This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Trailer wiring mystery

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Rick Prentice
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 43528
Tractors Owned: 47(circle cub),48(Floyd backhoe),49,,51,54 and another 55
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Trailer wiring mystery

Postby Rick Prentice » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:13 am

put some thin strips of aluminum foil on the pins to locate the problem pin. Something tells me its a fitment issue and when you plug it in it shifts one pin alittle and breaks contact.

I have faith in you Gary, you'll discover whats wrong.
When I told my dad I've been misplacing things and doing stupid stuff----His reply---"It only gets better"

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

CharlieK
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40165

Postby CharlieK » Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:57 am

can you use a regu;ar test light instead of a led one?
get er done; life is good

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:02 pm

I'm thinking down a path similar to what Rick said. There may be some minor production flaws or detail design difference in both the Silverado socket and the LED tester plug that makes them incompatible. For example, it could be something like a slightly short contact combined with a shoulder on one piece that prevents a full depth engagement. Since none of the LEDs lights, it seems likely to be a problem with the ground contact between the two parts.

I suppose you have already tried plugging the tester in, turning on something that should light it, then pushing in hard on the tester while wiggling it in various directions to see if you get a blink.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:38 pm

Gary, The missing ground I am referring to would be the truck connector, not the extension. I ran into that on my Ford Ranger, what should be the ground on the factory plug was blank, the ground had to dome from an external lead in the extension. The reason I came across that was The external lead in my extension was connected to a bolt that had become rusty. I spent about half a day chasing that.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

muleboss
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 66839

Postby muleboss » Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:34 pm

Gary. Take me back to the brake control. Does it light up with nothing hooked up. I have a2011 Silverado that when the trailer is not hooked up the lite on the control does not lite up. Maybe your connector needs more amp draw restriction to make led tester work.
Just shooting in the dark.

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:03 am

Yes, I have considered the pin issue. The issue is there with both the original and the replacement connector. I've certainly tried as you mention, Jim! Yes Charlie, I can and have used the non led test light, that's how I knew everything was actually working, but that's not the point. I have a bench test, in mind, that I'm going to do this morning. The original connector (that didn't light the tester) connected to my bench battery and see if it lights the tester, then. My next (on vehicle) test is to make up some leads, to connect to the pins inside the connector, the other end inserted into the tester. That will prove if, or not there is a pin issue. John, I already know there is a quality, 0 ohm ground present, and as I've mentioned, the trailer performs as it's supposed to. I'm hoping todays test will reveal that said ground is not reaching the tester. In my mind, nothing else could cause this. Muleboss, my Prodigy controller does light up a small led when no trailer is connected. It works properly and even so would not explain none of the tester functions working. But keep shootin in the dark, still lookin for the silver bullet. I'll let you guys know the result of today's testing.

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:11 am

O K, the bench test revealed the issue. Two minor details tripped me up! the first, is that the orientation of the connector is such that the trailer plug inserts upside down. The second detail, is that the guide on the tester, that should insure that it can only be plugged in correctly is near non-existent. If I plug it in upside down and view it with a mirror, it works fine! Boy, do I feel dumb! But in all fairness, who would have thought "A" that the connector would have been designed that way and "2" that the tester could even be plugged in upside down. Well, there had to be a logical explanation and there it is! Operator Error!!! It's too early to celebrate with a cold one but after a while! The good news is that I won't be waking in the middle of the night stewing over it.

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:26 pm

Glad you got it figured out, Gary.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Postby outdoors4evr » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:01 am

Wish I had read this sooner. Over the Christmas break I struggled with this issue with my trailer lights. I was using an adapter - 7 round to 4-flat (installed upside down). There is a key on the adapter, but the socket allows it to fully install with the key up or down.
https://www.autozone.com/trailer-wiring-and-electrical/vehicle-to-trailer-adapter-and-extension/hopkins-7-blade-to-4-flat-adapter/143545_0_0?cmpid=LIA:US:EN:AD:NL:1000000:GEN:71700000070781299&gclid=Cj0KCQiArvX_BRCyARIsAKsnTxOHeJkWCfD3uIlir0_bIkwyV2mv178zo3YwRa9ZJHN3hBy7I8vTuH0aAt-CEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

The right brake light and turn signal worked fine. The left brake light and turn signal would not work at all. The side marker lights would not work at all. After much connector cleaning, light disassembly, bulb checking, trailer ground cleanup, and frustration, I drove it to my destination. It took hours at my destination and got dark. While loading the trailer, I was wishing I had brought my spare magnetic lights to put on the trailer. On a whim, I pulled out the adapter, and tried to turn it over. Low and behold, it plugged in and my marker lights lit up.

Gotta find a way to label that darn adapter.
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:13 am

The connector on my truck is the one with the 7 pin and also the 4 pin flat. That same connector fits late model G.M., Ford and Ram pick-ups, it's hard to believe they designed it upside down. No problem with the trailer, the key would not allow it to insert wrong but I had to twist the cord around in an unusual manner. I was just figuring it was because it was cold and stiff. I added material to the key, on that tester, it won't fool me again. It's good to know I'm not the only one, though.

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:14 am

Paint a dot on the up side.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Rick Prentice
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 43528
Tractors Owned: 47(circle cub),48(Floyd backhoe),49,,51,54 and another 55

Postby Rick Prentice » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:14 am

A fitting problem for an "UPSIDE DOWN" year
When I told my dad I've been misplacing things and doing stupid stuff----His reply---"It only gets better"

Return to “Other Tractors and Machinery”