This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Massey-Harris Pony

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Dan England
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 71770

Postby Dan England » Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:08 am

Thanks, Ike. I am hoping that I will find the missing panels but will keep the name in case I don't. Dan

Dan England
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Dan England » Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:14 pm

I have been wondering about the lack of floor pans on the Pony. Several folks responded to my question on the YT board saying that their Ponys also lack the pans. It is their suggestion that a common use of the Pony, like that of the Cub, was cultivation of relatively small farming plots. Cultivision in Cubs gave the operator an excellent view of the positions of the shovels relative to that of the plants being cultivated. Absence of floor pans in the Pony gave the operator an equally good view. Two ways to skin a cat, I suppose. Dan

brianJ
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: k0e1k0

Postby brianJ » Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:28 am

There is usually a pair of side panels for sale on ebay but not today. There currently is a muffler on there

http://cgi.ebay.com/Massey-Harris-Tract ... dZViewItem

Nice find there. I always liked the Pony. I like the styling and the Canadian Connection because they rolled out of a plant about 4 hours west of here.
Brian
Go Sens Go!!!
'48 Cub slowly being stripped of dignity...
'49 Cub
'49 Cub
'50 Demo Cub
'61 Cub
172 Runner Planter
193 Plow
23A Disks
22 Mower
144 Cultivators
54A Grader Blade
No. 5A Potato Digger
JD 'R' Spreader
JD 111 Lawn Tractors

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:06 am

Dan:

Dan England wrote:I need info from anyone who is familiar with the Pony. Mine is missing side panels which would enclose the compartment beneath the tool box where the battery and starter are located. A picture of the Pony on the YT board shows these to be present so I assume that mine had them at one time. A more puzzling problem is the lack of floor pans on which the drivers feet should rest. There is a ten by thirteen inch opening on each side. A narrow two inch metal strip to the outside of each opening could serve as a foot rest or they could be placed on the brake and clutch rods beneath these openings. There are no holes in the metal surrounding the openings to show where floor pans were once bolted down? Did Ponys come from the factory without floor pans? I have started on clean-up and have removed about 37 pounds of gray gumbo mud. Looks like concrete but is much softer. I still have a ways to go on that project. The carb has a leak so new gaskets needed there. The exhaust pipe extends about sixteen inches above the hood and is capped by what appears to be a round lawnmower muffler. That is going to have to go as there is no way to install a rain cap. I believe that the family representative has gone back to his home in Houston. However, I know the folks who managed the sale so they can probably get permission for me to go back and search for the missing panels. Dan

I will try to get the Owner's Manual up asap.. after working on the pole barn.. maybe try to get a few pages scanned tonight. But I do know this.. yes there are panels for the deck and they come standard..

Oh.. I also btw have a Marvel Schleber carb for the Pony. It used to be on Granny.. let me know ifn you may have use for it. It is in good shape, just needs a little TLC as in a minor rebuild as a result of ageing.

Also, David Chown would have access to original Pony parts.. they have one or two Pony's in stock at the moment I think.. at least they were a few weeks ago.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Dan England
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Dan England » Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:01 am

Brian: Thanks for the heads-up on the side panels. I am going to contact a relative of the deceased owner of the Pony and arrange to go to the storage shed to see if they may be there. Rudi: Two manuals came with the Pony. (A.) Massey-Harris Pony Tractor---Operating and Servicing Instructions,Massey-Harris Production and (B.) A Service Manual for Massey Harris, Massey Ferguson. This one from Jensales. The print is good, pics need improvement. I will be interested in seeing your manual if different from these two. Also, I can provide copies for the manual site. I sent a pm on the carb. Dan

Dan England
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Dan England » Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:17 pm

Today I met with the brother of the deceased previous owner of the MH Pony. We did a thorough search of the buildings but never located the missing side panels. During our search he mentioned that he has a couple of Cubs. I went by his house to see them. An early Cub, no paint left on it, converted to 12 volt with a swinging door cut into it to access the alternator. The owner said that motor is free but I couldn't turn it by use of fan belt. Had a pretty decent 42inch IH belly mower. Said Cub last ran three years ago. Five hundred dollars for Cub and mower. Also had a y&w Cub which appeared to be in good shape. I don't know whether it was for sale. Just never know when you are going to run onto Cubs, often, like today, when one isn't looking for them. Dan

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:54 am

Dan:

Got the PM and the emails.. yes, I would like to see the manuals as well.. and yes on the carb.. the email is on the puter downstairs.. so I will get to it sometime tomorrow. Read it, it is just late .. very very late

Good Luck ok... prayers are with you on the journey (+)
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Denny Clayton
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45365
Tractors Owned: Home to "Rusty", the 2007 and 2009 Cub Tug Champion.

Postby Denny Clayton » Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:47 pm

Dan, for $500 you took it home, didn't you :?: :shock:
'61 Lo-Boy
'60 FH Lo-Boy
'60 Lo-Boy
'57 FH Cub "Rusty" (CubTug winner 2007 & 2009)
Member of Ohio Chapter 6
Circle of Safety

Dan England
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Dan England » Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:14 pm

Nope, Denny, I didn't go over to buy, just to look. I bought a Cub and the Pony in the last six weeks. No more Cub money until I sell some. Since I didn't go to buy, I just gave it a quick look over. But the mower looked good and if it is, it would probably go for $200 if cleaned and painted. Maybe $225 with the PTO pulley. That makes a very inexpensive Cub. He says the motor is free and he would put a battery in to turn it with the starter. I pulled the fan belt and it just slipped on the pulley. Since I wasn't buying I didn't have him do that. But the motor probably isn't frozen. I have no interest in buying the Cub so if anyone on the forum is interested I will provide a name and phone number. Dan

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15101
eBay ID: lacrosseorgans
Skype Name: Mike.Hengelsberg
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Merlin"
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow

Postby Hengy » Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:33 pm

WOW... another one that I wish I had the cash for and was closer to. I think I need to move further east or further south (or both!!) I don't need a mower, but sure would love another cub (the first one isn't even finished yet!)

Mike in La Crosse, WI
Mike (Happy as a Lark in Allison Park, PA)
Image Image

Check out my Restoration Thread (1955 Cub, Lewis)

trac48
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: J7Z1B7

Postby trac48 » Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:39 pm

Dan I have been driving back and fort in front of a restored Poney for 2 weeks now and never had time to stop ...but like you said time is short,for us Image

So maybe I should stop nex saturday on my way to pickup a cadet,and see what hapens :lol: :lol: :lol:

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:50 am

Dan super deal and a great wife, I to am blessed with that type of wife
Good luck with the pony
David
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

Dan England
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Dan England » Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:10 am

Thanks, David. I agree on both the deal and the wife. Perhaps we just got lucky but I like to think that both you and I deserve outstanding and understanding wives. Dan
Last edited by Dan England on Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:27 am

As the wise man, Billy Ray has said in the past "we all married up" :wink:
8)

Dan England
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Dan England » Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:22 pm

Donny: Janie agrees that Billy Ray is a wise man. I'm not sure what that suggests about her opinion of David, you and me. I am going to assume that she also thinks we are wise since we were smart enough to marry above our level in society. Sometimes it is better to assume than to ask the wife to explain what she meant. This is one of those times. Dan