This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Kill switch

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
jdh
Zip Code: 84101

Kill switch

Postby jdh » Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:36 pm

Morning gents. Bought a knob turn kill switch for my Ford 8N, the pic on the package shows connecting it to the negative terminal, but I'm curious if that would be different with a 6v negative ground. Also curious how many here disconnect a terminal on tractors not in use often. Thanks all.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Kill switch

Postby Don McCombs » Wed Apr 06, 2022 3:26 pm

jdh wrote:Also curious how many here disconnect a terminal on tractors not in use often.

I prefer to use a battery maintainer on batteries in that situation. If the equipment is not going to be used for an extended period, I remove the battery and store in a cool, dry place with a maintainer connected.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Postby ricky racer » Wed Apr 06, 2022 3:52 pm

Another vote for a battery maintainer. It's the best way to extend battery life.
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:15 pm

DC systems, the electron flow is from negative to positive. You can place the disconnect switch on either 6 or 12 Volt systems. Negative battery terminal/cable preferred.

I have a battery disconnect terminal on a 610 Bobcat skid steer. I also manually disconnect the battery from the 154 Low-Boy during mowing season. Like Ricky, I remove batteries when the tractors are not going to be used for a lengthy time period and place on battery maintainers.
I have an excuse. CRS.

jdh
Zip Code: 84101

Postby jdh » Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:57 pm

Thanks for the help guys!

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:38 pm

The posts on a battery are not the same size. If your switch is one that clamps directly on a battery post, put it on the one it fits best. Since they illustrated it on the negative, that will probably be the right answer. Customarily, batteries are disconnected by taking the ground off, whether by removing the cable or opening a switch. Ultimately, a circuit is either a closed loop and is functioning or it is open and nothing is happening. The battery won't know or care where the circuit is open.

I use maintainers. I typically don't bother to unhook the battery and remove it from the tractor. I don't have a battery storage place that is much better than where my tractors are stored. The maintainer can keep up with whatever leakage there is in the tractor wiring.

Return to “Other Tractors and Machinery”