This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Bought a new Cub today

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Waif
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 49343
Tractors Owned: 48 Farmall Cub "Seen Yore Dobbin"
53 F-Cub W/Loader.
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Bought a new Cub today

Postby Waif » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:53 am

Bear with me. Only what I'd run through myself.

When it quits with the symptom of no fuel left in the carb , is the carb really dry/empty? Pulling the plug right away would be telling. If it is dry , recheck gravity flow and venting of fuel.

Another symptom is it dying when choke is moved to off. What position is the actual choke plate in when you have it in "off" position?
I ask because I've had the choke lever on the engine side of carb move more than once, and was choking the carb when I thought I was turning choke off. It was easier to recognize the second time. l.o.l.
A burr on the clamp was making the screw feel seated tight when it wasn't.

Is the air intake system clear? As well as valves functioning ? It's not huge vacuum but it matters she's breathing.
One tractor came home with a very strange (and dense) goop of oily insects in the oil cup of the air intake. That led to cleaning top to bottom. The intake screen might have had mud daubers working it , the screen was pretty filled in. Flush with screen though , so someone previously might have cleaned the worst of it off the outside.(?)

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:38 pm

Needle valve sticking.
Any of the 3 screens needs cleaning.
Obstructed passage from tank into sediment bowl.
Obstructed fuel line.

Start with any of these you haven't check yet, then return to the ones you have.

k hutchins
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48843
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
193 plow
1948 snow/grading blade
Woods 59 C3
Cub 144 cultivator
Cub 22 mower
Cub 172 one row planter
Original manuals for all the above

Postby k hutchins » Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:03 pm

Ok, before reattaching the carb l checked the flow on the line by openning the shut off. All great. So tank screen, sediment bowl, and line are clear.
I double double checked the air cleaner, no problem there. I reattached the carb with the exception of the air hose and attempted a start. Got nothing until l pulled the plug on the bottom of the carb to verify l've got gas. Secured it back in place, choked, crank. It started, choke off, ran for 20-30 seconds and died. Pulled the plug at that point after shutting off gas. The bowl was empty.
I believe the float maybe touching inside the bowl when assembled. I'm not sure how to verify this since it drops when you seperate the top and bottom. Should l be able to hear it when l turn it over? Or maybe incerting something through the plug hole to verify it's moving freely.
I'm scratching my head wishing it was made out of glass so l could see what's happening. :help:
Why is there never enough time to do the job right, but always enough time to do it over. :?:

indy61
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby indy61 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:17 pm

k hutchins wrote:I believe the float maybe touching inside the bowl when assembled. I'm not sure how to verify this since it drops when you seperate the top and bottom. Should l be able to hear it when l turn it over?

Yes you should be able to hear the float moving by turning the carb upside down and back.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:20 pm

Check to see if one side of the fuel bowl is bent in a bit.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:21 pm

Did you check the screen where the fuel line attaches to the carburetor?

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:47 pm

There are two situations where manipulating the choke will change performance. Insufficient fuel and too much air. Sounds like you’ve investigated the insufficient fuel fairly thoroughly. To check for too much air, look for a loose or cracked manifold, or a missing or cracked manifold or carb intake flange gasket.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

k hutchins
10+ Years
10+ Years
193 plow
1948 snow/grading blade
Woods 59 C3
Cub 144 cultivator
Cub 22 mower
Cub 172 one row planter

Postby k hutchins » Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:57 pm

I may have discovered my problem.
20200714_193838.jpg
Bottom of bowl to edge 1 9/16

20200714_194004.jpg
Edge to bottom of float 1 7/8

By my calculations even with a 1/16 thick gasket when not compressed. The float is hitting the bottom of the bowl and pushing up at least an 1/8 of an inch. That's a lot when you consider it's only supposed to move 3/16 to open and close the needle valve.

Now the hard part. Remedies?
Why is there never enough time to do the job right, but always enough time to do it over. :?:

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:23 pm

In your second photo you say you have the float drop at 1 7/8" (looks like 2" on the tape). The drop should only be 1.6", not 1.88". Looks like it's dropping over 1/4" too much. What is the float height now?
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

k hutchins
10+ Years
10+ Years
193 plow
1948 snow/grading blade
Woods 59 C3
Cub 144 cultivator
Cub 22 mower
Cub 172 one row planter

Postby k hutchins » Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:39 pm

The pic was a poor angle, it actually measured 1 7/8-1 15/16 to the bottom of the bowl from the top frame. The bowl is only 1 9/16 deep. So by my calculations it's hitting the bottom of the bowl and pushing up far enough to close the needle.
Studying the closer, l believe the float is upside down. If l turned it over, reversed the tab, and adjusted the drop. I believe it would be centered in the bowl instead of haning it so low it hits the bottom and pushes up.

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:22 pm

I'd suggest resetting the float height and drop to the correct numbers. See if the problem persists. I've not heard of a float having the tab bent backwards, and I think you'd break it off if you try that. The needle doesn't need to move much to allow gas to enter the bowl.
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

ctltmp
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 26047
Tractors Owned: 1949 Farmall Cub
1947 Farmall Cub
1954 Farmall Cub

Postby ctltmp » Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:39 pm

Bob McCarty wrote:In your second photo you say you have the float drop at 1 7/8" (looks like 2" on the tape). The drop should only be 1.6", not 1.88". Looks like it's dropping over 1/4" too much. What is the float height now?

Bob's numbers are correct for float adjustment. When the carburetor is inverted (float in up position) the measurement should be 1.4". When the float is in the down position (drop). Should be 1.6".
WV Mike

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:04 pm

k hutchins wrote:Studying the closer, l believe the float is upside down.

Before you do anything to the float, post a photo of it uninstalled. Just the float.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:00 am

Hi,
Below is a listing for a new float at TM Tractor, the tab on the float has to face up.
Then the tab hits the side of the seat when the float goes down.
You can look at the pic on the left in the listing, and see if your float is the same.

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/fl/655fp.htm

Below is a page from the Cub service manual showing the float and the tab, in the upper left pic.
The lower 2 pics are for a Zenith carburetor, disregard those, except that the IH carb float level is set in the same way as the pic in the lower right of the page, the top half of the carb off of the bottom half, and upside down, with the float in place.
Use the specs for an IH carb, if you have an IH carb.
Also, the float level on the IH carb is set without the gasket in place. :)

http://www.farmallcub.info/manuals/gss- ... 002-09.jpg

k hutchins
10+ Years
10+ Years
193 plow
1948 snow/grading blade
Woods 59 C3
Cub 144 cultivator
Cub 22 mower
Cub 172 one row planter

Postby k hutchins » Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:02 am

20200715_064051.jpg
Float at full drop

20200715_064250.jpg
Float at full rise

Hey guys, thanks for the input.
After sleeping on it lastnight, instead of reversing the tab and turning the float over. I think I can just bend it up on it's "arm". Looking at how much space there is between the top of the float and the body of the carb when it's up, l think I can bend it at the connection (carefully) so it won't hit the top and won't drop so far to hit the bottom when assembled. If l don't change the tab, l should still get my 3/16 drop to open the needle.