Got a new farm jack

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
DanR
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 37743
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Got a new farm jack

Postby DanR » Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:43 am

We called them a Handy Man jack. It was used mainly for stretching fence wire.
47 Cub (Glenda)
52 Super A
62 Cub (Genie)
43 H
42 M
In all things know which way the wind is blowing.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:16 am

Returning form a tractor trip I pulled into a station to get gas, and wen I got out of the truck I noticed a trailer tire going flat. so i started the gas running and grabbed my Hi-Lift jack and put under the trailer. Then began changing the tire. As I was finishing fueling up, another customer pulled in so close I could not operate the handle to lower it. I waited while he fueled up, then went inside, bought some refreshments, and visited with several people.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

LiL' Red
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61423
eBay ID: woodpecker56

Postby LiL' Red » Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:13 pm

I've seen too many bad things happen when using Handyman jacks to have any trust in them. I hold them in the same regard as I do our Governor!

Smiley
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 13357
Tractors Owned: 154 Lo boy
Allis Chalmers B
IH 350 utility
Case 580 backhoe
Massey Ferg 399 4wd
Farmall A
Have had several other antique tractors including a Fordson with Trackson conversion.

Postby Smiley » Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:59 pm

At one paving outfit I worked for The owner jacked up the front of one of our small pavers with one and wanted the mechanic to go under to repair whatever was wrong with it, into an area that had a maximum of about 6 " clearance. I said are you ##%**@ nuts Jimmy. Just about that time it shifted and dropped like the 10 tons of steel that it was. Needless to say we rounded up blocking and jacked it up again.
As others have said, they are inherently unstable and need to be used with extreme caution, but as someone else said, are great for jacking up, to tip yourself sideways out of mudholes.
Smiley
smiley - upstate NY --- Git r done
Learned fixin and tinkerin from my Father and scavenging from my buddies grandfather, who could go to the dump with a half load and come back with a full one

Paul B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40218

Postby Paul B » Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:48 pm

I would also consider the material the less expensive one are made from. If you read the "fine print", you can find the jacks with the main beam made out of cast iron, cast steel, and forged steel, with most of the less expensive ones being cast. I have one that came from TSC many years ago that has been used mainly to pull fence post or to clamp or spread something (until the top "fitting" broke), because I don't trust it to try and lift anything else very high. They may have their uses, but they are, very unstable.

Garland Terry
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Garland Terry » Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:24 pm

A word from the steernurse: The Hi Lift Jack is an inheritly unstable tool. They are dangerous,prone to fall over, slapping the user up-side-the-head, and have the nasty habit of pinching off the end of your finger when releasing the catch. And unfortunatly "as handy as a shirt pocket"! In my 20 odd years as an ED Nurse I have seen many injuries from this particular tool. My personal favorite was the one where the victim was using the jack along with an A frame to pull a 350 out of his pickup. However if you lube the works EVERYTIME YOU USE IT!! and slap the release down with your CEE TEEs or a hammer instead of your fingers you wiil be fine. I own 3 or 4 by the way. I hope Santy was good to you. GT :D

jostev
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 03574
eBay ID: farmallkid48
Skype Name: farmall_kid
Tractors Owned: 41 B
48 H
49 C
50 red demo Cub
51 C
52 Cub
54 Super C
61 and 63 Cub Cadet Originals
78 Cub Cadet 1450
73 154 lo-boy

Postby jostev » Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:13 am

personally I dont' think they are that dangerous, IF you use some common sense, which is not so common anymore... i see alot of bad things happen because people don't use common sense, they just do it, and than dang, something bad happened, oh well i'll just do it again, untill something/somebody breaks. they aren't meant to do everything, just certain things. and if you get slapped in the head or face... with the handle, you probably shouldn't do what you just did with it :lol: been there done that, it does hurt, but I learned my lesson :{_}: i will admit, i have done some stupid stuff with mine, but never put myself in danger, if the tractor falls off the jack, it's just gonna hit the ground, i dont' get under it or somewhere where it could fall on me/my foot or anything...using common sense can save yourself alot of pain.

Johnny

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:29 pm

jostev wrote:they aren't meant to do everything, just certain things. and if you get slapped in the head or face... with the handle, you probably shouldn't do what you just did with it :lol: been there done that, it does hurt, but I learned my lesson :{_}: Johnny

Very Smoooooooth ......... :!: :roll: NOT! :D Bet that smart :censored: didn't it :( :oops:

Try to be more careful my young friend.. pain is NOT your friend. :big say what: ask me..... :big give up:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

red56turbo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 52742
Tractors Owned: Check out my signature!

Postby red56turbo » Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:19 am

Sounds like a nice jack Big Bill.

Red56
Tractors in the stable: '62 560D Cub Cadets in the stable: 782D, 1572 SGT, 1772 SGT, 1782 SGT

fodman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 71743
Tractors Owned: 1977 Cub s/n 251850 1947 A S/N 200229

Postby fodman » Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:35 am

they are known as a widow maker's jack in my area. i have seen them slip and fall many times. they have probably killed more people than any other type of jack in the world. a buddy of mine let the handle slip and it hit him under the jaw, dislocated it on both sides. his lower jaw teeth was tuching the tip of his nose, took over an hour to get him the hospital . he did look kind of funny tho.....they do work but you put your life on the line every time you use it. just my 2 cents
1977 Cub S/N 251850 1947 A S/N 200229

Bigdog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:08 pm

fodman - I agree. The older ones were better made than these imports and they were dangerous enough. I shudder to think what the import stuff is like.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:51 pm

I hope I dont offend anyone and if I do I am sorry. But there are a lot of folks they do not need to try to use one of these jacks
they are dangerous at best. And from the questions I read and answer on the forum, some need supervision operating a jack of this type. And as has been said the ones that were made good are dangerous enough not to mention the cheap import ones.
David
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

grumpy
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 15522

Postby grumpy » Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:38 pm

David Bennett wrote:I hope I dont offend anyone and if I do I am sorry. But there are a lot of folks they do not need to try to use one of these jacks
they are dangerous at best. And from the questions I read and answer on the forum, some need supervision operating a jack of this type. And as has been said the ones that were made good are dangerous enough not to mention the cheap import ones.
David

Thats why I'm giving mine to Lurker Carl :{_}: :| Grump
David Dee Mock-Leonard

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Some days it's not worth chewing through the restraints

Miss Farmall
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 30102
eBay ID: staasee
Tractors Owned: no Cub : (

Postby Miss Farmall » Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:54 pm

poor Carl
Just call me coconut... Blonde on the inside!
I'd suggest you just stop talking and walk away lest I forget I was raised to be a lady.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:43 am

With any jack remember to block it up too. I like to use jack stands and wooden blocks too when jacking it up to climb underneath it. Its much safer that way that i don't trust any mechanical or hydraulic jacks.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.