust I do have, my compression is good so good rings I must have. If you run me under 2000 RPM I burn hardly a drop but you ramp me up to 2300 and my oil goes ...flop?" I thought a riddle would make it fun haha, I still have been trying to figure out for a couple years now why the perkins engine burns a fair bit of oil at rpms above 20-21 which I need around 23-2400 for big irrigation guns. I get the standard amout of vapor out the crank vent which gives a black spot over time because a small bit of oil mists out...but that wouldn't even amount to a cup in a year so it's not that. Like even from a distance whare it's much easier to see if exhaust is smokey it still is clear exhaust...no blue smoke no smoke at all. What makes even less sense is the fact I could run it at 20-2100 for like 200 hours and burn hardly any oil... Other pump burns some but it's smokey so it's not a mystery. Synthetic really helped it alot but it still loses oil at high rev, one day ill figure it out maybe.... It's a good thing I enjoy engines :)

Shadow_storm56
Cub Star
Cub Star
Posts: 84
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:26 pm
Zip Code: B4V6X7

Re: Engine life vs rpm? Diesel engine

Postby Shadow_storm56 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:32 pm

tmays wrote:I used to construct irrigation systems(center pivot) years ago. Number one cause of total engine failure was not changing oil. Across all makes. JD, Cat, and Deutz and Cummins were the main choices for most farmers. The guys who did maintenance had no major problems.


Speaking of irrigation how do you deal with pressure loss going up hill?. It's like 60-80ft for alot of the farm and 100 for the top of the hill according to gps, that's from water source to destination. Theres lots of stuff down on the flat too but the stuff on the hill I lose psi so bad.... like 50psi from pump to hill top...maybe more somtimes. Gotta run my rpm up alot when I'm watering up there, you ever work on a situation like that when you worked on irrigation?

User avatar
tmays
10+ Years
10+ Years
Posts: 3041
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 8:59 pm
Zip Code: 39154
Tractors Owned: 1948 Allis Chalmers G
1947 Cub
1952 Cub
1940 Farmall H
154 Cub LoBoy
Location: Vicksburg, MS

Re: Engine life vs rpm? Diesel engine

Postby tmays » Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:24 am

Shadow_storm56 wrote:
tmays wrote:I used to construct irrigation systems(center pivot) years ago. Number one cause of total engine failure was not changing oil. Across all makes. JD, Cat, and Deutz and Cummins were the main choices for most farmers. The guys who did maintenance had no major problems.


Speaking of irrigation how do you deal with pressure loss going up hill?. It's like 60-80ft for alot of the farm and 100 for the top of the hill according to gps, that's from water source to destination. Theres lots of stuff down on the flat too but the stuff on the hill I lose psi so bad.... like 50psi from pump to hill top...maybe more somtimes. Gotta run my rpm up alot when I'm watering up there, you ever work on a situation like that when you worked on irrigation?

Never worked with them in the hills, only in the MS Delta. But usually in that case the salesman should’ve suggested a larger engine. Pump heads factor into that also. Did they do a survey to include elevation?
Thomas

Shadow_storm56
Cub Star
Cub Star
Posts: 84
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:26 pm
Zip Code: B4V6X7

Re: Engine life vs rpm? Diesel engine

Postby Shadow_storm56 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:28 am

tmays wrote:
Shadow_storm56 wrote:
tmays wrote:I used to construct irrigation systems(center pivot) years ago. Number one cause of total engine failure was not changing oil. Across all makes. JD, Cat, and Deutz and Cummins were the main choices for most farmers. The guys who did maintenance had no major problems.


Speaking of irrigation how do you deal with pressure loss going up hill?. It's like 60-80ft for alot of the farm and 100 for the top of the hill according to gps, that's from water source to destination. Theres lots of stuff down on the flat too but the stuff on the hill I lose psi so bad.... like 50psi from pump to hill top...maybe more somtimes. Gotta run my rpm up alot when I'm watering up there, you ever work on a situation like that when you worked on irrigation?

Never worked with them in the hills, only in the MS Delta. But usually in that case the salesman should’ve suggested a larger engine. Pump heads factor into that also. Did they do a survey to include elevation?





Oh cool well yea we just bought a pump reccomended for the job, it'll do 150psi at 2400 or 2500 I can't remember. Problem is a gun works best at well over 100 psi and the hill makes that an issue.

seanthenry
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:15 pm
Zip Code: 41051
Tractors Owned: Cub Lo-Boy 154 1969
Cub Cadet 1000 series 2005
Kioti 3510 2018

Re: Engine life vs rpm? Diesel engine

Postby seanthenry » Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:30 am

Shadow_storm56 wrote:Speaking of irrigation how do you deal with pressure loss going up hill?


I have not tried this but it might work. Look for a pressure tank similar to what people have when they are on a well so they do not need to run the well pump just to get pressure. You would place the tank up hill and let it build pressure then turn on the irrigation system. I don't know if that would work or if it would just add a restriction and make it harder to pump but one of the suppliers could answer that for you.

Alternatively you could place a sealed tank up hill like an old water heater and run a second pump to build pressure. The main pump would move water up hill at say 30GPM to the tank and the second pump would pressurize up to the 100-150psi but only push 25-30GPM. The tank is just to prevent from running the pump dry.

With that said I do not run an irrigation system so this is all arm chair farming.

Shadow_storm56
Cub Star
Cub Star
Posts: 84
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:26 pm
Zip Code: B4V6X7

Re: Engine life vs rpm? Diesel engine

Postby Shadow_storm56 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:19 pm

seanthenry wrote:
Shadow_storm56 wrote:Speaking of irrigation how do you deal with pressure loss going up hill?


I have not tried this but it might work. Look for a pressure tank similar to what people have when they are on a well so they do not need to run the well pump just to get pressure. You would place the tank up hill and let it build pressure then turn on the irrigation system. I don't know if that would work or if it would just add a restriction and make it harder to pump but one of the suppliers could answer that for you.

Alternatively you could place a sealed tank up hill like an old water heater and run a second pump to build pressure. The main pump would move water up hill at say 30GPM to the tank and the second pump would pressurize up to the 100-150psi but only push 25-30GPM. The tank is just to prevent from running the pump dry.

With that said I do not run an irrigation system so this is all arm chair farming.



Haha It's a good ideas but were talking water flow rates of like ... 800-1200gpm. Different sort of setup haha but thanks for your input :)


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Other Tractors and Machinery”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest