This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

1948 Cub won't turn two full revolutions with crank

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
stoneridgecub
Zip Code: 18092

1948 Cub won't turn two full revolutions with crank

Postby stoneridgecub » Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:50 pm

Have a 48 cub which was really tired 5 years ago. Parked it and figured I would get to some form of rebuild later. Last fall went to try to start it and realized a leak in exhaust pipe had filled #4 with water and engine was seized. Pulled head and filled cylinders with ATF. Did that about a half dozen times over the winter and spring.

This weekend I took a hand sledge and a 1" oak dowel and started hitting on #4 and #1 piston alternately . Moved! So I tapped them down to bottom of stroke and then took a hone to #4 to clean it up a bit (pretty rusty). Soap and water cleaned #4 a few times and then wiped oil on all of them.

Took the hand crank and started turning. Went almost two full revolutions easily and then STOPPED. #4 was almost at TDC on firing stroke according to Mag location. Then I turned the engine backwards by hand (moved easily) until it went almost two full Revs backwards and then STOPPED. Now #4 was at the bottom of stroke. So something is preventing me from rotating through #4 TDC in forward direction and from going past BDC in reverse direction. It sounds like a hard stop and I don't want to force anything with the hand crank

Tractor is in neutral, PTO disengaged, with the starter and Mag still in.

Haven't seen anything like this before, what am I missing? Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks

MiCarl
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 48154
Tractors Owned: 2021 RK25 "Barbie"
1944 Farmall H
1948 Farmall Cub (SOLD)
1994 Speedex 1631
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: 1948 Cub won't turn two full revolutions with crank

Postby MiCarl » Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:00 pm

Every other revolution sounds like valve train.

I'd start by looking at the #4 valves since that's where you had water.
1944 Farmall H
1948 Farmall Cub
1994 Speedex 1631

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:31 pm

MiCarl wrote:Every other revolution sounds like valve train. I'd start by looking at the #4 valves since that's where you had water.
You should be able to see the non stuck valves moving when you rotate the engine.

While there, lubricate the unstuck valve stems.
I have an excuse. CRS.

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:29 am

sounds like valve rusted shut to me.

stoneridgecub
Zip Code: 18092

Postby stoneridgecub » Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:46 pm

Yes, #3 exhaust is really stuck. Tried spraying KROIL and letting sit, then tried heat on valve. So far nothing has worked.