This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Wood splitter?

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:25 pm

Frank that is absolutely ingenious. Splits 1 way and then splits on the way back.
Then to add to it there is the shelf to hold the split for the second split. Though i do have two thoughts on the shelf. You have to pitch each piece off. Of course you could toss it into a trailer or on to the pile. That is a plus. Yet on the other hand mine fall off and after a while i have a shelf of split pieces that I use as a ramp to roll big pieces up to be split. As the pile gets bigger the split piece hits the pile and pushes the splitter back a bit to make more room.
I am really impressed with your splitter.
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:48 pm

I have 2 screens open so I can look at the splitter and type at the same time. From what I see the box beam with the wedge in it moves and the yellow shelves don't move. Is the cylinder inside the box beam? Do you have any wear plates?
My Lickety Splitter has brass wear plates. I replaced them once but they are shot again and I understand the company is out of business.
I am enthralled with your splitter.
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:33 pm

Junkman: Where did you pick up the heart of the splitter - the carriage? It has a JI Case ID tag on it.
I have an excuse. CRS.

junkman1946
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby junkman1946 » Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:36 pm

The splitterhas no wear plates that I can find. The inner carriage just moves along inside the beam. I have not seen any wear in any part. The cylinder is attached pretty solid, and it seems to function like a beam sliding inside another beam, The yellow part is factory made J.I.Case model 34, originally driven off the hydraulic P.T.O. of a Case 446 garden tractor. As near as Anyone can figure the original pump delivered in the neighborhood of 7.5 g.p.m. It really takes 2 people to operate this thing to its full potential. One loading and one unloading, plus operating the lever. We never timed it but it will make a cord of wood dissappear mighty fast. Thanks Again to Bigdog. Frank
1948 Cub F,1962 Original,1971 C.C.model86, WheelHorse and C.C. mini pulling tractors, C.C. models1450 , 682,106,123, Ariens GT17 with loader,Jacobsen Powermax loader and backhoe 8 more Cub Cadets in the shed waiting to go under the knife and spray gun.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:52 pm

That splits in both directions thats a great idea. I'm in the process of planning my new log splitter. My last one I built lasted for over 25+ years that i built. I wore out the I beam. I have a choice of I & H beams now. I was thinking of using a 5" bore X 24" stroke with a 2" shaft cylinder and a 22gpm pump with a double detent valve so i have more hands free time. I want to add a loader arm too for the bigger stuff because i'm not getting any younger plus my sons will help too.

My problem is now which tractor to hook it up too. I was thinking of trailering it with a cub cadet and mounting the hydraulic pump on the cadet flywheel pulley. I will keep it hooked up to this tractor.

The 22gpm two stage pump is the key to speed. The ram in free movement moves at 500psi @ 22gpm thats really quick. Then i believe when the second stage kicks in when splitting its 3gpm @ 3,000psi. Some of these pumps do differ on the second stage.

My first log splitter would actually cut a 8" log in half on the knife thats the key to how good your splitter is working.

I believe i need at least a 14hp engine with the 22gpm pump. I know its going to cost more this time but i want speed and more splitting power over my last one.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

junkman1946
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby junkman1946 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:44 pm

Bill Just for comparison my splitter thats pictured previously has an 11g.p.m. 2 stage pump with a 5 horse motor, that never goes above 1/2 throttle and I cut a pine log in half during the initial testing. Mashed would be a more appropriate term. Frank
1948 Cub F,1962 Original,1971 C.C.model86, WheelHorse and C.C. mini pulling tractors, C.C. models1450 , 682,106,123, Ariens GT17 with loader,Jacobsen Powermax loader and backhoe 8 more Cub Cadets in the shed waiting to go under the knife and spray gun.

TOOLMAN
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 90210

Postby TOOLMAN » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:05 pm

Im trying to build a splitter also
I just want a plain ole one way splitter
Whats a good ram size for a 11gpm pump and a 5 hp engine
I am concerned about the length and where to put the cutting blade
How long should cylinder be and how close to the wedge should it stop at wide open cylinder
Thanks
3969 Members

1954 Cub quick hitch /Plow
1947 Ford 2N
1948 Green Machine Model M (i know)
Knowledge Is Power
and Power is Knowledge
"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten."

Return to “Other Tractors and Machinery”