This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Samson Model M's

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Urbish
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48158
Tractors Owned: ~
1958 International Cub LoBoy
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B
2022 Massey Ferguson GC1723E Subcompact

Cub Loboy L-54 Leveling and Grader Blade
Circle of Safety: Y

Samson Model M's

Postby Urbish » Thu May 25, 2017 12:14 pm

I'm going to try to get these Samson Model M's running this weekend after they've been sitting for who knows how long. One's a 1919 and the other's a 1920. I have a lot of little grease cups and oilers to go over before I even turn the cranks.
Attachments
1433240565378.JPG
Jim

Circle of Safety

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Slim140
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: .
1970 International 140
1972 International 140
1949 John Deere A
1993 Ford 4630 W/Loader
1965 John Deere 110
1961 Cub Cadet Original

Re: Samson Model M's

Postby Slim140 » Thu May 25, 2017 12:35 pm

Don't forget to turn on the gas.
Every home is a school, what are you teaching?

Circle of Safety

Urbish
10+ Years
10+ Years
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B

Postby Urbish » Thu May 25, 2017 12:42 pm

Chipmaker wrote:Don't forget to turn on the gas.

I am planning to rig up my pony tank in the likely event that the gas won't turn on
Jim

Circle of Safety

Slim140
5+ Years
5+ Years
1970 International 140
1972 International 140
1949 John Deere A
1993 Ford 4630 W/Loader
1965 John Deere 110
1961 Cub Cadet Original

Postby Slim140 » Thu May 25, 2017 12:49 pm

I was speaking from the school of hard knocks, lol. You work on something like this and you have so much on your mind you forget that one simple thing, lol. I've also told myself something has gas in it and it won't crank only to find out it is empty. Like Billy Bob said about that tiller "It ain't got no gas in it".

Circle of Safety

Urbish
10+ Years
10+ Years
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B

Postby Urbish » Thu May 25, 2017 1:49 pm

Chipmaker wrote:I was speaking from the school of hard knocks, lol. You work on something like this and you have so much on your mind you forget that one simple thing, lol. I've also told myself something has gas in it and it won't crank only to find out it is empty. Like Billy Bob said about that tiller "It ain't got no gas in it".

:thumbsup:
Jim

Circle of Safety

Slim140
5+ Years
5+ Years
1970 International 140
1972 International 140
1949 John Deere A
1993 Ford 4630 W/Loader
1965 John Deere 110
1961 Cub Cadet Original

Postby Slim140 » Thu May 25, 2017 1:56 pm

Are they yours or you going to work on them for someone else?

Circle of Safety

Urbish
10+ Years
10+ Years
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B

Postby Urbish » Thu May 25, 2017 2:18 pm

Chipmaker wrote:Are they yours or you going to work on them for someone else?

They belong to my father-in-law.
Jim

Circle of Safety

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Postby ricky racer » Fri May 26, 2017 4:40 am

Very cool!!!! Keep us posted!!!
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri May 26, 2017 10:05 am

Urbish wrote:
Chipmaker wrote:I was speaking from the school of hard knocks, lol. You work on something like this and you have so much on your mind you forget that one simple thing, lol. I've also told myself something has gas in it and it won't crank only to find out it is empty. Like Billy Bob said about that tiller "It ain't got no gas in it".

A neighbor in his 80s I was friends with and helped out when he needed it called me one day for help getting one of his cubs started that he hadn't used in several months. When I got there, knowing he always tunred the fuel off I asked him if I needed to turn the gas on before we tried to start it. The expression on his face answered my question. :lol: It started right up!

Of course I have to tell one on myself. At Cubarama one day we were getting ready for the parade, and I had Cub Bud's son who was about 5 or 6 at the time was riding on my lap, and I drove through the parking lot and started down the road when my cub died. I glanced at the spectators and saw one I knew was familiar with cubs and yelled "Would you mind turning my gas on!" :oops:
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Urbish
10+ Years
10+ Years
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B

Postby Urbish » Fri May 26, 2017 10:20 am

Rest assured guys, I'll remember to turn the gas on. I've been studying the reprinted manual for this to make sure I don't miss anything. Parts for these are very difficult to find and I don't want to be the one to roach a bearing or something.

Interestingly (or perhaps not so for a machine of this vintage), the engine oil is fed to the bearings via external lines. There is no oil pressure gauge. The proper procedure for checking oil pressure is to open a petcock near the oil pump while the engine is running and verify that "oil shoots out a considerable distance". The book also recommends draining the engine oil and water nightly and bringing it inside to ensure easy starting in the morning during the winter. My, how things have changed over the last 100 years.
Jim

Circle of Safety

Slim140
5+ Years
5+ Years
1970 International 140
1972 International 140
1949 John Deere A
1993 Ford 4630 W/Loader
1965 John Deere 110
1961 Cub Cadet Original

Postby Slim140 » Fri May 26, 2017 10:44 am

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:
Urbish wrote:

A neighbor in his 80s I was friends with and helped out when he needed it called me one day for help getting one of his cubs started that he hadn't used in several months. When I got there, knowing he always tunred the fuel off I asked him if I needed to turn the gas on before we tried to start it. The expression on his face answered my question. :lol: It started right up!

Of course I have to tell one on myself. At Cubarama one day we were getting ready for the parade, and I had Cub Bud's son who was about 5 or 6 at the time was riding on my lap, and I drove through the parking lot and started down the road when my cub died. I glanced at the spectators and saw one I knew was familiar with cubs and yelled "Would you mind turning my gas on!" :oops:

The John Deere H I had I always ran it on the small tank (it was all fuel and had a small tank for gas and a large tank for kerosene) it only held 7/8 of a gallon. I was going to drive it to my house from my parents about 3 miles and ask my dad to follow me to bring me back to get my truck. He ask me "does it have gas in it?" I said yes dad, it has gas in it. I got about 1/2 a mile from their house and guess what, it ran out of gas. It would run about 45 minutes on 7/8 of a gallon. I hooked a strap to it and got him to pull me to my house in the parade of shame :lol:

I got one more, last year I traded for a J.D. 730 diesel and went to get it with the Duramax, my fuel gauge was broke so I kept up with my mileage and knew we had enough to get there and back. I didn't plan on blowing a trailer tire that 95 degree day and having to change it on the side of the interstate while the wife and kids sat in the truck with the A/C on. I got it changed, got home that Saturday evening the proud new owner of the 730 and all was well. I got up to come to work Monday morning still jacked up on 730ness and didn't even think about diesel because after all by mileage I still had fuel, right? WRONG. I didn't think about the weight of the tractor and trailer killing my mileage and sitting on the side of the interstate for an hour with the A/C on and truck not accumulating miles. I ran the ole Duramax out of fuel guess where? Right smack dab in front of...............a large gas station but I was in the road in the turning lane with no help to push so I called.............my dad and ask him to bring me 5 gallons of diesel. 2 people I know stopped and ask was I okay, I had the hood up and told them yes, I have help coming. I was to ashamed to tell them that I was out of fuel in front of a store. I ponied up and bought a new sending unit and fixed the fuel gauge.

Sorry to derail your thread.

Circle of Safety

Urbish
10+ Years
10+ Years
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B

Postby Urbish » Fri May 26, 2017 11:49 am

Chipmaker wrote:
John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:
Urbish wrote: :thumbsup:

The John Deere H I had I always ran it on the small tank (it was all fuel and had a small tank for gas and a large tank for kerosene) it only held 7/8 of a gallon. I was going to drive it to my house from my parents about 3 miles and ask my dad to follow me to bring me back to get my truck. He ask me "does it have gas in it?" I said yes dad, it has gas in it. I got about 1/2 a mile from their house and guess what, it ran out of gas. It would run about 45 minutes on 7/8 of a gallon. I hooked a strap to it and got him to pull me to my house in the parade of shame :lol:

I got one more, last year I traded for a J.D. 730 diesel and went to get it with the Duramax, my fuel gauge was broke so I kept up with my mileage and knew we had enough to get there and back. I didn't plan on blowing a trailer tire that 95 degree day and having to change it on the side of the interstate while the wife and kids sat in the truck with the A/C on. I got it changed, got home that Saturday evening the proud new owner of the 730 and all was well. I got up to come to work Monday morning still jacked up on 730ness and didn't even think about diesel because after all by mileage I still had fuel, right? WRONG. I didn't think about the weight of the tractor and trailer killing my mileage and sitting on the side of the interstate for an hour with the A/C on and truck not accumulating miles. I ran the ole Duramax out of fuel guess where? Right smack dab in front of...............a large gas station but I was in the road in the turning lane with no help to push so I called.............my dad and ask him to bring me 5 gallons of diesel. 2 people I know stopped and ask was I okay, I had the hood up and told them yes, I have help coming. I was to ashamed to tell them that I was out of fuel in front of a store. I ponied up and bought a new sending unit and fixed the fuel gauge.

Sorry to derail your thread.

Haha, no worries. Entertaining stories are always welcome.

I have one of my own. I was in high school and was driving a 1972 Chrysler Newport which also lacked a functioning fuel gauge which required me to keep track with the trip odometer. After school one day, I was headed for the gas station and made it to the road out in front of the steep uphill driveway behind the gas station when the old 400 cu in V8 shuddered and quit. I tried restarting but it was clearly out of fuel. I got out and started pushing but had no idea how I was going to push the 4500# car up that hill. I had it moving pretty good as I hit the incline, pushing with all I had on the A-pillar and steering the wheel through the open window. Just as I, myself, was just about to run out of gas in this endeavor, I heard a car door slam behind me. It was none other than my 67 year old grandfather who had debilitating stroke 12 years earlier and had to walk with a cane. Without saying a word, he threw his cane down to the curb and latched onto the massive rear chrome bumper with his big meat hooks. After we got it to the pumps, he shuffled slowly back to where he tossed his cane, scooped it up with a grunt, and took off.
Jim

Circle of Safety

Urbish
10+ Years
10+ Years
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B

Postby Urbish » Sat May 27, 2017 8:39 pm

First run with assistance from the BF Avery A

Running on its own:

Need to do some tuning Monday, then it is drive time.
Jim

Circle of Safety

pickerandsinger
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 13143
Tractors Owned: 1957 Cub Low Boy w/ FH Mott Flail Mower
1953 Cub w/ sprayer and 54A blade (Chompers)
1954 Cub w/fast hitch (Ira)
1948 Cub ( Papa Paul)with Henderson loader..
1951 Mutt mix Cub (BattleAx
1950 Farmall Cub (basket case demo)
Cub parts tractor
2019 " KuB"ota 2601 loader and roto tiller
1951 Ferguson TEA 20 (parts)( Uncle Rusty)
F/H Disc Harrow for cub L-38
C-22 Sickle Bar Mower
IH C2 and C3 mower
Universal tool attachment with disc hillers..Rear cultivators (various tips
York Rake for Cub home made
Single bottom Plow for Cub F194
Gravely 5660 12 hp/ w snoblower.rototiller,bush hog

Postby pickerandsinger » Sun May 28, 2017 5:10 am

Now thats a nice tractor for sure....Dave
In Memory of 58,286