Worn Front Adjustable Axle Holes and Pin

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Gary Puckett
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 30188

Worn Front Adjustable Axle Holes and Pin

Postby Gary Puckett » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:08 pm

The holes in the front adjustable axle are worn oblong enough to give the wheel back and forth movement on the left side. I am wondering if the clamps can be tight enough to prevent this or does it depend on a tight fit with the pins. The pins are not worn that much; the wear is in the axle. Is there a solution for this short of drilling bigger with a oversize pin? The good news is that I can slide the axle out by hand, at least on that side. I guess it was driven with loose clamps for many years.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Worn Front Adjustable Axle Holes and Pin

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:53 pm

I had one worn like that. It stayed pretty well unless I hit something pretty hard. In 25 years or so, I had to reset it maybe 3 times. I have since swapped that axle out (due to another problem). If you have the right tools and skills, you could probably weld and grind to get the hole back close to the original shape.

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:10 pm

Depending on how much it's worn, you might be able to shim it with a slice of pipe.
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Glen
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:01 am

Hi,
As I understand the working of that, the clamp is what holds the movable part of the axle tight in place. The pin does not. The pin sets the adjustment to the right position.

Check the tilt of the spindle tube, the long tube that is vertical, it should be tilted ahead at the bottom. If needed, jack up the front slightly, so the weight is off the tire, and turn the spindle tube so it has the correct tilt ahead at the bottom, the other side should be tilted ahead at the bottom also.
If the clamp is loose, and the pin is worn, the tube might be tilted back.

Then tighten the clamp bolts until the tube is tight.
If the bolts are rusty and the nuts don't turn well, you could remove the bolts, and run a die on the threads, and a tap into the nuts, and clean the threads.
If it is not worn lots, the clamps should tighten the tubes together snugly.

Below is a page from the 1955 Cub owner's manual, you can see the tilt ahead of the tubes in the pics. :)

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... e%2003.jpg

Gary Puckett
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby Gary Puckett » Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:00 pm

Glen
I followed your instructions, measured the other side against the final drive for a reference, and it tightened up fine. Thanks

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:17 pm

If you have not done it I suggest you remove the bolts and use a wire wheel on them where the nut stops, or maybe replace them (fine thread bolts). They frequently have a bulid up of rust etc. right where the nut stops that binds the nut preventing it from completely clamping the axle.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

jsfarmall
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 72454
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub "Trusty"
1948 Cub "Rusty"
1948 Cub "Bob"
1948 Cub "Sallie" (wife's tractor)
1965 IH Cub "Annie"
1943 Farmall H
1953 Farmall Super M (granddad's tractor)

Postby jsfarmall » Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:28 pm

If your holes are too worn and good with a welder, get a brass rod the size of the pin. Put the rod in the hole and weld up the gap. As long as your welder isn't blistering hot which it shouldn't be anyway, the weld won't stick to the brass rod. Take a hammer and knock it out. There will be some finish work with a drill and grinder with a flap wheel but won't take long. But if it stays good n tight like it is then no worries.
1948 Cub "Trusty"
1948 Cub "Rusty" mower tractor, trimmed ear dash
1948 Cub "Bob"
1948 Cub "Sallie"
1965 IH Cub "Annie" mower tractor,
1943 Farmall H,
1953 Farmall Super M

Gary Puckett
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby Gary Puckett » Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:40 pm

Thanks John. I gave them the tap and die treatment and they cleaned up fine.

Gary Puckett
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby Gary Puckett » Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:45 pm

jsfarmall, that is a good idea. About 50 years ago, a very skilled welder replaced a missing ear on a starter for me. He put a carbon rod in the center and brazed it back to normal shape and the carbon rod dropped out.

Glen
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:45 am

Hi,
I should have put in my post above, that if the holes and pin are worn some, it would be better to weld them, and restore the right shapes. :)

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:46 am

My understanding is that the pins and holes they are in are an indexing and safety feature to make sure it does not fall on it's nose, which I have seen pictures of on bigger tractors that the pins were left out and the clamps not properly installed. I worry much more about the clamps than the wear on the holes. When you find one with those holes worn there is a good possibility you will also find the rest has not been very well maintained either.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Gary Puckett
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby Gary Puckett » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:30 am

John,
I had not even thought of the safety feature. This thread gets better and better.