This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Got a three point Implement question

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
pokitisme
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 64132
Skype Name: Pokitisme
Tractors Owned: 1948 international Harvester Farmall h

Got a three point Implement question

Postby pokitisme » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:23 am

First off tell me if this is a good deal. For about $230 I plan on getting a 5-foot brush hog that has no rear wheel. A 8-foot blade. Which apparently has the ability to spin all the way around. and a one way I believe rear facing dirt scoop with a little bit of rust in Holes about 5 in from the edge of the dirt scoop. And possibly a trailer hitch LOL for about two hundred thirty bucks.

I figured I should add this as well the 8-foot blade was actually a 6-foot blade and the guy welded on two pieces of diamond plate one on each end making it now and 8-foot blade. It's been sitting in his yard for years and probably has some movement issues it does have a bolt that locks each individual position into place.

The dirt scoop as far as I can tell with my limited dirt scoop knowledge is a rear-facing dirt scoop only. About 5 inches from the edge of the dirt scoop there are various rusted holes pretty small maybe the width of a pin or pencil maybe about 5 or 6. I did not research it too much cuz I saw the rust and thought for 25 bucks it was a bad deal LOL

Now here's the question. Brush hog is of a model and make I don't know because I didn't have time to look. The problem I have is it's missing the rear wheel a single Center wheel it neither has the wheel or the bar that would raise it up and down attached to the brush hog. The guy did test it for me and he did lift it so I could look .underneath. Looks like there might be some fluid leakage underneath around the gearbox what I mean by that is there was a kind of moisture spots surrounding that. One of the blades was frozen in place but I think if I hit it a few times it will loosen it so it can swing freely. It's been sitting in the guy's yard according to him for at least a year he bought it off of an auction or something like that. By the way this guy is going to give me one of those huge tires specifically designed for brush Hogs and a mount which does not fit this. And I think I might be able to get more stuff from him. so if I was to weld a tire on there and possibly create a leveling bar do you think that would work and besides that $100 brush hog that has been tested and does run does that sound like a good idea. LOL..

Also the guy is giving me a huge steel bar which is cylindrical. Meaning it's a very heavy steel bar much like what you would use for fencing except it's much thicker and stronger. He's going to give me that and a wheel and a mount off of some other tractor. I could probably get him to give me more stuff as well so for 230 bucks he plans on giving me one brush hog 1/8 foot blade 1 dirt scoop and one trailer hitch with trailer hitch bar also huge metal bar for possible welding big ass wheel and mount for the brush hog. So I just want to know what everybody's opinion is on this I'm going to be picking the stuff up Wednesday. By the way I have a 1948 Farmall H with 3-point.
Favorite quotes by me. If you want to you can but if you don't you wont... most possibly yes but maybe no.... and as always buy guns keep America free

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Re: Got a three point Implement question

Postby outdoors4evr » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:21 am

The 3-point scoops are handy. They hold about a wheelbarrow's volume of dirt.

As for the 8' blade, I'd sawzall off those extra 2 feet. Pretty sure it used to be able to rotate (before the wings were added).
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:09 am

I'm assuming the mower deck is 3-point mounted. Since you have an H with a 3-point, you can use the hydraulics and top link to adjust the mower deck height and cutting angle.

The H will handle a 5 foot mower.
I have an excuse. CRS.

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:15 pm

On the mower, do you mean oil leaks?---Might be a bottom seal out.---once put into use the gearbox will probably never hold oil, until seals are replaced.---- if standard seals, no big deal, BUT if brand specific seals,-- that could be a problem.---If it's a Woods brand then your good,--if something else, then,----well----it's a toss-up.--just my .0002!!
The blade at 8' is a bit much for the H, but as stated, chop that sucker off! lol!!

As for price and condition, IF it were me, I wouldn't even consider $ 230. for the lot!--$ 100. would be plenty, but it's your call, so good luck, and hope it turns out well for you!!! thanks; sonny

pokitisme
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 64132
Skype Name: Pokitisme
Tractors Owned: 1948 international Harvester Farmall h

Postby pokitisme » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:44 am

Yes thanks guys. I put some pictures up on another post here asking about the brand of the brush hog. I paid 200 today for the brush hog and the blade. The nut on the blade is Frozen in place it would take a 2in socket or something to break it Loose I don't believe I'll have a problem with that. But you're right it is pretty heavy. As to the oil leaks I don't think it's actually oil leaks. I have completely forgotten to check the oil on it LOL any suggestions on what type of oil or fluid to use in the gearbox. I did check out the blades today they seem to be in pretty good order they swing freely and there is no wiggle in The Cutting bar which I have heard that if it Wiggles left or right that means that there is a seal out and could cause lots of damage. The entire cutting blade and arm swings without a wobble at all.
Favorite quotes by me. If you want to you can but if you don't you wont... most possibly yes but maybe no.... and as always buy guns keep America free

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Don McCombs » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:52 am

85-140, 80-90 or 90 should be acceptable for the gearbox. If the seal leaks with any of those, try corn head grease.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor