This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Removing Ye Ole Right Brake Pedal

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
JohnnyR
Zip Code: 31088
Tractors Owned: 1952 Super A

Removing Ye Ole Right Brake Pedal

Postby JohnnyR » Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:27 pm

I've got a couple things that need to be fixed on my SA. Not serious problems right now, but they do need to be addressed.

The one I'm dealing with right now is the right side brake pedal. It's got almost a half inch lateral movement (side-to-side) when depressed. I've looked it over and it seems either the right brake shaft is warn, or the opening on the brake pedal itself is egged out. It must have gone a long time without grease. Anyway since I have a little down time I decided to tackle the fix. The first problem was to get the pedal off and broken down to see what was causing all the slop.

Removing the pedal/mounting bracket was simple. Removing the pedal locking screw wasn't a problem. I initially thought the pedal might be pressed onto the shaft but there is no keyway, only the locking screw (tapered end goes into at conical hole in the shaft). With a tapered screw I don't see how the pedal can be pressed on (it would be impossible to line up and install).

Bottom line is, the pedal won't move off the shaft. Gentle persuasion, a few love taps with a two pound hammer, and a little heat haven't done the trick. I see nothing else holding the brake pedal on the shaft.

Anyone out there tackled this before. Looking for how to skin this cat.

Thanks in advance
Right Brake.JPG

SamsFarm
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 44410
Tractors Owned: 1968 Cub Fast Hitch
LF-1 Platform Carrier
144 Cultivators
L-F194 Plow(s)
F38 Disk
L-F3 Spring Tooth Harrow
CS Bell No. 60 Grain Mill on a unmodified Fast Hitch Disk hitch prong
Home Made Fast Hitch Potato Plow
54A Blade

Couple 1948 Cubs
172 Runner Planter
53 Fertilizer
Cub-3 Field Cultivator
Cub-189 Two Way Plow
Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower
Mechanical Transplanter with side mount barrel (needs a fast hitch adapter) :)

Misc Belly Mowers

Wish List
International 100 Fast Hitch Blade
Mott Fast Hitch Flail Mower

Wish Wish Wish List
Fast Hitch Rotary Hoe
4E hammer mill

Re: Removing Ye Ole Right Brake Pedal

Postby SamsFarm » Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:06 am

JohnnyR wrote:
The one I'm dealing with right now is the right side brake pedal.

Bottom line is, the pedal won't move off the shaft. Gentle persuasion, a few love taps with a two pound hammer, and a little heat haven't done the trick. I see nothing else holding the brake pedal on the shaft.

RUST! :( Thats my bet!

Maybe try soaking it with pb blaster! Give it a little 2 to 3 times over the corse of each day, in the hole where the tapered screw goes too.

Set it so the tapered screw hole faces up and you can fill the hole with the pb blaster!

Then after a day or two, put part #12 in a vice or use a crecent wrench on it and try to turn it some!

If it moves make sure to add some more pb blaster here and there as you work it back and forth!

Good luck!

JohnnyR

Postby JohnnyR » Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:55 pm

I appreciate the input. Sounds like a likely cause and a good plan.

I'll give it a shot.

Thanks again

Mht
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 27606
Tractors Owned: 1949 farmall cub(building from parts) 1950 farmall cub
1971 David Brown 880 selectamatic
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Mht » Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:18 pm

I don’t have a super a but have had the same problem on cubs I have refurbished. I’d suggest a lot of heat instead of a little. Turn it red with heat and as soon as it’s cooled enough that your favorite penetrating oil doesn’t vaporize on contact spray liberally several times until things are completely cool. I’ll bet it will start moving on the shaft then. If not repeat the process. I find I damage less parts with my torch than with my hammer

EZ
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: P0M1Z0
Tractors Owned: 49 Cub
67 International Cub Loboy
57 Farmall 130

Postby EZ » Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:18 pm

I too have tackled this job.
After some time messing with it at home with no success, I took it over the mechanic.
He used his press to get it off the shaft. Took all of 3 seconds.
Just Do It !

JohnnyR

Postby JohnnyR » Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:25 pm

I've no doubt that rust is the root cause of the problem. The soaking and heating uncovered some old scars on the end of the shaft. I suspect someone "attacked" this problem with a big hammer (putting a little mushroom on the end of the shave), then decided to just let it go.

In any case, think I'm going to pick-up a press in a few days. That will let me get the assembly separated so I can see who/what needs to be replace.

I've no doubt the press will come in handy later on.

I appreciate everyone's inputs.

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bob McCarty » Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:27 pm

I've had a HF 20 ton press for years with no problems. The 12 ton is sometimes to small to fit pieces into it. Look for a sale or 20% off coupon if there is one near you.
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

ajhbike
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 06405
Tractors Owned: 1957 Cub
1951 Super C
1966 IH 504 Hi-Clear
1968 JD 3020
1949 JD B
1949 Ford 8N
1955 Ferguson TO-35

Postby ajhbike » Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:05 pm

Wait till you get to the left pedal.....they are worse

JohnnyR

Postby JohnnyR » Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:18 pm

Yep, 20 ton press did the trick. Took every bit of 5 minutes to separate the pedal from the shaft (and 4 minutes 30 seconds of that was set up time).

Rust was the cause of the pedal not wanting to be separated from the shaft.
Looks like the pedal is in fairly good shape and I can reuse it. The shaft is definitely where the majority of the problem came from. I'll be looking for a replacement.

I think the bracket might be OK, but we'll see how it behaves on the replacement shaft.

I appreciate everyone's input.

JohnnyR

Postby JohnnyR » Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:01 am

Well, the new shaft is a definite improvement but the pedal still has more wobble than I like. I knew the opening in the bracket was worn and "egged" out slightly but I was hoping it would be useable. Oh well, let's just get'er done.

Thinking about having the bracket opening reamed true and having a bushing installed. Then having the bushing reamed to match the shaft diameter.

If any of you have experience with this type repair on one of these old tractors I'd appreciate your input.

Thanks in advance

JohnnyR

Postby JohnnyR » Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:37 pm

Yep, trued up the "egged" out hole in the pedal, pressed in a bronze bushing, reamed it to the diameter of the new shaft, and all's good.