This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Don't Let This Happen To You!

Have a safety tip you want to share? Did you or a friend learn it the hard way? Help someone else by posting your tips on tractor, farm, shop, lawn, garden, kitchen, etc., safety.
Forum rules
Safety is an important and often overlooked topic. Make safety a part of your everyday life and let others know how much you care by making their lives safer too. Let the next generation of tractor enthusiasts benefit from your experience, and maybe save a life or appendages.
Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100
Circle of Safety: Y

Don't Let This Happen To You!

Postby Barnyard » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:49 pm

This afternoon I took my Kubota with mower and front bucket down to our 4x4 grounds to do some work in preparation for our race this weekend. As I walked past the hitch after loading to go home I saw this.

trailer-hitch1.jpg
trailer-hitch1.jpg (56.44 KiB) Viewed 2303 times

The other day I had used my smaller trailer with the 2" ball, but today I needed the bigger trailer with the 2 5/16" bal. My hitch has a ball on top and one on the bottom that is rotated to select the ball size needed. I had forgotten to rotate the bigger ball to the top and put the 2 5/16" coupler on the 2" ball.

I had driven ten miles from home to where I was using the tractor and I am guessing the trailer dislodged after pulling onto our grounds.

I will now color coordinate the tip of each hitch to match the color of it's respective ball so I know I have the right one whenever I switch trailers.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Bill E Bob
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 74070

Re: Don't Let This Happen To You!

Postby Bill E Bob » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:12 pm

Yes, I can see where it might be difficult differentiating shades of Ferric Oxide :lol:

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:15 pm

Bill E Bob wrote:Yes, I can see where it might be difficult differentiating shades of Ferric Oxide :lol:

Yeah, each ball will be painted to match the tip of the trailer tongue too. :lol:
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:26 pm

Many years ago when I had not had a lot of experience pulling a trailer I made a trip to my wife's folks pulling a camper. Coming back, when I got on some of the rougher roads, I thought that trailer is sure making a lot of noise. Finally back home I backed the trailer in to it's parking spot and went around to unhitch it to discover I had not closed the hitch. Only time in my life I was glad it had that much tongue weight.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:34 pm

You lead a charmed life.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

Jackman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12487

Postby Jackman » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:51 pm

Hope your chains were crossed that's important when they unexpectedly disconnect, I put a pintle ball hitch on my truck that gives two points of lock for added safety :idea:

Steve Butram
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 47906
eBay ID: steveb05
Tractors Owned: 1947 in well used condition
1948 restored
Nice original 1950 just out of the Demo Range
628 2 wheel Trailer
1950 Demo
Tryke
Rat Cub

Postby Steve Butram » Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:27 am

Probably happened when you unloaded. lucky for you the coupler didn't ride up and destroy the tailgate.
Be prepared to be unprepared Seth Goden

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:27 am

Guilty!! Much like your story, I too had been using my 2" ball for my small trailer. Not thinking, I hooked up my big trailer and drove to a friends house, about 15 miles away, to load a tractor to bring home. As I drove the tractor onto the trailer, the hitch lifted off the ball. I backed the tractor off the trailer, unhooked the chains & light cord and drove the truck back home to switch ball mounts. No damage was done, but I was sure glad no one was watching. John, I too have stopped to check my load and discovered that I hadn't locked my coupler down. A few potentially bad situations, like this, have made me extra vigilent with trailer hook up.

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:50 am

It's a valuable lesson to be learned when an accident shows itself before it happens. Glad to see that was all that came out of it--no one injured.
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:49 am

For the last 20 or so years I have used the Tow-Power convertible ball mounts. Very handy but do require some maintenance, mainly periodic removal of the ball and oiling the mechanism. Never have to wonder if I have the right size trailer ball, and using it I have more of a tendency to check that the right size ball is on the hitch.

They are still available, but I think the manufacturer has discontinued them, however, Convert-a-Ball still makes a similar version.

http://accessories.etrailer.com/search? ... &view=list

RUSSALL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 19344

Postby RUSSALL » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:13 am

I have a lot of knuckleheads in my neighborhood. So when I leave a trailer hooked up overnight, I always check the hitch, chains and lights before I move it.

Russ
1979 International Cub (Artie),193 plow,22 sickle mower,144 cultivator,54a blade,59" belly mower,wheel weights
1944 John Deere B , A-3 B-3 two way plow.....Grandpa's Deere,Still can't find his FARMALL A

Denny Clayton
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45365
Tractors Owned: Home to "Rusty", the 2007 and 2009 Cub Tug Champion.

Postby Denny Clayton » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:14 am

Gary Dotson wrote:Guilty!! Much like your story, I too had been using my 2" ball for my small trailer. Not thinking, I hooked up my big trailer and drove to a friends house, about 15 miles away, to load a tractor to bring home. As I drove the tractor onto the trailer, the hitch lifted off the ball. I backed the tractor off the trailer, unhooked the chains & light cord and drove the truck back home to switch ball mounts. No damage was done, but I was sure glad no one was watching. John, I too have stopped to check my load and discovered that I hadn't locked my coupler down. A few potentially bad situations, like this, have made me extra vigilent with trailer hook up.

:Dito: :Dito: :oops: :oops:

I now always use a clip pin in the closed hitch when I hookup the light cord.
'61 Lo-Boy
'60 FH Lo-Boy
'60 Lo-Boy
'57 FH Cub "Rusty" (CubTug winner 2007 & 2009)
Member of Ohio Chapter 6
Circle of Safety

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:09 pm

Denny Clayton wrote:.........I now always use a clip pin in the closed hitch when I hookup the light cord.
Also, make sure they are the rights size pin. Some of the hitches are designed for 1/4 inch pins, and some for 5/16 inch pins. I put a 1/4" pin in a hitch made for a 5/16" pin, and discovered the coupler could be opened and closed with the pin in place. The hitch I was dealing with used a plate with a notch for the pin to go through, and the smaller pin would slip out of the notch.

Mr E
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32460
eBay ID: noles1432460

Postby Mr E » Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:05 pm

Gary Dotson wrote:Guilty!! Much like your story, I too had been using my 2" ball for my small trailer. Not thinking, I hooked up my big trailer and drove to a friends house, about 15 miles away, to load a tractor to bring home. As I drove the tractor onto the trailer, the hitch lifted off the ball. I backed the tractor off the trailer, unhooked the chains & light cord and drove the truck back home to switch ball mounts. No damage was done, but I was sure glad no one was watching. John, I too have stopped to check my load and discovered that I hadn't locked my coupler down. A few potentially bad situations, like this, have made me extra vigilent with trailer hook up.

Hmm, I'd never admit to doing this. :oops: :oops:
In the middle of every difficulty lies opportunity. - Albert Einstein

Image. Circle of Safety

Roy Edenfield
Deep South CubFest #10
February 14 & 15, 2020

leerenovations
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 74857
Tractors Owned: 1948 McCormick Farmall Cub (Farmalice), 1949 Ford 8N (Red), Unidentified horse drawn road grader with 8 ft moldboard.

Postby leerenovations » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:10 pm

At least I can see that you have safety chains on that, around here I cant count the number of people I see that dont have any safety chains on at all, they usually just clip the chains around the trailer toungue and never use them.
Tractors are like watermelons: the RED is good and you throw away the GREEN.