This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Rear tire thoughts and feelings

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Longtree
Zip Code: 07421
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub (#69655)

Re: Rear tire thoughts and feelings

Postby Longtree » Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:20 am

Glen wrote:Below is a pic of the marking in a Cub rim, it has the date when it was made also, to the left of the size. :)

Glen - that rim is amazing....I wonder if mine has a date inside too - its in my garden shed awaiting cleanup and paint - now I'm curious. After cleaning all the crud and rust off of the front wheels I bought, I found maker names and info on them too. To the newbie who likes detail, it's like finding little bits of treasure. Cool!

I work a fulltime job yet despite this Covid thing, so getting pix right now is a challenge, but I'll see if I could maybe do so by the weekend....

It sounds like you guys are all pretty much saying to stick with what I have or go used. Which is not what I expected, but I like the idea of saving some cash, keeping stuff out of the landfills and hanging on to a bit of the older "detail" of the thing. I worry about the bead of the one with the wrecked rim, but I guess thats a bridge to cross when I come to it. Interesting thoughts - thanks folks :)

Urbish
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48158
Tractors Owned: ~
1958 International Cub LoBoy
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B
2022 Massey Ferguson GC1723E Subcompact

Cub Loboy L-54 Leveling and Grader Blade
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Urbish » Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:38 am

If you do end up buying new tires, you can't go wrong with Carlisle. But there are many other good brands.
Jim

Circle of Safety

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:30 am

Look at eBay for new ag tires with tubes either tucker tire or miller tire look for free shipping. New rims too. You can upgrade to 9.5x24 tires/ tubes.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

Clemsonfor
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 29848
Tractors Owned: Yanmar YM2000
Yanmar YM186 (non running)
1952 Farmall Cub

Postby Clemsonfor » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:17 am

Most people who have working tractors run the tires till they will no longer hold the tube in. Or so cracked or missing so many pieces of rubber the tube keeps getting poked and going flat, OR they are totally smooth. These are not like car tires where you can be going 80mph in traffic down the interstate and a blowout can kill you or others. Most people here I don't think make a living with their cub so down time is not like a current big ag farmer where it kills him to be down. So most of us the worse problem to have on a blow out is you stop work where you are. If the tire it totally destroyed from a real blow out you can just drive back to the yard or barn. If the tube just got a hole and the tire is still good drive your truck and trailer down there, take it off and then go get it fixed.

Dusty B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61736
Tractors Owned: '45 SC Case

Postby Dusty B » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:19 pm

Just FYI I think many of the irrigation systems use the 8.3 X 24 tires ? Possible source for used tires??
Grandpa's '41 B
'56,,'57,'59, Cu'b
'45 C
'55 Case S
Dad's DB garden tractor
'48 DeSoto
'31 "A Coup
'79 Lincoln TC
God looks out for those of us who don't know how to look out for ourselves!

Longtree
Zip Code: 07421
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub (#69655)

Postby Longtree » Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:32 pm

Clemsonfor wrote:Most people who have working tractors run the tires till they will no longer hold the tube in. Or so cracked or missing so many pieces of rubber the tube keeps getting poked and going flat, OR they are totally smooth. These are not like car tires where you can be going 80mph in traffic down the interstate and a blowout can kill you or others. Most people here I don't think make a living with their cub so down time is not like a current big ag farmer where it kills him to be down. So most of us the worse problem to have on a blow out is you stop work where you are. If the tire it totally destroyed from a real blow out you can just drive back to the yard or barn. If the tube just got a hole and the tire is still good drive your truck and trailer down there, take it off and then go get it fixed.

Its really sounding like what I already have is the best way to go haha. Hopefully when I wrestle it off of the rusty rim, the most worrisome tire is doing alright and then I will just see about putting 'em back on. Would prefer to have "original" tires anyway and I like I said above - I dont see myself using it for much hard labor, so if you all say old rubber is fine until it falls off, then I'm game to do it.

Thank you everyone for your input!

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:25 pm

Hi,
When you change the rear tire to another rim, remember to put it on facing the right way, so the wheel width can be adjusted like the Cub operator's manual shows.
The right and left rear tires face opposite ways on the rims, so one is used on the left, and one is used on the right, and the treads both face ahead, with the R1, ag tread. Usually there are directional arrows on the side of the tires.
I'm not sure if there are directional arrows on the turf tires.

When changing a tire, be careful and don't pinch the tube against the rim with the tire tools, it can cut the tube.
When the tire is on the rim, and you inflate it, inflate it once, then let all the air out, all that will come out, then inflate it again. This help straighten out any folds in the tube, the tube can be in the wrong position in places, and have folds in it. Deflating it once helps the tube to move so the folds are straightened out. The tube can fail in time where the folds are.

Rear Cub tires use low pressure, unless you are lifting heavy loads on the rear.
12 psi works well for normal use. You can use more if you want.
Below is a page from the 1965 Cub operator's manual showing rear tire pressures, in the table.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... age-50.jpg

Below are pressures for the front tires. I use about 30 psi, it steers easier than lower pressures.
Your tires probably need to be good to use the higher pressures.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... age-49.jpg

It's good to widen the rear of a Cub out to the 44" wheel spacing shown in the operator's manual, it makes it a little more stable. That is as wide as it goes with the rear wheel discs turned in.

When removing rear wheels or rims from a Cub, you should use wood wedges in the front axle pivot. Cubs are heavier on the left side, and they can tip over when removing weight from the right rear area.
If you widen the rear rims to the 44" setting, you have to remove both rims at the same time.
You leave the center disc where it is now.
Below is the page from the 1965 Cub operator's manual, showing the spacing. It is the right rear wheel in the pic.
44" is above the tire outline. There are other spacings too.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... age-46.jpg

If the Cub has an adjustable width front axle, it can be changed to match the rear spacing.
Sometimes the axle tubes are rusted inside, and hard to move.

Below is a pic of the front axle wedges. You will need to make them. Drive them in tight with a hammer. Be sure the small end is not hitting in the pivot, the wedge has to be tight on the top and bottom sides. :)
Attachments
Cub wedges 2.jpg

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:50 pm

Dusty B wrote:Just FYI I think many of the irrigation systems use the 8.3 X 24 tires ? Possible source for used tires??

Those center pivot irrigation systems are HARD on tires. There's usually less than nothing left of them by the time the farmer takes them off.

8.3x24 are about the least expensive ag tire you can buy new. Might be fun to treat the tractor to new shoes for once, but keep in mind sun is hard on modern rubber, so if the tractor is kept indoors, all the better.

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Postby outdoors4evr » Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:38 am

Old tires get very hard and are really difficult to mount and dismount.
If changing a rim I would be VERY inclined to put on new rubber. (Especially if I am the person mounting the tire)

If paying a company to mount the tire, then using the old tire would probably be fine.
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

Rick Spivey
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 29518

Postby Rick Spivey » Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:15 am

outdoors4evr wrote:Old tires get very hard and are really difficult to mount and dismount.
If changing a rim I would be VERY inclined to put on new rubber. (Especially if I am the person mounting the tire)

If paying a company to mount the tire, then using the old tire would probably be fine.

I was debating whether to chime in, this post made me do it. My experience was that the old tire bead stuck to the rim so badly that I tore pieces of rubber out when removing it. Since it had a tube I might could have re-used it, but I had a good used set to replace it with. On your rusted out rim, don't be surprised if you don't see something similar.
Rick Spivey
'52 Cub ("Great Personality") 148xxx
'48 Cub with FH ("Gunny Cub") 38xxx
'57 Lambretta (a slow work in progress)
'74 Triumph TR6 (Mama's toy)

Clemsonfor
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 29848
Tractors Owned: Yanmar YM2000
Yanmar YM186 (non running)
1952 Farmall Cub

Postby Clemsonfor » Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:16 am

Rick Spivey wrote:
outdoors4evr wrote:Old tires get very hard and are really difficult to mount and dismount.

I was debating whether to chime in, this post made me do it. My experience was that the old tire bead stuck to the rim so badly that I tore pieces of rubber out when removing it. Since it had a tube I might could have re-used it, but I had a good used set to replace it with. On your rusted out rim, don't be surprised if you don't see something similar.

This is a real possibility, this happens even on like automotive tires that ha e been mounted a long time, the bead of the tire will tear on dismount.

But a tube will still allow a tire that has some portions missing to be used as he says.

I agree I think a center pivot would run them till bald or blown out. And 8.3x24 are relatively cheap. With tubes I think you can have them shipped to your house for under $400, for some of the generic brands.

v w
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49053

Postby v w » Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:57 am

Walmart handles a few. They will ship to store at no cost. This is the lowest priced one for $133. I've never heard of BKT tires. I can get a tire from a local dealer for $200, can't remember brand. Vern

https://www.walmart.com/ip/BKT-TR-135-8 ... /716642183

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:40 am

BKT is made in India.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Don B.
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 25314
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub (looks pretty)
1951 Cub (does the work)
1952 Cub (sold)

Postby Don B. » Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:04 pm

Don McCombs wrote:BKT is made in India.

I suspect the Indian tires are very quiet in the woods.

:lol:
Circle of Safety

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:34 pm

Spoken like a true ridge runner. :lol:
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor