This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

4 hp Briggs starting problem

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

4 hp Briggs starting problem

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:12 pm

I have a tiller with an approximately 35 year old Briggs and Stratton engine on it. It is model 112212 type 0863. If you are fairly strong and can pull the starting rope pretty hard it will start ok, but I am old and have lost much of the strength n my arms and upper body due to arthritis, other health problems and age. If you cant pull it really hard, it kicks back bad. I have noticed that if I pull it slower I feel compression twice, one right after the other, I have never seen that in an engine before. It does not have any type of compression release, and I am stumped. Does anyone have an idea?
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Mht
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 27606
Tractors Owned: 1949 farmall cub(building from parts) 1950 farmall cub
1971 David Brown 880 selectamatic
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: 4 hp Briggs starting problem

Postby Mht » Sat Jul 03, 2021 4:15 am

I have seen a partially sheared flywheel key change the timing enough to cause a small engine to kick back. I had a troy bilt tiller with a tecumseh engine that had this happen and it would jerk the rope out of your hand if it fired but didn’t start. This doesn’t explain feeling compression twice when pulling the rope slowly though.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Jul 03, 2021 2:19 pm

I have replaced the flywheel key, also pulled the head and cleaned carbon, but there was very little build up. I am suspecting a faulty cam shaft. I noticed there were some cam kits available for that engine, which to me means there may have been a problem since that engine would be 35+ years old.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sat Jul 03, 2021 2:46 pm

I replace a 4 hp BS engine with a 6 HP Predator engine from Harbor Freight. Had to use the tiller at about 1/2 throttle to be able to control the tiller.

Harbor Freight has a 3 HP engine for $130-. That engine would probably work.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Pap
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 38401
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub ( Err Err )
I could not say tractor when I was 2 years old so I called it Err Err.

I loved this tractor then and I still love it now.

Postby Pap » Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:45 am

I agree with Eugene. It sounds like you might need to get a new engine. HF engines are hard to beat for the money.
Are We Having Fun Yet ? :D
'47 cub ( Err Err )