This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Need help identifying an old hay wagon

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Lt.Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 07727
Tractors Owned: 1 -'58 International Cub Lo-Boy
2 - '46 International A's
2 - '52 Farmall Cubs
1 - '53 Farmall Super A
1 - ‘41 Ford 9N with a ‘49 8N Engine
1 - ‘48 (5641) Allis Chalmers G

Need help identifying an old hay wagon

Postby Lt.Mike » Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:31 pm

We went to an auction yesterday with the intent of bringing home an older hay wagon.
Needless to say we were successful :{_}:
We were more interested in its look that its origin, something that would be a good match for my 40's and 50's Farmall's, A's Super A's, and Cub's.
The deck on this isn't huge and is a good fit for my tractors. I posted earlier yesterday a quick pic and Jim guessed it dated from the mid 30's to the mid 40's, maybe the 50's and that works well.
last night I googled it and found one made by International Harvester that looked very much like it. It was from the 30's and being IH it wouldn't be a better match for my collection! I went out this morning and gave it a good looking over. While the wheels look dead on the frame and steering spindles are different. I looked hard for casting marks but didn't find the IH I was looking for. On the front spindles there are two markings though, "I - WC" with "3 - WC" (or "3 - WG") on the opposite side.
Here are a group of pics. I'm hoping that maybe someone has one of these and can see right off what it is, who made it and approximately when.
I also noticed that when shaking the wheels the wheel bearings seemed loose. Not sure but are they supposed to be for these early year wagons?

Last edited by Lt.Mike on Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quote by Gary Pickeral I like
"If it can cast a shadow, it can be restored"

SamsFarm
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 44410
Tractors Owned: 1968 Cub Fast Hitch
LF-1 Platform Carrier
144 Cultivators
L-F194 Plow(s)
F38 Disk
L-F3 Spring Tooth Harrow
CS Bell No. 60 Grain Mill on a unmodified Fast Hitch Disk hitch prong
Home Made Fast Hitch Potato Plow
54A Blade

Couple 1948 Cubs
172 Runner Planter
53 Fertilizer
Cub-3 Field Cultivator
Cub-189 Two Way Plow
Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower
Mechanical Transplanter with side mount barrel (needs a fast hitch adapter) :)

Misc Belly Mowers

Wish List
International 100 Fast Hitch Blade
Mott Fast Hitch Flail Mower

Wish Wish Wish List
Fast Hitch Rotary Hoe
4E hammer mill

Re: New help Id-ing an old hay wagon

Postby SamsFarm » Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:57 pm

Sorry Mike, can not help you out there!

I understand if it is what you was after, but when I see spokes, I run! :lol:

I got 5 wagon gears, one of them I been thinking of doing as you did, posting for possible identification!

(I woulda attempted to buy the david bradley!)

Hopefully someone will point you in the right direction!

Have a Happy Easter!
1968 Cub Fast-Hitch

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: New help Id-ing an old hay wagon

Postby Jim Becker » Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:29 pm

The pictures didn't help me much. I do note that it is almost entirely put together with rivets, 30s or 40s, not likely 50s. Wheels were often bought from wheel companies, So, they usually don't tell much unless there is a logo stamped/cast into the hub cap. No such luck there. A lot of these early implements have plain wheel bearings (bushings). Some looseness, while not exactly normal is pretty common and not a serious problem. Take a hub cap off and see what you have. If it has plain bearings, there is probably still a provision for adjusting the slack. It will probably be crude by comparison to a roller or ball wheel bearing.

The orange color made me think of Allis-Chalmers. However, there were probably numerous companies that used orange paint. Case? New Idea?

Lt.Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
2 - '52 Farmall Cubs
1 - '53 Farmall Super A

Re: Need help identifying an old hay wagon

Postby Lt.Mike » Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:39 pm

Thanks Jim. I read that Farmall tractors took on an orange hue during the war years due to shortages and used what was available. Not saying that makes this an IH trailer but there was a lot going during those years for everyone in the business. I saw a photo of the bearings on another trailer and it’s nothing I’m used to dealing with.
I have to change one tire that’s shredded so I guess I’ll find out then. It’ll definitely be a new thing for me. I over heard the auctioneer say this trailer has “ **** “ wheels on it but I can’t Rene what he said. :roll: Should have asked when it was done but they made their way down the line.
And yes it is riveted and what is bolted the heads and nuts are square. Eventually I guess I’ll find a clue and be able to tell which company made it.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:45 pm

1936 Allis Chalmers tractors had spoked front and rear rims. 1937 the rims were stamped steel and the two halves welded together, cheaper and faster to manufacturer.

The spokes are welded to the rim on the running gear and the welding is not pretty.

I don't know the year of, or who manufactured of the running gear. My guess on the age is the 1930's.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:23 am

I have an old spoke wheel IH gear, there are a lot of differences. I have no idea what kind your wagon gear is but it's not likely IH. A lot of the old wagon gears used a straight caged roller bearing (think big needle bearing), some looseness (side play) is normal. I had one with a LOT of play, the spindle, wheel hub and all were trashed. I ended up fitting it with a large bronze bushing and no more pulling it on the road.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Jim Becker » Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:44 pm

Eugene wrote:. . . The spokes are welded to the rim on the running gear and the welding is not pretty. . . .

Note that, along with the poor welding, the spokes are all bent towards the center of the rim. It was no doubt changed over from steel wheels by cutting the spokes down and adding the rims.

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:59 am

I also noticed that a couple of the rims have safety beads, supporting Jim's observation, definitely not original to the running gear

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Jim Becker » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:17 am

Gary Dotson wrote:I also noticed that a couple of the rims have safety beads, . . .

I thought it looked that way too (the left rear), but I tried to ignore it. Maybe it was changed over some time in the distant past then a rim needed to be replaced later on. It also looks like some have the tire valve on the outside while others have it on the inside.

Lt.Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
2 - '52 Farmall Cubs
1 - '53 Farmall Super A

Postby Lt.Mike » Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:37 pm

Eugene wrote:1936 Allis Chalmers tractors had spoked front and rear rims. 1937 the rims were stamped steel and the two halves welded together, cheaper and faster to manufacturer.

The spokes are welded to the rim on the running gear and the welding is not pretty.

I don't know the year of, or who manufactured of the running gear. My guess on the age is the 1930's.

That describes the way the rims look pretty well.

Lt.Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
2 - '52 Farmall Cubs
1 - '53 Farmall Super A

Postby Lt.Mike » Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:44 pm

Jim Becker wrote:
Gary Dotson wrote:I also noticed that a couple of the rims have safety beads, . . .

I thought it looked that way too (the left rear), but I tried to ignore it. Maybe it was changed over some time in the distant past then a rim needed to be replaced later on. It also looks like some have the tire valve on the outside while others have it on the inside.

The left rear is different. It’s 15” while the others are 16”. It is also wider.

Indiana Steve
Zip Code: 47303

Postby Indiana Steve » Wed Oct 11, 2023 8:36 pm

Did you ever find any more info on your wagon? It look just like the one I got though Facebook Market place.